F8 Shoot-In

Old April 14th 10, 06:20 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Tony Cooper

Default F8 Shoot-In

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/f8__be_there

The Coe Family - Grouping them together, all interesting shots of
water where it shouldn't be (with one exception), but taken with a
good eye to what else is in the shot. I hope Mr Sisker sees Martha's
gristmill photo to see how a shot like this should be composed.

Atheist Chaplin - Nice sharp shots, but I'm not a car photo person
unless the car is rusty and pre-WWII. This is excellent use of the
deliberately tilted horizon.

Alan Browne - Excellent use of light on the faces, but there's a bit
too much weight and darkness on the left side of the image.

Calvin Sambrook - Went 2 for 3. Fun with #1, opportunism with #2, but
the tires are flats IMO.

Savageduck- Three for three. The photographer did a good job, but the
thing that draws the eye is the painting and the painting looks very
amateurish. Love the dog. The third shot is amusing enough to be a
good catch.

Alan Brown - (second series) The police car is cute but not really an
interesting capture. I can't quite figure out my reaction to the
photo of the lady. Excellent shot for the top third, but her left
hand seems out-of-proportion. The lower part is really strange. (No
offense to the lady intended) If she is not supported by something, I
assume Alan snapped this off quickly or the lady is a yoga master.

Tim Conway - Frankly, I think the Coe's pulled off flood pictures
better. Tighter on the raft might have worked better. I could see
cropping off the entire right side from the white shed and enough of
the left to make a square format. The second shot doesn't say
"flood", but we know from the other pictures that it is "flood".

Bowser - Love coke machine. That mass of bright color against the
background is effective. I'd crop the right side with that whitish
area. It competes with the coke machine. The man on the rocks
doesn't really have a central point of focus. The flood scene right
up there with the Coe's shots.

In flood shots (Coe's and Bowser's) when expected things are in
unexpected surroundings or conditions, you have a captivating image.

Furman - Well done, but not all that interesting.

Durtsch - These are WOW shots. Knowing what was going on helps to
understand the photos, but the photos work even if you don't know what
is going on.

Slightly off-topic, but something that interests me. I use SmugMug as
my host, and have a black background just as these PBase pages do.
Since many photos have dark colors at the edges, I always use a white
border (Select AllEditStroke) I think it makes the photo more
distinct on the page.

I don't see others doing do this. Which works best? Border, no
border, or does it make any difference?

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old April 14th 10, 06:53 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2010-04-13 22:20:03 -0700, tony cooper said:

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/f8__be_there

Savageduck- Three for three. The photographer did a good job, but the
thing that draws the eye is the painting and the painting looks very
amateurish. Love the dog. The third shot is amusing enough to be a
good catch.

I thought you might be amused by "vessles" & "mussles" ;-)
Monterey County Parks & Recreation were appropriately embarrassed when
I told a ranger of the goof. He got the one misspelling, "vessles" but
wasn't sure about the other until I pointed out another California
Department of Fish & Game sign he was standing next to, which detailed
the menace of the "Quagga mussel." It took them another two days to get
it fixed.

Slightly off-topic, but something that interests me. I use SmugMug as
my host, and have a black background just as these PBase pages do.
Since many photos have dark colors at the edges, I always use a white
border (Select AllEditStroke) I think it makes the photo more
distinct on the page.

I don't see others doing do this. Which works best? Border, no
border, or does it make any difference?

I think some sort of border, or "digital matte" can present some images better.

Thanks for the crit.

Savageduck

Old April 14th 10, 12:18 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Tony Cooper

On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 01:09:25 -0700, "John Sisker"
wrote:

Tony,

I did see Martha's gristmill photo, but wasn't that impressed for some
reason. Thought the background was a little over exposed. Most shots had a
depressing, dreary look to them. Of course, with the flooding, that is what
this is all about. I liked the one with the guy fishing, but would have
liked to see more of the fisherman itself, maybe as another shot.

I might have run the gristmill shot through "Shadows/Highlights" with
a kick to the midtones in Photoshop. It's not over-exposure of the
background, but that the sun's behind the building (see the shadow of
the pine tree) so the face is in shadow. It's the composition,
though, that I was thinking of in the comparison to your shot.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old April 14th 10, 12:28 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Charles E Hardwidge

"tony cooper" wrote in message

I don't see others doing do this. Which works best? Border, no
border, or does it make any difference?

You have to ask yourself what that design element achieves within the
broader scheme. It's a judgement call but I don't think it works in this
context nor is there an big enough justification for that particular photo.

FU trimmed to alt.photography

--
Charles E Hardwidge
Old April 14th 10, 12:57 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Tony Cooper

On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 12:28:27 +0100, "Charles E Hardwidge"
wrote:

"tony cooper" wrote in message
.. .

I don't see others doing do this. Which works best? Border, no
border, or does it make any difference?

You have to ask yourself what that design element achieves within the
broader scheme. It's a judgement call but I don't think it works in this
context nor is there an big enough justification for that particular photo.

What particular photo? I do it on all, and was asking about photos in
general.

FU trimmed to alt.photography

FU restored.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old April 14th 10, 01:09 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Charles E Hardwidge

wrote:

"tony cooper" wrote in message
. ..

I don't see others doing do this. Which works best? Border, no
border, or does it make any difference?

You have to ask yourself what that design element achieves within the
broader scheme. It's a judgement call but I don't think it works in this
context nor is there an big enough justification for that particular
photo.

What particular photo? I do it on all, and was asking about photos in
general.

FU trimmed to alt.photography

FU restored.

Said what I said. If you don't understand it I can't be ****ing arsed
especially as you're being a dick with the follow-ups.

Old April 14th 10, 01:30 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Tim Conway[_2_]

"tony cooper" wrote in message
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/f8__be_there

Tim Conway - Frankly, I think the Coe's pulled off flood pictures
better. Tighter on the raft might have worked better. I could see
cropping off the entire right side from the white shed and enough of
the left to make a square format. The second shot doesn't say
"flood", but we know from the other pictures that it is "flood".

I like your idea of cropping at the white shed. These really were just grab
shots of the running high Susquehanna River in PA.

Slightly off-topic, but something that interests me. I use SmugMug as
my host, and have a black background just as these PBase pages do.
Since many photos have dark colors at the edges, I always use a white
border (Select AllEditStroke) I think it makes the photo more
distinct on the page.

I don't see others doing do this. Which works best? Border, no
border, or does it make any difference?

I don't think it really matters. A point to consider is that in museums and
exhibits, a lot of photos on display have white mats so a white border is in
pretty good company.

Old April 14th 10, 01:37 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
whisky-dave

"tony cooper" wrote in message
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/f8__be_there

Slightly off-topic, but something that interests me. I use SmugMug as
my host, and have a black background just as these PBase pages do.
Since many photos have dark colors at the edges, I always use a white
border (Select AllEditStroke) I think it makes the photo more
distinct on the page.

I don't see others doing do this. Which works best? Border, no
border, or does it make any difference?

When I used to enter prints mounted on card there was always lots of
disagreement
over what looks best, black/white/grey card, should boarders be 1" or should
the bottom
boarder be larger to 'support' the picture. Where should the title go top,
bottom
justified centre, left or right. Then we went on to what shade or type of
mount would
look best for this picture. It seemed to be less about photography and more
about mount
making. But it is true the way a picture is mounted can have a significant
effect.

..

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Old April 14th 10, 01:45 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Richard[_5_]

Old April 14th 10, 01:52 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Charles E Hardwidge

"Richard" wrote in message

???