Opportunity came knocking!

Old October 26th 15, 01:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Opportunity came knocking!

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

as I just mentioned elsewhere Silver Efex is installed on one of my
machines...good features but cumbersome to use.

Cumbersome!!?
You are doing something very wrong if you find it cumbersome.

I get the feeling that two machines are involved. If the image is on
his current machine, and SE is on his old machine, it would be
cumbersome. Not in using the program, but in moving the file back and
forth.

nothing in his description suggests two machines, but if it did, two
machines is not cumbersome. with file sharing, either machine can
access the other one's files.
Old October 26th 15, 02:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-10-26 01:35:41 +0000, nospam said:

Savageduck wrote:

Anyway...back to B&W I booted up my old XP machine as I thought I did
have that Silver Efex program

It does have good adjustments but I see why I never used it.

There is no process for opening a file other than by association... and
I also saw no "save as" option.

What do you mean "by association"?

file associations, e.g., jpeg is opened by photoshop.

I wasnt asking you. I was asking Philo what he meant by association.

Don't always assume that you should butt in and expose us to your
wealth of knowledge.
....or perhaps you knew exactly what Philo meant.

Savageduck

Old October 26th 15, 02:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-10-26 01:36:17 +0000, Tony Cooper said:

On Sun, 25 Oct 2015 18:15:13 -0700, Savageduck

On 2015-10-25 23:46:55 +0000, philo said:

On 10/25/2015 02:18 PM, PeterN wrote:
Xw.lensprotogo.com

Since you are familiar with the Nikon system I would have suggested a
D810 + a 24-70mm f/2.8G, and perhaps a 70-200mm f/2.8G VRII.
https://www.lensprotogo.com/rent/product/nikon-d810-dslr/
https://www.lensprotogo.com/rent/product/nikon-24-70-f2.8/
https://www.lensprotogo.com/rent/product/nikon-70-200-f2.8-vr-ii/

That is a pro set-up which would have given you all you needed to work
that event in any light, good or bad.

Here's a typical low light shot, where no flash was permitted.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/stormy%201.jpg

Proves you can get color in low light.

Anyway...back to B&W I booted up my old XP machine as I thought I did
have that Silver Efex program

It does have good adjustments but I see why I never used it.

There is no process for opening a file other than by association... and
I also saw no "save as" option.

What do you mean "by association"?

In Windows, image files can be associated with certain programs. If
you send a image via Dropbox, I can open that image using any one of
several programs that I have associated with images.

I don't understand why the file can not be opened by the program
itself in Peter's case, but I do understand the "association" bit.

I know what it means to associate a file to a particular application. I
was trying to clarify what Philo meant.

Good program if they would have thought about what they were doing.

Silver Efex Pro will function as a standalone, but as a stand alone app
it will only save the B&W converted image file.
So, duplicate the file and rename it. That is not the best way to use
it, but it can be done.It is best to use the NIK collection as plugins.

I think he has it in a machine that does not have LR or PS. It may
not be a version that will work on his present machine.

That is a distinct possibility.

Savageduck

Old October 26th 15, 02:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-10-26 01:38:19 +0000, Tony Cooper said:

On Sun, 25 Oct 2015 18:17:30 -0700, Savageduck

On 2015-10-25 23:51:18 +0000, philo said:

as I just mentioned elsewhere Silver Efex is installed on one of my
machines...good features but cumbersome to use.

Cumbersome!!?
You are doing something very wrong if you find it cumbersome.

I get the feeling that two machines are involved. If the image is on
his current machine, and SE is on his old machine, it would be
cumbersome. Not in using the program, but in moving the file back and
forth.

I guess that would be cumbersome, but he makes it sound as if it is
using SE itself he finds cumbersome.

Savageduck

Old October 26th 15, 02:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Savageduck wrote:

Anyway...back to B&W I booted up my old XP machine as I thought I did
have that Silver Efex program

It does have good adjustments but I see why I never used it.

There is no process for opening a file other than by association... and
I also saw no "save as" option.

What do you mean "by association"?

file associations, e.g., jpeg is opened by photoshop.

I wasnt asking you. I was asking Philo what he meant by association.

it's a public forum and anyone can answer.

Don't always assume that you should butt in and expose us to your
wealth of knowledge.
...or perhaps you knew exactly what Philo meant.

there is only one answer to the question.
Old October 26th 15, 02:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-10-26 02:23:08 +0000, nospam said:

Savageduck wrote:

Anyway...back to B&W I booted up my old XP machine as I thought I did
have that Silver Efex program

It does have good adjustments but I see why I never used it.

