Nikon View vs Picture Project vs Nikon Capture

Old January 31st 05, 09:09 PM
John Francis

Jeremy Nixon wrote:
John Francis wrote:

Yes, it uses the same converter as the full Photoshop.

No it doesn't.

Bah, sorry. I'd have sworn I read that it did.

Well, as I said, it sort of does. The latest Adobe Camera Raw
update (version 2.4) is for both Photoshop CS and Elements 3.0
But if you use it through Elements you don't get access to all
the controls you get in Photoshop CS; effectively you only get
to use a lot of the settings at their default values.
That's generally the idea behind Elements. It uses many of the
same algorithms, etc., as Photoshop CS, but with a simplified
interface (sacrificing some control in favour of ease-of-use).

It's still a good replacement for most of the proprietary RAW
file converters - I bought Elements just so I could get access
to Adobe Camera Raw (I have a Pentax *ist-D, and the supplied
RAW converter leaves a lot to be desired). But I've also seen
how much additional control there is at RAW conversion time in
full Photoshop CS (upsizing and applying your own tone curves,
amongst other things).

Old February 1st 05, 04:16 AM
Sheldon

"John Francis" wrote in message
Didn't Elements replace Photoshop LE in the product lineup?

Yes it did, but I found that Photoshop LE looks and feels exactly like
Photoshop. Just missing some high-end features. If you can use one you can
use the other.

Old February 1st 05, 07:35 AM
John Francis

My point is that there isn't a "Photoshop LE" that corresponds
to Photoshop CS (execept inasmuch as Elements 3.0 fills that role).
And in some places (including the interface to the Raw converter)
Photoshop CS presents a very different interface to the one found
in those earlier versions.

The Camera Raw plugin for Photoshop CS/Elements 3.0 doesn't work
in those earlier versions of Photoshop, either. You can use most
plugins built for Photoshop 7 in Photoshop CS, but not vice versa.