got a mass storage device at last

Old February 18th 05, 07:16 PM
Ian Lincoln

Default got a mass storage device at last

hi there, just bought an archos gemini 400. Lightning quick downloads from
built in card reader to hard disk. plays wma, mp3, mp4 videos, stores
ordinary data, records directly from hifi, is a dictaphone, displays videos
and photos on a tv. costs £269 on the market. 2.2 " screen and 20gb hard
disk. anyone else out there bought a portable hardisk like this?

Old February 18th 05, 11:18 PM
William Graham

"Ian Lincoln" wrote in message
. uk...
hi there, just bought an archos gemini 400. Lightning quick downloads
from
built in card reader to hard disk. plays wma, mp3, mp4 videos, stores
ordinary data, records directly from hifi, is a dictaphone, displays
videos
and photos on a tv. costs £269 on the market. 2.2 " screen and 20gb hard
disk. anyone else out there bought a portable hardisk like this?

Does it have the capability of hi-fi recording from a microphone? They sell
solid state storage cards that are about the same size as a matchbook that
can store a gigabyte of information, but I still need an old fashioned
cassette tape recorder to get decent recording of my community band at
practice. All of these devices are used for recording MP3 files downloaded
from the internet via ones computer. Why don't any of them record what you
can hear on the scene through a decent microphone? After all, real music
occupies only an 8 kilohertz bandwidth. (the highest note on a piano is only
about 8 KHz) Oh sure, they will eventually come out with one of these a week
or two after I am dead. At about the same time that the drug companies will
start marketing the drug that cures whatever-it-is that I died from.........

Old February 19th 05, 12:53 AM
Malcolm Stewart

"William Graham" wrote in message

[...]

I assume you know about MiniDisc ? The latest Hi-MD types (take 1GB discs)
are capable of uncompressed 16 bit PCM recording from microphone, (plus
download from the Net etc.) and weigh around 100g.

--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK

Old February 19th 05, 10:44 PM
William Graham

"Malcolm Stewart" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Is this the device that SONY came out with about ten years ago that never
caught on, and seemed to die a natural death? The discs were almost the same
size as 1.44 MB computer floppies, but not quite....Just different enough so
they were not interchangeable.......I will investigate them, in any case,
but why a spinning drive, when one gigabyte solid state storage devices are
selling for about $100 each? To me, it seems a natural thing to do to use
these for audio storage........

Old February 19th 05, 11:25 PM
Malcolm Stewart

"William Graham" wrote in message

I assume you know about MiniDisc ? The latest Hi-MD types (take 1GB
discs)
are capable of uncompressed 16 bit PCM recording from microphone, (plus
download from the Net etc.) and weigh around 100g.

Is this the device that SONY came out with about ten years ago that never
caught on, and seemed to die a natural death? The discs were almost the

same
size as 1.44 MB computer floppies, but not quite....Just different enough

so
they were not interchangeable.......I will investigate them, in any case,
but why a spinning drive, when one gigabyte solid state storage devices

are
selling for about $100 each? To me, it seems a natural thing to do to use
these for audio storage........

Yes. They've been upgraded somewhat.
Forgot to mention that they can also function as a computer drive (USB
connection), and lots of people, not me at the moment, are excited that they
can now play MP3s as well as the various varieties of ATRAC encoded audio.
(45 CDs on a 1GB Hi-MD disc costing around 5GBP in the UK.)
--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK

Old February 20th 05, 12:26 AM
William Graham

"Malcolm Stewart" wrote in
message ...
[...]

That is interesting. - That they can be used as computer storage, I mean. It
shows a versatility that is encouraging to me, at least. I have checked up
on some of the SONY minidisk recorders. They look like what I need, and they
sell for under $200. I guess the sound quality will depend on how good a
microphone I purchase with them, but it looks like they will do the job for
me.

Old February 20th 05, 12:57 AM
Malcolm Stewart

[...]

If you want to record using a microphone, do make sure that the unit you buy
has a microphone input. Not all do, and if my memory is correct, inputs may
vary depending on where you buy them!
I'm using mine for dummy head stereo - ideal combo with lapel mikes attached
to each side of my baseball cap.

Lots of info at www.minidisc.org
--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK

Lots of info at www.minidisc.org
--

Thanks....I've been reading up on it through Google....Apparently there
exists a cult of people who specialize in live concert recording using these

Old February 20th 05, 11:38 AM
Ian Lincoln

"William Graham" wrote in

the gemini has a line in and a built in microphone. I can finally do
something about my vinyl collection.

Old February 20th 05, 03:15 PM
McLeod

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 00:57:08 -0000, "Malcolm Stewart"
wrote:

If you want to record using a microphone, do make sure that the unit you buy
has a microphone input. Not all do, and if my memory is correct, inputs may
vary depending on where you buy them!
I'm using mine for dummy head stereo - ideal combo with lapel mikes attached
to each side of my baseball cap.

I am looking into a small permanent storage device for when I'm out
shooting for a few weeks at a time. I see they're magneto-optical,
how permanent are they? Can they burn right from a CF card? Or do
they need to be connected to a laptop, which I'm trying to avoid
carrying with me?