Magazine recommendations

Old October 14th 15, 08:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
philo

Default Magazine recommendations

On 10/14/2015 08:53 AM, Pablo wrote:
I never feel inspired to go out and take photos.

I was thinking that flicking through a physical magazine might inspire me a
tad.

Looking at this:

https://www.myfavouritemagazines.co....widget#digital

http://tinyurl.com/p2zh6v6

What I don't want is a whole load of reviews of stuff I can't afford.

Opinions?

Nope

looking at a magazine won't solve your problem...

if you don't get inspired by walking out the door with your camera,
nothing else will do the trick

I suspect that all you need to do is START and quit thinking about it.
Old October 14th 15, 09:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Whiskers

On 2015-10-14, philo wrote:
On 10/14/2015 08:53 AM, Pablo wrote:
I never feel inspired to go out and take photos.

I was thinking that flicking through a physical magazine might
inspire me a tad.

Looking at this:

https://www.myfavouritemagazines.co....widget#digital

http://tinyurl.com/p2zh6v6

What I don't want is a whole load of reviews of stuff I can't afford.

Opinions?

Nope

looking at a magazine won't solve your problem...

if you don't get inspired by walking out the door with your camera,
nothing else will do the trick

I suspect that all you need to do is START and quit thinking about it.

I agree. Go out, with a camera. Take some photos. Repeat.
Inspiration won't come if you don't give it the opportunity.

It doesn't really matter what camera; whatever you've got will get you
started.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers
Old October 15th 15, 12:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
philo

On 10/14/2015 03:43 PM, Whiskers wrote:

snip
looking at a magazine won't solve your problem...

if you don't get inspired by walking out the door with your camera,
nothing else will do the trick

I suspect that all you need to do is START and quit thinking about it.

I agree. Go out, with a camera. Take some photos. Repeat.
Inspiration won't come if you don't give it the opportunity.

It doesn't really matter what camera; whatever you've got will get you
started.

Quite often my mind is just plain blank

but the very act of walking out the door...starts the process and ideas
pour in.

Hard part is just starting.
Old October 15th 15, 01:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
philo

On 10/15/2015 07:01 AM, Pablo wrote:

looking at a magazine won't solve your problem...

if you don't get inspired by walking out the door with your camera,
nothing else will do the trick

Something has to inspire me to walk out through the door with my camera. Got
so many other things to do, mostly involving work.

Take a break from work NOW

Pick up your camera and walk out the door NOW

When you get stuck think this:

Do it

Do it right

Do it right now
Old October 15th 15, 01:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article ,
Pablo wrote:

philo wrote:

On 10/14/2015 08:53 AM, Pablo wrote:
I never feel inspired to go out and take photos.

I was thinking that flicking through a physical magazine might inspire me
a tad.

Looking at this:

https://www.myfavouritemagazines.co....mera-magazine-
subscription/?utm_source=digitalcameraworld.com&utm_medium=hous elink&utm_ca
mpaign=digitalcameraworld&utm_content=side_widget# digital

http://tinyurl.com/p2zh6v6

What I don't want is a whole load of reviews of stuff I can't afford.

Opinions?

Nope

looking at a magazine won't solve your problem...

if you don't get inspired by walking out the door with your camera,
nothing else will do the trick

Something has to inspire me to walk out through the door with my camera. Got
so many other things to do, mostly involving work.

I visited your site and now I know what Spanish Spanish is called.

Thank you.

/android
--
teleportation kills
Old October 15th 15, 03:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-10-15 12:01:23 +0000, Pablo said:

Something has to inspire me to walk out through the door with my camera. Got
so many other things to do, mostly involving work.

No picture in a magazine, or anything other than a desire to do
something other than any of the “so many things to do” is going to
inspire you to walk out the door with your camera.

You should find the time to just grab the camera, go and capture the
dawn or twilight (Golden hour) scenes in the mountains, or down at the
coast.
Go into the town or village and shoot anything, life at work, candid
street shots, buildings, cars, animals, a street market, anything. Pick
different times of day.

