Flash for D70

Old January 5th 05, 04:21 PM
Lenseman

"C J Campbell" wrote in message

"Kitt" wrote in message
oups.com...
Anybody have an opinion about the Sigma EF 500 ST DG flash that has
used it or seen it in use?

Does it give you TTL metering with the Nikon digitals? Even Nikon has only
two flash units that do that -- the SB-600 and SB-800. The Sigma might

claim
to have TTL metering, but it might work only on older Nikon cameras.

Taken from Sigma's web page:

New "EF500 DG Super NA i-TTL" model is compatible with Nikon D Series
cameras and D70 camera. "EF500 DG Super NA" is not compatible with Nikon D70
camera.

I think that answers the question. The EF500 DG range was updated in about
August last year for specific use with digital cameras.

Old January 5th 05, 05:01 PM
C J Campbell

"Kitt" wrote in message
oups.com...
Anybody have an opinion about the Sigma EF 500 ST DG flash that has
used it or seen it in use?

Does it give you TTL metering with the Nikon digitals? Even Nikon has

only
two flash units that do that -- the SB-600 and SB-800. The Sigma might

claim
to have TTL metering, but it might work only on older Nikon cameras.

Taken from Sigma's web page:

New "EF500 DG Super NA i-TTL" model is compatible with Nikon D Series
cameras and D70 camera. "EF500 DG Super NA" is not compatible with Nikon

D70
camera.

I think that answers the question. The EF500 DG range was updated in about
August last year for specific use with digital cameras.

Well, that's pretty nifty. I see they also have an i-TTL ring flash, which
Nikon does not even have. Now, is their wireless communication compatible
with Nikon's?

Old January 5th 05, 07:11 PM
Jeremy Nixon

C J Campbell wrote:

Well, that's pretty nifty. I see they also have an i-TTL ring flash, which
Nikon does not even have.

I was seriously thinking about buying that, but then I noticed that the
feature chart says it doesn't support flash exposure compensation, which
would seem to render the whole thing pointless. I wasn't able to figure
out if that actually does mean you can't change the output level at all
in iTTL mode, but it puts me off trying it.

Now, is their wireless communication compatible with Nikon's?

That's a good question, too.

--
Jeremy |
Old January 5th 05, 08:28 PM
Rita Ä Berkowitz

"Jeremy Nixon" wrote in message

I was seriously thinking about buying that, but then I noticed that the
feature chart says it doesn't support flash exposure compensation, which
would seem to render the whole thing pointless. I wasn't able to figure
out if that actually does mean you can't change the output level at all
in iTTL mode, but it puts me off trying it.

Get an SB800 or two and build/buy a flash bracket to accommodate them since
you will probably get more use out of the SB800s than you would a ring
light. I do a lot of macro and I was mulling this around as well and feel I
will get better versatility with a flash bracket and flash instead of a ring
light. Plus, you get to play with different lighting techniques.

Rita

Old January 5th 05, 08:55 PM
Jeremy Nixon

Rita Ä Berkowitz ~ ~ wrote:

Get an SB800 or two and build/buy a flash bracket to accommodate them since
you will probably get more use out of the SB800s than you would a ring
light. I do a lot of macro and I was mulling this around as well and feel I
will get better versatility with a flash bracket and flash instead of a ring
light. Plus, you get to play with different lighting techniques.

I've got a regular flash already. I'm the weird fashion guy who would be
using a ring flash for non-macro stuff.

But for $350, if it doesn't do everything, I might as well just spend a bit
more and get a *real* one. If I have to use manual flash exposure anyway,
I mean, since there's no compensation, then I might as well not live with
the low guide number.

(The power on that would be enough for me though, at least the 90% of the
time I'd be using it with the aperture wide open.)

--
Jeremy |
Old January 5th 05, 10:28 PM
Rita Ä Berkowitz

"Jeremy Nixon" wrote in message

I've got a regular flash already. I'm the weird fashion guy who would be
using a ring flash for non-macro stuff.

If you have a specific task where a ring light will work best for you that
may be the best way to go. The SB-29 does TTL so I don't think it should be
a problem for the D70. I was considering this flash myself, but after
weighing the pros and cons I went with a homemade flash bracket for my
SB-800.

http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php...productNr=4719

I decided to build a homemade bracket that worked out so well that I lost
interest in the SB-29. Here is a pic of my homemade spring loaded flash
bracket.

http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2003/eBay/Bracket.jpg

I have a secondary cheapy slave fill flash on the left and the SB-800 on the
right. The SB-800 flash is controlled with the SC-29 cable. This works
great when I'm hiking and want to do macro, but is versatile enough that I
can just flip the flash in the upright position for normal shooting.

Rita

Old January 6th 05, 01:33 AM
Crownfield

Jeremy Nixon wrote:

Rita Ä Berkowitz ~ ~ wrote:

Get an SB800 or two and build/buy a flash bracket to accommodate them since
you will probably get more use out of the SB800s than you would a ring
light. I do a lot of macro and I was mulling this around as well and feel I
will get better versatility with a flash bracket and flash instead of a ring
light. Plus, you get to play with different lighting techniques.

I've got a regular flash already. I'm the weird fashion guy who would be
using a ring flash for non-macro stuff.

try calumetphoto.com and search for ring light

up to 3,000 ws capable.

search for ring flash and get a guide of about 45.

both look like fun.

Old January 6th 05, 05:26 AM
Jeremy Nixon

Rita Ä Berkowitz wrote:

If you have a specific task where a ring light will work best for you that
may be the best way to go. The SB-29 does TTL so I don't think it should be
a problem for the D70.

It does TTL, not iTTL; TTL doesn't work with digital. Also, it's not a
proper ring, but two lights, one on each side, tapering off on top.

The main reason I found the Sigma one interesting was because of the iTTL
support; if I'm going to always have to set the flash power manually anyway,
then the field opens up a bit (including the ungodly expensive "real" ones),
but I'd rather have iTTL (and only spend consumer-level prices) unless I
were to become a professional again.

--
Jeremy |
Old January 6th 05, 09:06 AM
Kitt

This is what screwed me up on my original post. I was seeing the TTL
model of the Sigma flash for $150, not the iTTL version. From what I
can tell, it's still under $200, but harder to find. I also spotted a
$25 rebate on the Nikon version, so now it gets harder to justify
buying the Sigma when the price difference is down to $75 or so after
rebate. Decisions, decisions.

Old January 6th 05, 10:44 AM

Rita Ä Berkowitz wrote:
"Jeremy Nixon" wrote in message

I've got a regular flash already. I'm the weird fashion guy who would be
using a ring flash for non-macro stuff.

If you have a specific task where a ring light will work best for you that
may be the best way to go. The SB-29 does TTL so I don't think it should be
a problem for the D70.

It only does TTL with film cameras. The continuing lack of a digital
ring flash from Nikon is annoying and rather odd -- I asked about it
at Photokina, without any satisfactory response.

Andrew.