Olympus D-400 Zoom--Largest SmartMedia Card?

Old July 20th 06, 04:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Default Olympus D-400 Zoom--Largest SmartMedia Card?

Yes, I know this is an oldie, but I called Olympus and they don't know
if it can accept anything larger than a 32MB card. Would anyone who has
this older camera be able to tell me if it can accept a 64MB or a 128MB
card? Thanks!

Old July 21st 06, 09:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Keith Sheppard

I wondered when my C2100uz said it could accept up to 64mb cards.
That's just because there were not faster cards when the camera's
manual was produced. If you're not certain, borrow a large card from
someone and see if it works. Either that or buy one from a local store
which has a good return policy. You shouldn't be limited by the camera,
I'd think

You may be limited by the camera's firmware. If the programmers who wrote
it decided they didn't need to allow for more than n-bits in an address
field then that can be a limiting factor.

I had an engineer friend a long time back who built his own computer. This
was back in the days before microprocessors and PCs. This computer's frame
was built out of Dexion and solid wood beams, and the computer itself was
made from discreet TTL logic - nothing more complicated than an AND gate. I
seem to recall that his instruction code had 8 address lines so the hardware
design limited the memory capacity to 256 "Words" (this was before computers
could "bite") because "no private individual could ever afford to own more
than that".

It only took about a year and a half before he was eating his words.

Keith

Old July 25th 06, 06:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill Funk

On 20 Jul 2006 17:05:45 -0700, "GW" wrote:

wrote:
Yes, I know this is an oldie, but I called Olympus and they don't know
if it can accept anything larger than a 32MB card. Would anyone who has
this older camera be able to tell me if it can accept a 64MB or a 128MB
card? Thanks!

I wondered when my C2100uz said it could accept up to 64mb cards.
That's just because there were not faster cards when the camera's
manual was produced. If you're not certain, borrow a large card from
someone and see if it works. Either that or buy one from a local store
which has a good return policy. You shouldn't be limited by the camera,
I'd think.

SM is indeed limited by the camera. SmartMedia isn't smart (and
Compact Flash isn't compact :-) ); the controller is in the device
(the camera in this case) not the card. As time went by, the
controllers could access larger SM cards, but the larger SM cards
couldn't be seen by the older devices.
Life is like that. :-(
--
Bill Funk