How much does cutting-edge AF matter? Watch Nikon

Old October 3rd 20, 02:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default How much does cutting-edge AF matter? Watch Nikon

In article , Alfred
Molon wrote:

100% correct. Until you lose a wedding shoot, or something else, where
?shoot? becomes what the client does to you.

Perhaps I'm lucky, but in over 20 years of use (have been using
digital cameras since 1997) I've never had a memory card fail in
the camera.

there's always a first.
Old October 3rd 20, 09:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Oct 3, 2020, Alfred Molon wrote
(in . com):

In ternal-
september.org, says...

100% correct. Until you lose a wedding shoot, or something else, where
?shoot? becomes what the client does to you.

Perhaps I'm lucky, but in over 20 years of use (have been using
digital cameras since 1997) I've never had a memory card fail in
the camera.

Other things have occasionally failed over the years (e.g. the
flash hotshoe contacts got exidised, lens AF of Sony lenses
broke a number of times), but memory cards have never failed
(not even 20 years ago, when the technology was new).

So, while I'm not complaining about this second memory card
slot, if it didn't exist, it wouldn't make any difference.

By the way, on a side note, I've never had a camera body fail,
but I've experienced problems with Sony and Tamron lenses for
the Sony A mount (the AF failed). On the other hand, I've been
using m4/3 equipment over the last 4 years and everything is
still working fine, so I guess Olympus equipment is quite
reliable.

The need to you, and anyone else, for a second slot, is going to depend on
how important the photos are. If you have a client, and that client is
depending on you for some very important photos, it would be irresponsible to
not have a second slot with a backup card, especially since most pro-level
bodies have dual slots now. If cards never failed, you wouldn’t get any
hits when you Googled the failure rate.

Old October 3rd 20, 09:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Oct 3, 2020, nospam wrote
(in ) :

In article
l-september.org, Bill
W wrote:

But is all that really needed, given that there are huge memory
cards (1TB) and the professional will backup the images on the
computer anyway?
the backup protects against card failure.

if you're writing to one card and it fails, you won't have any images
to back up on the computer.

with a second backup card, you will.

it's basically a raid-1.

2 slots is like an extended warranty; most experts in commerce will tell
you
it's a waste of money, and the math proves it.

100% correct. Until you lose a wedding shoot, or something else, where
³shoot² becomes what the client does to you.

or worse, having to deal with an angry bride and her family...

I’d shoot myself before they got to me.

Old October 3rd 20, 09:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne[_2_]

On 2020-10-03 07:30, Alfred Molon wrote:
In article l-
september.org, says...

100% correct. Until you lose a wedding shoot, or something else, where
?shoot? becomes what the client does to you.

Perhaps I'm lucky, but in over 20 years of use (have been using
digital cameras since 1997) I've never had a memory card fail in
the camera.

Other things have occasionally failed over the years (e.g. the
flash hotshoe contacts got exidised, lens AF of Sony lenses
broke a number of times), but memory cards have never failed
(not even 20 years ago, when the technology was new).

https://youtu.be/qqo-MtNy2Ps Not a stringently done survey, but a pretty
big sample pool.

Basically: The more you shoot, the more likely a failure.

So pros see more fails as they can easily shoot thousands of photos per
week.

So, while I'm not complaining about this second memory card
slot, if it didn't exist, it wouldn't make any difference.

That's based on your experience, not fact. Cards do fail.

By the way, on a side note, I've never had a camera body fail,
but I've experienced problems with Sony and Tamron lenses for
the Sony A mount (the AF failed). On the other hand, I've been
using m4/3 equipment over the last 4 years and everything is
still working fine, so I guess Olympus equipment is quite
reliable.

Or you don't use it much. Or you baby it. Or ...

I've only had 1 piece of gear fail. A Minolta 5400HS flash about 1
month after the warranty ended. They repaired it at no charge other
than S&H. (About $10 at the time).

--
"...there are many humorous things in this world; among them the white
man's notion that he is less savage than the other savages."
Old October 3rd 20, 10:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_8_]

On Oct 3, 2020 at 1:01:53 PM PDT, "Bill W" wrote:

[...]

I have my X-T2 & X-T3 which have dual SD slots (I sold my D300S) and I usually
shoot RAW+JPEG. So I have slot #1 set to record RAW, and slot #2 set to record
JPEG. So far I have not had an SD card failure using Sandisk Extreme Pro, or
Sandisk Extreme Plus SDHC cards.
Since I am not exactly a "pro" shooting weddings, I am not particularly
worried about a mirrored backup to slot#2, and in case of a failure I have
either a RAW, or JPEG copy of the images from any shoot.
Savageduck

Old October 4th 20, 12:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne[_2_]

On 2020-10-03 18:59, Alfred Molon wrote:
I also easily shoot rhousands of photos per week when I use the
camera, but in the past 23 years I haven't had a memory card
failure.

Which is statistically irrelevant.

Besides, I copy all pictures (at least) once a day to the
computer.

Which is meaningless if the card dies in the camera during use.

Old October 4th 20, 01:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Oct 3, 2020, RichA wrote
(in ):

On Saturday, 3 October 2020 at 01:13:38 UTC-4, Bill W wrote:
On Oct 2, 2020, RichA wrote
(in ):
On Thursday, 1 October 2020 at 14:06:46 UTC-4, nospam wrote:
In , Alfred
Molon wrote:

What is the second card slot needed for? My camera has two card
slots, but I've been using only one for the past years.

They can be configured in different ways. You can have double the
storage,
one
for RAW the other for JPEG or, as preferred by professionals, one will
be
backup of the other.

But is all that really needed, given that there are huge memory
cards (1TB) and the professional will backup the images on the
computer anyway?
the backup protects against card failure.

if you're writing to one card and it fails, you won't have any images
to back up on the computer.

with a second backup card, you will.

it's basically a raid-1.

2 slots is like an extended warranty; most experts in commerce will tell
you
it's a waste of money, and the math proves it.

100% correct. Until you lose a wedding shoot, or something else, where
“shoot” becomes what the client does to you.

Do you cower in your house during a lightning storm too? Do you feel cheated
if you don't win a lottery or if you chose numbers that were "so close?" They
are all signs of the general public's inability to understand statistics and
weigh risk. Boiled-down, it's gullibility and it is without doubt the most
dangerous (to society) trait humans possess.

I’m certain that I know much more about probability than you are assuming,
and you might know less than you think. The probability of something
happening is only one consideration. What is as important is the damage, or
cost, of the undesired outcome, along with what it takes to prevent that bad
outcome. Since that bad outcome can be very, very bad, and since all it takes
is a second card to seriously reduce the risk, you might want to rethink your
position.

Old October 4th 20, 01:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Oct 3, 2020, Savageduck wrote
(in ):

On Oct 3, 2020 at 1:01:53 PM PDT, "Bill wrote:

[...]

I don’t use a second card as a backup either. My photos are a hobby, and
losing them would mean little to me. I use the second card in sequence.