There is no process for opening a file other than by association... and
I also saw no "save as" option.

What do you mean "by association"?

file associations, e.g., jpeg is opened by photoshop.

I wasnt asking you. I was asking Philo what he meant by association.

it's a public forum and anyone can answer.

The context of the question was obvious that it was directed at Philo,
and you couldn't resist having your say even though you are unable to
get inside Philo's thought process to let us know what he meant. Just
by rationalizing your actions does not mean that they are acceptable
when you intrude regrdless of how public the forum might be.

Your wit and wisdom is not always appropriate.

Don't always assume that you should butt in and expose us to your
wealth of knowledge.
...or perhaps you knew exactly what Philo meant.

there is only one answer to the question.

Not necessarily some dictionaries don't make the "association" with
computing for a word which existed long before computers, apps and
operating systems:

association |əˌsōsēˈāSHən, -SHē-|
noun
1 (abbr.: assn.)(often in names) a group of people organized for a
joint purpose: the National Association of Broadcasters.
* Ecology a plant community defined by a characteristic group of
dominant plant species.
2 a connection or cooperative link between people or organizations: he
developed a close association with the university | the program was
promoted in association with the Department of Music.
* the action or state of becoming a member of an organization with
subordinate status: [ as modifier ] : Slovenia signed association
agreements with the European Union.
* Chemistry the linking of molecules through hydrogen bonding or other
interaction short of full bond formation.
3 (usu. associations) a mental connection between ideas or things: the
word bureaucracy has unpleasant associations.
* the action of making a mental connection: the association of alchemy
with “hieroglyphics” and “cabala.”
* the fact of occurring with something else; co-occurrence: cases of
cancer found in association with colitis.

Savageduck

Old October 26th 15, 02:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Savageduck wrote:

Don't always assume that you should butt in and expose us to your
wealth of knowledge.
...or perhaps you knew exactly what Philo meant.

there is only one answer to the question.

Not necessarily some dictionaries don't make the "association" with
computing for a word which existed long before computers, apps and
operating systems:

in the context of computers, particularly with windows, what file
associations means is well known.

even tony figured it out.
Old October 26th 15, 03:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

It would help if you actually read his post in which he said:

"Anyway...back to B&W I booted up my old XP machine as I thought I
did have that Silver Efex program."

That pretty clearly indicates two machines: the old and the new.
Otherwise, it would the "present" machine.

I know you will argue with anything, but do you really want to argue
that "nothing in his description suggests two machines"?

his statement "Silver Efex is installed on one of my machines...good
features but cumbersome to use" is clearly referring to a particular
app, not the number of machines in use at the time.

many apps are indeed cumbersome to use because they have poorly thought
out user interfaces. that's what i read from his statement.

you're assuming that it was a hassle to move images between two
machines, which hasn't been a hassle for a couple of decades. the
easiest way is enable file sharing (which is probably on anyway) and
then mount the other computer's drive. the photos could even be on a
networked file server or maybe he put them on a flash drive or portable
hard drive and plugged the drive into the other computer. there is no
indication what, if any of that, applies.
Old October 26th 15, 08:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
philo

On 10/25/2015 11:02 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:

snip
you're assuming that it was a hassle to move images between two
machines, which hasn't been a hassle for a couple of decades. the
easiest way is enable file sharing (which is probably on anyway) and
then mount the other computer's drive. the photos could even be on a
networked file server or maybe he put them on a flash drive or portable
hard drive and plugged the drive into the other computer. there is no
indication what, if any of that, applies.

Sure...he could do any of that, and he could consider doing any of
that to be "cumbersome". He, not you, gets to decide what he thinks
is "cumbersome".

This is one situation where I guess you are both right.

To save time and (I thought) confusion I did imply that I had two
separate computers. (Actually I have about 30, I'm a bit nuts)

However my main machine is dual booting Linux and XP

So when I said "other machine" I actually just meant that I booted over
to my seldom-used XP installation.

Although the it's easy enough for me to edit images in Silver
Efex...what I meant by "cumbersome" is this:

I poked all around and I did not anywhere see a context menu for
actually opening a file. The only way I could use the program was to
right click on the file and select "open with".

Then to save my edit...I saw no where a dialog "save as"

It simply over-writes the file.

I have never ever seen a photo editing program with such extremely poor
thought to the opening and the saving process.

Possibly my program is corrupt?

Please let me know your work flow.

Old October 26th 15, 09:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
philo

Default OK figured it out

I guess I did not realize that it was simply a plug in...I was
attempting to use it as a stand-alone app