B+W MRC Filters - how easy to clean?

Old August 16th 06, 03:15 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
chasfs

Default B+W MRC Filters - how easy to clean?

I'm looking to buy a set of UV filters for my Pentax 6x7 lenses and am
considering the B+W MRC filters. A local camera store told me that
they cost more and are much harder to clean than the non-MRC B+W
filters. Does anyone have real world experience of this? Any other
filter recommendations?
Thanks!
-chasfs
http://chasfs.com

Old August 16th 06, 03:21 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
David J. Littleboy

"chasfs" wrote:
I'm looking to buy a set of UV filters for my Pentax 6x7 lenses and am
considering the B+W MRC filters. A local camera store told me that
they cost more and are much harder to clean than the non-MRC B+W
filters. Does anyone have real world experience of this? Any other
filter recommendations?

Use lens caps and be careful.

My experience is that "protective" filters are essentially always dirty,
since one is less careful of them than one is of one's lenses.

So your images will be sharper if you don't use them.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old August 16th 06, 03:35 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Greg \_\

In article ,
"David J. Littleboy" wrote:

"chasfs" wrote:
I'm looking to buy a set of UV filters for my Pentax 6x7 lenses and am
considering the B+W MRC filters. A local camera store told me that
they cost more and are much harder to clean than the non-MRC B+W
filters. Does anyone have real world experience of this? Any other
filter recommendations?

Use lens caps and be careful.

My experience is that "protective" filters are essentially always dirty,
since one is less careful of them than one is of one's lenses.

So your images will be sharper if you don't use them.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Maybe so but not having a protective filter or lens cap is a bad
idea......and on can always take off the filter. Personally I don't use
UV filters....except the digital camera.
--
Reality-Is finding that perfect picture
and never looking back.

www.gregblankphoto.com
Old August 16th 06, 03:37 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
David J. Littleboy

"Greg "_"" wrote in message
"David J. Littleboy" wrote:

"chasfs" wrote:
I'm looking to buy a set of UV filters for my Pentax 6x7 lenses and am
considering the B+W MRC filters. A local camera store told me that
they cost more and are much harder to clean than the non-MRC B+W
filters. Does anyone have real world experience of this? Any other
filter recommendations?

Use lens caps and be careful.

My experience is that "protective" filters are essentially always dirty,
since one is less careful of them than one is of one's lenses.

So your images will be sharper if you don't use them.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Maybe so but not having a protective filter or lens cap is a bad
idea......

Notice that the first thing I said was "use lens caps".

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old August 16th 06, 07:22 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Stacey

David J. Littleboy wrote:

"Greg "_"" wrote in message

Maybe so but not having a protective filter or lens cap is a bad
idea......

Notice that the first thing I said was "use lens caps".

And a lens hood..

--

Stacey
Old August 16th 06, 02:24 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
chasfs

David J. Littleboy wrote:
"chasfs" wrote:
I'm looking to buy a set of UV filters for my Pentax 6x7 lenses and am
considering the B+W MRC filters. A local camera store told me that
they cost more and are much harder to clean than the non-MRC B+W
filters. Does anyone have real world experience of this? Any other
filter recommendations?

Use lens caps and be careful.

My experience is that "protective" filters are essentially always dirty,
since one is less careful of them than one is of one's lenses.

So your images will be sharper if you don't use them.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

I'm not buying these as lens protectors. My latest slides from bright
sunny days seem to be somewhat hazy, so I really want a UV filter, for
high UV situations.

That said, does anyone have experience cleaning the B+W MRC filters?

Peace,
-chasfs
http://chasfs.com

Old August 16th 06, 02:43 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
David J. Littleboy

"chasfs" wrote:

I'm not buying these as lens protectors. My latest slides from bright
sunny days seem to be somewhat hazy, so I really want a UV filter, for
high UV situations.

Oops. Sorry for the noise.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old August 16th 06, 04:47 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
no_name

chasfs wrote:

I'm looking to buy a set of UV filters for my Pentax 6x7 lenses and am
considering the B+W MRC filters. A local camera store told me that
they cost more and are much harder to clean than the non-MRC B+W
filters. Does anyone have real world experience of this? Any other
filter recommendations?
Thanks!
-chasfs
http://chasfs.com

MRC is supposed to be harder than the glass the filter is made from so
that it resists scratching when cleaning. Along with water and dirt
repellancy the coating is supposed to provide, that's supposed to make
the filter easier to clean than regular filters.

Just be as careful cleaning the filter as you would be in cleaning a
lens and you should be ok.

I bang around a whole lot trying to get to where I can take the picture
I want. I've lost a lot of lens caps in the process. Never lost a filter
off the lens.

I have broken a filter or two, and I have broken a lens, although in
that case the filter didn't fail.
Old August 16th 06, 09:15 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Tony Polson

"chasfs" wrote:

I'm looking to buy a set of UV filters for my Pentax 6x7 lenses and am
considering the B+W MRC filters. A local camera store told me that
they cost more and are much harder to clean than the non-MRC B+W
filters. Does anyone have real world experience of this? Any other
filter recommendations?

I use B+W MRC filters on most of my lenses and find them very easy to
clean. They cost more because MRC is a superior multi-coating.

Ironically, the advice you were given applies perfectly to **Hoya**
HMC filters, which are almost impossible to clean without leaving
streaks. The latest Hoya HMC Pro1 filters are just as bad.

Old August 16th 06, 09:48 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Andreas Gugau

chasfs schrieb:
David J. Littleboy wrote:

"chasfs" wrote:

I'm looking to buy a set of UV filters for my Pentax 6x7 lenses and am
considering the B+W MRC filters. A local camera store told me that
they cost more and are much harder to clean than the non-MRC B+W
filters. Does anyone have real world experience of this? Any other
filter recommendations?

Use lens caps and be careful.

I'm not buying these as lens protectors. My latest slides from bright
sunny days seem to be somewhat hazy, so I really want a UV filter, for
high UV situations.

You should think about some polarizing filters.

Andreas

--
* Alles über Scotch Whisky unter http://www.whisky-guide.com/

* Foto-Galerie unter http://www.gugau-foto.de/