Looks good in PhotoShop, but...

Old January 30th 05, 07:43 PM
Sheldon

Default Looks good in PhotoShop, but...

I imported a photo from my D70 (JPG) into Photoshop and played with it a bit
until it looked pretty damn good. I then saved it in My Pictures folder in
XP and looked at it there where it looked like crap. Actually, the original
photo looks better in My Pictures, but not as good in PhotoShop.

What's the story here?

Sheldon

Old January 30th 05, 09:46 PM
Roland Karlsson

"Sheldon" wrote in
:

I imported a photo from my D70 (JPG) into Photoshop and played with it
a bit until it looked pretty damn good. I then saved it in My
Pictures folder in XP and looked at it there where it looked like
crap. Actually, the original photo looks better in My Pictures, but
not as good in PhotoShop.

What's the story here?

Color management. Your D70 pictures does not have the
same color space as photoshop thinks your monitor has.
Maybe photshop thinks your monitor is sRGB and that the
D70 outputs Adobe RGB. Or ... it might be some other
combination.

/Roland
Old January 30th 05, 10:30 PM
Sheldon

"Roland Karlsson" wrote in message
"Sheldon" wrote in
:

I imported a photo from my D70 (JPG) into Photoshop and played with it
a bit until it looked pretty damn good. I then saved it in My
Pictures folder in XP and looked at it there where it looked like
crap. Actually, the original photo looks better in My Pictures, but
not as good in PhotoShop.

What's the story here?

Color management. Your D70 pictures does not have the
same color space as photoshop thinks your monitor has.
Maybe photshop thinks your monitor is sRGB and that the
D70 outputs Adobe RGB. Or ... it might be some other
combination.

/Roland

Well, I was told to set the color on the camera to Adobe, so that might be
it. However, all looked okay until I went to Adobe, made it look "better",
and then went back to JPG. On my p and s camera the images look the same in
Adobe as they do when I bring them up in any program.

Sheldon

Old January 30th 05, 11:27 PM
Frank ess

Sheldon wrote:
[...]

The anti-Midas touch?

Old January 30th 05, 11:57 PM
Sheldon

"Frank ess" wrote in message
Sheldon wrote:
[...]

It's the anti-something. I took the camera out of Adobe mode and back to
default. We'll see what happens. I guess I'm still climbing "up" the
learning curve. :-)

Old January 31st 05, 05:12 PM
Mac Tabak

"Sheldon" wrote in message
I imported a photo from my D70 (JPG) into Photoshop and played with it a
bit until it looked pretty damn good. I then saved it in My Pictures
folder in XP and looked at it there where it looked like crap. Actually,
the original photo looks better in My Pictures, but not as good in
PhotoShop.

What's the story here?

Sheldon

After saving the photo out of Ps in a different name, use internet explorer
to see how it looks.

Old January 31st 05, 11:53 PM
Sheldon

I took the camera out of Photoshop mode, and now the images look the same in
the computer (My Pictures) as they do in Photoshop. Still working with
jpegs at this time, and trying to figure how to use the unsharp mask.

Old February 1st 05, 03:44 AM
Steve Wolfe

I took the camera out of Photoshop mode, and now the images look the same
in
the computer (My Pictures) as they do in Photoshop. Still working with
jpegs at this time, and trying to figure how to use the unsharp mask.

If your camera was shooting in Adobe RGB color space, then image programs
that aren't capable of using said color space will not display them
correctly. You can, however, convert them to sRGB in Photoshop, which is
what virtually all PC programs use as a default, so they should look better.

Adobe RGB has a larger color gamut, so if you're willing to go through the
conversion process, you're better off shooting in it than sRGB. RAW is, of
course, better still, but there are tradeoffs in speed, size, and processing
with that as well.

steve

Old February 1st 05, 03:59 AM
Sheldon

"Steve Wolfe" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for the explanation. At least now I understand what happened. I've
been playing a bit with Photoshop today (well, Photoshop LE), and found it's
easy to overdo it with the unsharpening mask. I made a flower look
terrible, but by not overdoing it, I managed to really sharpen up a
portrait, and you can really see it when printed. Not sure she'll be happy
about it (BG), but now I'm getting the photos I expected from the camera.
And I haven't even started with RAW yet.

Still have a lot of learning to do, but I'll get there.

Thanks again.