Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DL Macro Super II with teleconverter

Old January 31st 05, 02:44 PM
Siddhartha Jain

Default Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DL Macro Super II with teleconverter

I am getting a Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DL Macro Super II. Wondering if
anyone's using a teleconverter on it with satisfactory results?

Now, I know that this is not as good as the APO but from what I read it
seems to do a decent job for the price. But not sure it will yield good
results with a teleconverter.

If you are satisfied with this lens + a telecon then please let me know
what teleconverter are you using alongwith a few sample shots.
Thanks,

Siddhartha

Old January 31st 05, 07:52 PM
Toomanyputters

"Siddhartha Jain" wrote in message
ups.com...
I am getting a Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DL Macro Super II. Wondering if
anyone's using a teleconverter on it with satisfactory results?

Now, I know that this is not as good as the APO but from what I read it
seems to do a decent job for the price. But not sure it will yield good
results with a teleconverter.

If you are satisfied with this lens + a telecon then please let me know
what teleconverter are you using alongwith a few sample shots.
Thanks,

Siddhartha

I have the cheaper Sigma 70-300 4-5.6 and my only comments are after talking
to the Ritz store manager: Don't use a 2x, as already discussed in earlier
threads this past weekend. Autofocus does not work beyond the the 200mm
range. Manual focus will not produce sharp results, and will be very
"grainy". I returned it am now looking for a Canon 1.4x with a money back
satisfaction guarantee.

Old January 31st 05, 08:02 PM
Siddhartha Jain

Toomanyputters wrote:
I have the cheaper Sigma 70-300 4-5.6 and my only comments are after

talking
to the Ritz store manager: Don't use a 2x, as already discussed in

earlier
threads this past weekend. Autofocus does not work beyond the the

200mm
range. Manual focus will not produce sharp results, and will be very

"grainy". I returned it am now looking for a Canon 1.4x with a money

back
satisfaction guarantee.

And how is the lens without a teleconverter?

- Siddhartha

Old January 31st 05, 11:11 PM
Toomanyputters

Toomanyputters wrote:
I have the cheaper Sigma 70-300 4-5.6 and my only comments are after

talking
to the Ritz store manager: Don't use a 2x, as already discussed in

earlier
threads this past weekend. Autofocus does not work beyond the the

200mm
range. Manual focus will not produce sharp results, and will be very

"grainy". I returned it am now looking for a Canon 1.4x with a money

back
satisfaction guarantee.

And how is the lens without a teleconverter?

- Siddhartha

I think it is very good. I shoot a lot of birds in motion and I find
nothing wrong with it.

Old February 1st 05, 07:05 AM
Siddhartha Jain

Toomanyputters wrote:
I think it is very good. I shoot a lot of birds in motion and I find

nothing wrong with it.

Got any images online? Thanks for the feedback.

- Siddhartha

Old February 2nd 05, 08:19 AM

In message ,
"Toomanyputters" wrote:

I have the cheaper Sigma 70-300 4-5.6 and my only comments are after talking
to the Ritz store manager: Don't use a 2x, as already discussed in earlier
threads this past weekend. Autofocus does not work beyond the the 200mm
range. Manual focus will not produce sharp results, and will be very
"grainy". I returned it am now looking for a Canon 1.4x with a money back
satisfaction guarantee.

Teleconverters can't make images "grainy". Maybe what you mean is that
grain (film) or noise (digital) is the only high-frequency component in
the image when the optics are too soft. They are *always* there, sharp
focus or not.
--

John P Sheehy

Old February 2nd 05, 01:24 PM
Toomanyputters

wrote in message
In message ,
"Toomanyputters" wrote:

I have the cheaper Sigma 70-300 4-5.6 and my only comments are after
talking
to the Ritz store manager: Don't use a 2x, as already discussed in
earlier
threads this past weekend. Autofocus does not work beyond the the 200mm
range. Manual focus will not produce sharp results, and will be very
"grainy". I returned it am now looking for a Canon 1.4x with a money back
satisfaction guarantee.

Teleconverters can't make images "grainy". Maybe what you mean is that
grain (film) or noise (digital) is the only high-frequency component in
the image when the optics are too soft. They are *always* there, sharp
focus or not.
--

Yea, that's what I meant. But I stand by what I said about AF not working
correctly beyond 200mm on the Sigma. Maybe I should not have commented at