Fly with Apple

Old September 27th 13, 03:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_4_]

Default Fly with Apple

People using Apple maps have been directed to the tarmac at Fairbanks
Airport

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2013/09/26/apple-maps-app-directs-drivers-to-runway/

Yeah! I know most people who use Apple maps, don't live in Fairbanks.

--
PeterN
Old September 27th 13, 03:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Thu, 26 Sep 2013 22:45:20 -0400, PeterN
wrote:

People using Apple maps have been directed to the tarmac at Fairbanks
Airport

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2013/09/26/apple-maps-app-directs-drivers-to-runway/

Yeah! I know most people who use Apple maps, don't live in Fairbanks.

I believe Apple maps have already ensured that they have moved to some
of the more deserted back-blocks of New South Wales.

Eric Stevens
Old September 27th 13, 04:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2013-09-26 19:45:20 -0700, PeterN said:

People using Apple maps have been directed to the tarmac at Fairbanks Airport

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2013/09/26/apple-maps-app-directs-drivers-to-runway/

Yeah!

I know most people who use Apple maps, don't live in Fairbanks.

....but a certain ex-governor of Alaska should be able to use them to
locate Russia from her back door.

Savageduck

Old September 27th 13, 01:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
J. Clarke[_2_]

says...

On 2013-09-26 19:45:20 -0700, PeterN said:

People using Apple maps have been directed to the tarmac at Fairbanks Airport

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2013/09/26/apple-maps-app-directs-drivers-to-runway/

Yeah!

I know most people who use Apple maps, don't live in Fairbanks.

...but a certain ex-governor of Alaska should be able to use them to
locate Russia from her back door.

On a trip a few years back the GPS directed me to a gas station that was
in the middle of the main runway on a large commercial airport. At
least that's where it would have been if there hadn't been the main
runway of a large commercial airport there instead. On that same trip
it directed me to make a left turn at a spot where making a left turn
would have required that a penetrate a guard rail, cross a median,
penetrate another guard rail, cross three lanes of oncoming 70 mph
traffic, penetrate a third guard rail, navigate across a ditch,
penetrate a chain link fence, climb an embankment, and penetrate another
chain link fence and guard rail.

On the way home, seeking to get off the boredom of the Interstate for a
bit, I told it to avoid Interstates. So it sent me down a nice pleasant
little suburban street, that turned into a rural road, that turned into
a gravel road, then a dirt road, then a Jeep trail, which finally came
to a fence around a pasture with a hole cut in the fence. I was on a
motorcycle and could have navigated both the hole and the pasture, but
the farmer with the shotgun glaring at me was a bit offputting so I
waved to him, turned around, and went back to the Interstate.
Old September 27th 13, 03:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

says...

On 2013-09-26 19:45:20 -0700, PeterN said:

People using Apple maps have been directed to the tarmac at Fairbanks Airport

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2013/09/26/apple-maps-app-directs-drivers-to-runway/

Yeah!

know most people who use Apple maps, don't live in Fairbanks.

...but a certain ex-governor of Alaska should be able to use them to
locate Russia from her back door.

On a trip a few years back the GPS directed me to a gas station that was
in the middle of the main runway on a large commercial airport.

....and Shell probably had an aviation fuel concession at the airport
with fuel truck delivering all over the field.

[...]

On those earlier GPS units it was not a good idea to believe everything
that seductive voice would whisper in your ear.
....and it is a good idea to get the updates for a GPS when they are offered.

Savageduck

Old September 27th 13, 03:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_4_]

says...

On 2013-09-26 19:45:20 -0700, PeterN said:

[...]

And some of the current ones too. When gong to the Miami Zoo, the GPS
insisted that I travel through a swamp.

--
PeterN
Old September 28th 13, 03:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_4_]

On 9/27/2013 10:54 AM, Tony Cooper wrote:
On Fri, 27 Sep 2013 10:49:33 -0400, PeterN
wrote:

On those earlier GPS units it was not a good idea to believe everything
that seductive voice would whisper in your ear.
...and it is a good idea to get the updates for a GPS when they are
offered.

And some of the current ones too. When gong to the Miami Zoo, the GPS
insisted that I travel through a swamp.

And well it should if you were driving from the west coast of Florida
to Miami.

I was driving from Pompano. Funny you should say that, I am waiting for
a bird guide from Sanibel to get back to me, so we can make
reservations. I want to make sure I am there on a day when it's low tide
when the preserve opens. The first time I went with him was back in the
70s. He took me out in a canoe, but I took no pictures. I had left my
film in my car. At that time a four hour trip was $20, for just me. I
went with him two years ago, and last year. Always, enjoyed the trip,
and got some decent shots.

--
PeterN
Old October 3rd 13, 06:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
otter

On 9/26/2013 9:45 PM, PeterN wrote:
People using Apple maps have been directed to the tarmac at Fairbanks
Airport

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2013/09/26/apple-maps-app-directs-drivers-to-runway/

Yeah! I know most people who use Apple maps, don't live in Fairbanks.

That airport has some real security issues if drivers were able to make
their way out onto the runway! Warning signs aren't adequate security.

Apple isn't the only GPS with problems. On a cross-country trip a few
years ago with my son, we used his Tom-Tom to direct us to Bryce Canyon.
We ended up on a dirt road high up the side of a mountain before we
decided the shortcut it was taking didn't actually exist. A 50 mile
detour, but the scenery was pretty.
Old October 3rd 13, 07:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , otter
wrote:

Apple isn't the only GPS with problems. On a cross-country trip a few
years ago with my son, we used his Tom-Tom to direct us to Bryce Canyon.
We ended up on a dirt road high up the side of a mountain before we
decided the shortcut it was taking didn't actually exist. A 50 mile
detour, but the scenery was pretty.

apple uses tomtom as one of its data sources.
Old October 3rd 13, 10:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_4_]

On 10/3/2013 1:28 PM, otter wrote:
On 9/26/2013 9:45 PM, PeterN wrote:
People using Apple maps have been directed to the tarmac at Fairbanks
Airport

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2013/09/26/apple-maps-app-directs-drivers-to-runway/

Yeah! I know most people who use Apple maps, don't live in Fairbanks.

That airport has some real security issues if drivers were able to make
their way out onto the runway! Warning signs aren't adequate security.

Yes, indeed it does.
Many years ago during a heavy rain i made a wrong turn an wound up on a
landing strip, at Idlewild, (now JFK.) It was quite a scary experience.

Apple isn't the only GPS with problems. On a cross-country trip a few
years ago with my son, we used his Tom-Tom to direct us to Bryce Canyon.
We ended up on a dirt road high up the side of a mountain before we
decided the shortcut it was taking didn't actually exist. A 50 mile
detour, but the scenery was pretty.

I know. I have a friend who designed some of the algorithms, who was
telling me some of the real issues they all face.

--
PeterN