Those magazines can give you some ideas of stuff to emulate, but not
truly inspire, that is something you have to do yourself.

Breakout of the ennui of you routine day and just do something for
yourself, if it is photography you are truly wanting to engage in to
break your routine. Take a walk, a drive, and take the camera with you.
If you see an opportunity to shoot a scene or subject take it.

Savageduck

Old October 15th 15, 04:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-10-15 15:46:22 +0000, Pablo said:

philo wrote:

Take a break from work NOW

Pick up your camera and walk out the door NOW

Heh. I was outside sorting firewood when I noticed a seven-eyed jumping
spider eating a fly. I rushed inside and got the camera, clicked the macro
lens into place, went outside and had forgotten what to do! I took 48 photos
and not one was any good.

That is some sort of start. There was a lesson learned, so the
experience was not without value.

Savageduck

Old October 15th 15, 06:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
philo

On 10/15/2015 10:46 AM, Pablo wrote:
philo wrote:

Take a break from work NOW

Pick up your camera and walk out the door NOW

Heh. I was outside sorting firewood when I noticed a seven-eyed jumping
spider eating a fly. I rushed inside and got the camera, clicked the macro
lens into place, went outside and had forgotten what to do! I took 48 photos
and not one was any good.

If the images are blurry, then you are right, there is probably not much
you can do...but if it's a matter of exposure or contrast, that can
easily be fixed.

Who knows though, sometimes even a blurry image can be good.

At any rate the good news is that you seem to have started using your
camera again so there is hope.

BTW: I sometimes take 500 photos just to get two or three good ones...so
don't at all be discouraged...

and now would be the time to take some practice shots on macro
Old October 15th 15, 06:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Thu, 15 Oct 2015 07:07:56 -0700, Savageduck
On 2015-10-15 12:01:23 +0000, Pablo said:

Something has to inspire me to walk out through the door with my camera. Got
so many other things to do, mostly involving work.

No picture in a magazine, or anything other than a desire to do
something other than any of the “so many things to do” is going to
inspire you to walk out the door with your camera.

I'm not so sure about that.

There are times when I can't seem to get interested in going out with
my camera because I've shot all the scenes in the places I know about,
and can't think of what might be new and interesting to shoot.

I see all sorts of things in magazines, from striking scenery, to
candid street shots, to new post processing techniques. All lead me to
trying to figure out how to do it for myself. However I suspect that
there is something else that Pablo/Paul is moving beyond, and that is
going to take an active effort on his part to overcome the inertia
and/or its cause. No magazine is going to do that for him, it is just
going to give him something else to do, look through and perhaps read
the magazine. Just something else to find time to do, when he could
grab his camera and go for a 30 minute, or an hour stroll and get some
shooting in.

But, a photograph in a camera magazine of (and I'm making this up as
an example) a fence paralleling a dirt road makes me think "I haven't
tried that" and off I go looking for a fence.

That happens to me all the time, but I see all sorts of inspiration of
that type from magazines, to photographer's web sites, and even
documentaries.

Mandates like the old Shoot-In did the same thing. If the mandate is
"church steeple", I'll go out looking for church steeples. I might
not have considered church steeples to be a subject matter before.

I miss the SI and the challenge of shooting out of one's comfort zone.
It was sad that it was not sustainable given some of the reluctance of
some to participat and oprn themselves to comment.

Invariably, I'll find other things to photograph and maybe not come
home with a fence shot or a photograph of a steeple. I might have
"keepers", but "keepers" of shots I didn't go out for.

The same thing happens to me. The unexpected is always a pleasant
experience when it happens.

There are also times I find I have no enthusiasm for getting out of the
house just to shoot. Those are times I find myself revisiting old
images to apply some of what I have learned as post procssing changes,
so I can get improved and/or different variations of what I did years
before. That can occupy me for hours and can be quite satisfying.

I wouldn't put down any source of inspiration. What I would decry is
being rigid and looking for only fences or only steeples because
that's what got the photographer out of the house.

The important thing for Pablo/Paul is to get off his butt and move,
regardless of the source of inspiration.

Savageduck