FYI Rawshooter Essentials 2006 available

Old February 26th 06, 11:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Default FYI Rawshooter Essentials 2006 available

Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!) wrote:
FYI, just got an e-mail newsletter from Pixmantec that they have
released RawShooter Essentials 2006 which now supports:

For those who may wonder...those are just the cameras ADDED.
-Not an exaustive list of supported cameras...

Old February 27th 06, 12:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!) wrote:
On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 15:16:59 -0800, in rec.photo.digital "MarkČ"
mjmorgan(lowest even number wrote:

Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!) wrote:
FYI, just got an e-mail newsletter from Pixmantec that they have
released RawShooter Essentials 2006 which now supports:

For those who may wonder...those are just the cameras ADDED.
-Not an exaustive list of supported cameras...

This was copied from the pdf of supported cameras. Since my D70 has
been supported since the inimical release of 2005, it is not a list of
additionally added cameras. If you know better why not post it?

OK.
I've used the free RSE with my 10D raw files for some time.
I've since upgraded to the Premium version, but the Essentials version
always worked with my 10D, despite NOT being on your list of supported
cameras. I'm also fairly certain that Bret Douglas has used it with his
20D...also not on your list.

The following is the list contained in the Premium version, but again...the
free "Essentials" version has always supported Canon DSLRs not on your list.

Here's the Premium list:

COMPATIBLE WITH RAW IMAGE FILE FORMATS FROM:
- Canon EOS-1DMark II N, Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II, Canon EOS-1D Mark II, Canon
EOS-1Ds, Canon EOS-1D, Canon EOS 20D,
Canon EOS Rebel XT, Canon EOS 350D, Canon EOS Kiss Digital N, Canon EOS
DIGITAL REBEL, Canon EOS 300D DIGITAL,
Canon EOS KISS DIGITAL, Canon EOS 10D, Canon EOS D60, Canon EOS D30, Canon
PowerShot G2, Canon PowerShot G3,
Canon PowerShot G5, Canon PowerShot G6, Canon PowerShot S30, Canon PowerShot
S40, Canon PowerShot S45,
Canon PowerShot S50, Canon PowerShot S60, Canon PowerShot S70, Canon
PowerShot Pro1, Canon EOS 5D, Canon EOS-1D,
Canon EOS 20D
- NIKON D50, NIKON D70, NIKON D70S, NIKON D100, NIKON D2H, NIKON D1H, NIKON
E8400, NIKON E8700,
NIKON E8800, Nikon D2X, Nikon D2Hs
- Olympus E-1, Olympus E-10, Olympus E-20, Olympus E-300, Olympus C5050Z,
Olympus C7070WZ, Olympus C8080WZ,
Olympus C5060WZ
- Minolta DiMAGE 5, Minolta DiMAGE 7, Minolta DiMAGE 7i, Minolta DiMAGE 7Hi,
Minolta DiMAGE A1, Minolta DiMAGE A2,
Minolta MAXXUM 7D, Minolta ALPHA-7D, Minolta DYNAX 7D, Minolta DiMage A200,
Minolta MAXXUM/DYNAX D5
- PENTAX *ist D, PENTAX *ist DS, PENTAX *ist DL
- Leica DIGILUX 2, DMR
- Panasonic DMC-LC1, DMC-FZ30
- Epson R-D1

Old February 27th 06, 12:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!) wrote:
On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 16:12:56 -0800, in rec.photo.digital "MarkČ"
[...]

Ok, the site is down now, here's the full contents of the readme file
included in the dl:

That is a much more comprehensive list than the OP.

Old February 27th 06, 12:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

In article xtrMf.1715$Uc2.375@fed1read04, "MarkČ" mjmorgan(lowest
even number says...

I've since upgraded to the Premium version,

How does the Premium version compare with the CS2 RAW converter?
--

Alfred Molon
Old February 27th 06, 05:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Alfred Molon wrote:
In article xtrMf.1715$Uc2.375@fed1read04, "MarkČ" mjmorgan(lowest
even number says...

I've since upgraded to the Premium version,

How does the Premium version compare with the CS2 RAW converter?

Hi Alfred,

overall, the same result can be achieved in both programmes. I find it
easier and quicker to get the best result in RSP. What I mean by that is
this: I did an experiment; I opened a RAW file and processed it in RSP.
Saved the file as a tiff. Opened the same RAW file in ACR and processed
it and saved as a tiff. I then compared the 2 images. The image from RSP
was noticeably better in terms of colour and contrast. However, having
seen the results, I returned to PS and using ACR I opened the image in
its previous worked on state and adjusted it to get the same result as RSP.

My conclusion was that with nothing to compare to, and working the image
in each programme to what "seemed to be" the best result, RSP gave me
the better result. This is a consistent conclusion I have found on many
occasions. The fact that ACR could produce exactly the same result with
something to aim at, obviously the 2 converters are equally 'capable'.

I actually did this experiment using 3 RAW converters, the third one
being Canon's Digital Photo Professional. In previous similar
experiments DPP usually came first. In this instance it came in between
RSP and ACR. So I think the bottom line is, these programmes are equally
capable and you may take to one more than another in terms of ease of
use/speed of use. Excellent results can be achieved by all.

Just to give you an idea of what controls are included in RSP, here is a
list of them reading straight off the user interface:

CORRECT TAB:
Color Temperature
Tint
Appearance (color styles)
Exposure Compensation
Fill Light
Shadow Contrast
Highlight Contrast
Sharpness
Detail Extraction
Noise Suppression
Color Noise Suppression
Hot Pixel/Pattern Noise Suppression
Tone Curve (with eyedroppers) and Levels controls at base of tone curve
(there are also some tone curve presets)
Saturation
Hue
Vibrance
Color Balance
Plus: hold CTRL key down to highlight overexposed areas (red) and
underexposed areas (blue) on image

BATCH CONVERT TAB:
Camera Profile (color profile for your camera)
RGB Working Space
Format and bit depth
Quality
Metadata (on or off)
Size/Units/Resolution to output file in
Sharpening (tick if required)
Output Location (choose)
Automatically open converted file in: (choose program)

They are the main controls. Obviously there are lots of extra features
like rating files, slide show, batch converting/applying recipe to
selected files or all files, etc.

Best regards,
Brian.
Old February 27th 06, 07:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

"Alfred Molon" wrote in message
In article xtrMf.1715$Uc2.375@fed1read04, "MarkČ" mjmorgan(lowest
even number says...

I've since upgraded to the Premium version,

How does the Premium version compare with the CS2 RAW converter?
--

Alfred Molon

Premium version is not at all happy with 5D, CR2 files until you purchase
the colour engines. This makes the whole point of using Rawshooter premium a
covert money grabbing exercise by the developers. I wouldn't be so
concerned if it were not for this point. A more workable (and cheaper)
solution is the new ACDSee. It does pretty much everything Rawshooter does
and will read and process normal image files too.

The other thing is that Canon's own DPP is not at all bad with these files
and does batch processing too. One "feature" of 5Ds not available in
RawShooter is the several different types of scenes recorded in RAW files
and easily chosen at development time with DPP. I have found DPP to be the
only RAW developer accessing all the capabilities and offerings from 5D, RAW
files. RSP works pretty well on Olympus files but it's single biggest
shortcoming is in the way it cannot develop a RAW file and conceal the noise
and other really bad parts of an under exposed image and dark areas as well
as Photoshop CS can. I know not about CS2.