Protect your pictures!

Old January 5th 06, 01:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Protect your pictures!

Frequently,someone is to become involved in this problem.His(or her)
images and photos on his(or her) store(or website) are accessible to
everyone. Maybe the property is being used by others in their
store,homepages, forum or newsgroups. I just want to tell you how to
make copyright to the pictures that no one can steal your works that
you made.

There are several ways:
1)you can add watermark Over a Photo in Photoshop,you can read the help
article
fromhttp://graphicssoft.about.com/cs/photoshop/ht/apswatermark.htm

2)you can include text or emblem at different places in your images
with some specialized programs as Bacth watermark creator.Download from
http://www.easy-tools.net/download.html.

Old January 5th 06, 04:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

On 5 Jan 2006 04:27:42 -0800, "Jemme Lon" wrote:

Frequently,someone is to become involved in this problem.His(or her)
images and photos on his(or her) store(or website) are accessible to
everyone. Maybe the property is being used by others in their
store,homepages, forum or newsgroups. I just want to tell you how to
make copyright to the pictures that no one can steal your works that
you made.

Copyrighting does not prevent theft of the pictures. It just gives
you a basis for legal action against the person that steals them if
you know they are stolen and know who's using them. Even then, the
cost of pursuing the matter usually exceeds your loss.

If I steal your copyrighted image and use it, what are you going to do
about it? Is it worth legal fees to stop me? If some large company
steals your image, it may be worth the legal fees, but I'm just an
individual.

You can watermark your image, but I have Photoshop and I can usually
clone out your watermark.

Unless you're a professional photographer with a great image to
protect, you'll just get ulcers worrying about image theft.

The really neat situation is where someone links to your image. You
can change the source of the link to an image that
they...ummm....wouldn't want to put up.

--

Tony Cooper
Orlando, FL
Old January 5th 06, 05:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Tony Cooper" wrote in message
news
[...]

If anybody copied a picture I posted I would feel flattered.
Dave Cohen

Old January 6th 06, 06:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Tony Cooper wrote:

The really neat situation is where someone links to your image.
You can change the source of the link to an image that
they...ummm....wouldn't want to put up.

Yeah, I'm thinking about doing something like that right now. One of my
images (a Puerto Rican flag sculpture in Chicago) is hot-linked a LOT
by various people, usually just kids using it as a backdrop to their
own personal (non-commercial) web sites.

This used to annoy me, but I've pretty much gotten over it.

However, a commercial outfit is hot-linking another image from my site,
and using it as a product photo for something they sell (a particular
species of fish). That one irritates me. A lot.

I'm considering sending them a bill for unauthorized use of copyrighted
image, as well as for the bandwidth. Obviously, I don't have any real
expectation of getting paid, but it would at least express my
annoyance. Alternately, I could just change the source image to
something less, um, saleable.

I wouldn't even need to pornographic... A few years ago I dropped a
heavy battery on my foot and had my big toenail ripped out at the root,
as well as a deep gouge across the nail bed. Once I regained
consciousness (hey, it HURT!), I took a couple of photos of the very
colorful area of impact. Ya reckon a big bloody toe picture would help
sell fish?
Old January 6th 06, 06:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 23:33:03 -0600, "Eric Schreiber" eric at
ericschreiber dot com wrote:

I took a couple of photos of the very colorful area of impact.
Ya reckon a big bloody toe picture would help sell fish?

SHARK!! SHARK!!!!

Old January 6th 06, 07:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Eric Schreiber" eric at ericschreiber dot com writes:
However, a commercial outfit is hot-linking another image from my site,
and using it as a product photo for something they sell (a particular
species of fish). That one irritates me. A lot.

First thing to try is sending them an email asking them to cut it out.

I'm considering sending them a bill for unauthorized use of
copyrighted image, as well as for the bandwidth.

That would be bogus and probably accomplish nothing.

Obviously, I don't have any real expectation of getting paid, but it
would at least express my annoyance. Alternately, I could just
change the source image to something less, um, saleable.

That's a much better plan. You could set the server to check the
referer header to ONLY serve the unsaleable image to transclusions
from that commercial site.

I wouldn't even need to pornographic... A few years ago I dropped a
heavy battery on my foot and had my big toenail ripped out at the root,

Heh heh, I like that.
Old January 6th 06, 01:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Eric Schreiber" eric at ericschreiber dot com wrote
Ya reckon a big bloody toe picture would help
sell fish?

Sweet idea - especially if you add a bit of text explaining the situation
for the browsing punter...

RobG
Old January 6th 06, 03:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Eric Schreiber wrote:
Tony Cooper wrote:

The really neat situation is where someone links to your image.
You can change the source of the link to an image that
they...ummm....wouldn't want to put up.

Yeah, I'm thinking about doing something like that right now. One of my
images (a Puerto Rican flag sculpture in Chicago) is hot-linked a LOT
by various people, usually just kids using it as a backdrop to their
own personal (non-commercial) web sites.

This used to annoy me, but I've pretty much gotten over it.

However, a commercial outfit is hot-linking another image from my site,
and using it as a product photo for something they sell (a particular
species of fish). That one irritates me. A lot.

This is what lawyers are for. If you really want to have any chance of
collecting, have a consultation and run the plan past them first to see
if it has any flaws.

For example, here's one approach:

First, make sure that your website has a notice regarding unauthorized
copyright use.

Similarly, make sure that your hotlinked photo does clearly have your
(C) displayed on it (in addition to a hidden watermark). Make sure
that this version of the image is in place long enough to get into
Google, and the old version has been purged out of their archives.

Grabbing a copy of their source code is a good idea too.

This is all prep work before you give them any notification of the
unauthorized use.

I'm considering sending them a bill for unauthorized use of copyrighted
image, as well as for the bandwidth.

IMO, I suspect that its probably more successful to send them a very
bland invoice, with the terms of use specified, dates, etc. The
general approach is to let them assume that someone within their
organization had initiated this (which they did, by creating the hot
link) and you're just following-up (which you are).

Alternately, I could just change the source image to
something less, um, saleable.

After they ignore your invoice for, say, 30 days, replace your original
with a "ghosted out" copy of it with text over it, such as this:

http://www.huntzinger.com/photo/2002/germany/euros.jpg

In your case, the message should be something along the lines of:

"Image removed because account is more than 30 days overdue"

Make sure to include your email address in this text-over for them to
contact you at. Be polite and offer to fax them a new invoice...with
an overdue acount fee, of course.

-hh

Old January 7th 06, 05:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Well, that is all find until it starts costing your money for the extra
bandwidth that the kids steal by linking to your images. That is when you
replace the image with a nice nude of George W Bush. If that doesn't cause
enough trama then find one of Margaret Thatcher. That will definately do it.

Old January 7th 06, 06:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Paul Rubin wrote:

I'm considering sending them a bill for unauthorized use of
copyrighted image, as well as for the bandwidth.

That would be bogus and probably accomplish nothing.

Well, I don't know about bogus. The main intent would be to vent my
spleen just a tiny bit. I'm certain that my chance of being paid for
such an invoice is about nil. And I'm equally sure that unless it's a
very small business indeed, the person receiving the invoice wouldn't
even know who was in charge of the web site.

A few years ago I dropped a heavy battery on my
foot and had my big toenail ripped out at the root,

Heh heh, I like that.

That I had my toenail ripped out, or using the image?