Series VII(7) slip-on adapter size?

Old August 1st 04, 11:00 PM
Richard Knoppow

Default Series VII(7) slip-on adapter size?

"jjs" wrote in message
"davidl" wrote in message

Thanks for quick response, jjs.

this is kind of information I exactly needed - now I

know what to look
for.
[...]
I have plenty of Series VIII(8) accessories including

the Kodak hood; I
saw
step-up adapters Series VII-VIII which I'll try to get

then as well so I
don't have to buy all the stuff all over again.

My pleasure.Sometimes Usenet really does work. By the

way, the following
current eBay item is _not_ what I have. Mine doesn't have

the 'tabs'. It is
a solid unit. I cannot vouch for the integrity of those

'tab' designs.
http://makeashorterlink.com/?A160222F8

The tabbed ring like the one pictured by the link, is
the standard form for push-on adaptors. The solid ones are
probably thread adaptors. Push-on adaptors came in a wide
variety of sizes. The Series VII from 1-11/16" (42.5mm) to
2" (50.5mm) total 6 sizes. The Series VIII from 2-1/16"
(52.0mm) to 2-5/8" (67.0mm) total 9 sizes. The sizes within
each group are not evenly spaced. An adaptor which is
_slightly_ too large may be adjusted by bending the tabs to
fit.
For larger lenses Kodak sold a clamp-on wooden holder
for 4x4" glass filters or gelatin filters in holders. Tiffen
and others sold similar push-on adaptors which have
compatible threads with the Kodak ones. The adaptors came
with a retaining ring but if you use it with a screw-in lens
shade the shade acts as the retainer.
There are some modern "compendium" adaptors that will fit
these lenses but they are expensive.

--
---
Richard Knoppow

Old August 2nd 04, 02:37 AM
davidl

"Richard Knoppow" wrote in message

"jjs" wrote in message
"davidl" wrote in message

[...]

Richard,

Thanks for very detailed explanation on the various sizes of Series push-on
adapters, it's been a bit mystery for me seeing these various Series VII
tabbed adapters with strange diameter sizes, such as the 1 3/4" as the
adapter in that link above. I searched the web and didn't find any complete
information; now it will be a matter of time to find what I need...

Is there any complete information on all the Series sizes available
somewhere on the web? I'm planning to purchase Ilex#5 mounted lens (with
non-threaded front barrel again) soon, which I'll need to setup with filter
holder/hood as well - but for that one I may decide to go with compendium
hood instead, because I'll use it on heavier 8x10 monorail camera,
unsuitable for the most terrain work anyway.

Regards
Dave

Old August 2nd 04, 03:26 AM
jjs

"Richard Knoppow" wrote in message

The tabbed ring like the one pictured by the link, is
he standard form for push-on adaptors. The solid ones are

probably thread adaptors. [...]

At least one of the Kodak "thread adapters" without tabs that you mention is
also a "push on" as evinced by the perfect fit and the otherwise unnecessary
depth of the countersunk 2" fit. It's not an accidental design.

Old August 3rd 04, 01:21 AM
Richard Knoppow

"davidl" wrote in message
"Richard Knoppow" wrote in

message

"jjs" wrote in message
"davidl" wrote in message

[...]

I think for larger lenses the compendium is the best way
to go.
The available sizes of Kodak adaptors varied over the
years. In 1948 there were no Series IV or Series IX filters
or adaptors, they are in the 1958 edition of the lens
booklet. For the most part filters for larger lenses were
used in the Kodak adjustable clamp on adaptor or in
combination sunshade-filter holders made by others. I have
several of these made by a couple of local companies
probably in the 1940's to 1950's. Mine are in sizes for 3"
and 4" square glass filters. The advantage of modern
compendium shades over these things is that they are
adjustable for the focal length and angle of view of the
lens and most can be shifted so that they won't vignette
when camera movements are used.
Optically the best filters are gelatin. But they are also
delicate so glass sandwich filters are preferred for
practical use.

--
---
Richard Knoppow

Old August 3rd 04, 01:21 AM
Richard Knoppow

"davidl" wrote in message
"Richard Knoppow" wrote in

message

Old August 3rd 04, 01:22 AM
Richard Knoppow

"jjs" wrote in message
"Richard Knoppow" wrote in

message

The tabbed ring like the one pictured by the link, is
he standard form for push-on adaptors. The solid ones

are
probably thread adaptors. [...]

At least one of the Kodak "thread adapters" without tabs

that you mention is
also a "push on" as evinced by the perfect fit and the

otherwise unnecessary
depth of the countersunk 2" fit. It's not an accidental

design.

I've never seen one like this. All the push-on adaptors
I've seen have spring fingers. Do you know any more about
this adaptor?

--
---
Richard Knoppow

Old August 3rd 04, 01:22 AM
Richard Knoppow

"jjs" wrote in message
"Richard Knoppow" wrote in

message

Old August 3rd 04, 02:10 AM
jjs

"jjs" wrote in message

I've never seen one like this. All the push-on adaptors
I've seen have spring fingers. Do you know any more about
this adaptor?

If you can stand a close-up shot using my wife's cheap digital camera, I'll
put up a picture to look at.