Neither D4 output nor 85mm f1.8 lens look spectacular

Old January 6th 12, 07:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Mike[_25_]

Default Neither D4 output nor 85mm f1.8 lens look spectacular

On 06/01/2012 1:51 PM, RichA wrote:
It's early yet, but this does not look like it controls noise the way
the D3s does. At 3200 ISO, coloured speckles are clearly visible even
in mild shadow. The lens sharpness wide open is average, with
noticeable fringing. It also shows the same oval OOF highlights at
the edge that the 85mm f1.4 does.

http://www.bezergheanu.com/TestNikon...6_WrGcvtd-O-LB

This from RichA who hasn't had the items in his hands...

--
Mike
Old January 6th 12, 07:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Floyd L. Davidson

Mike wrote:
On 06/01/2012 1:51 PM, RichA wrote:
It's early yet, but this does not look like it controls noise the way
the D3s does. At 3200 ISO, coloured speckles are clearly visible even
in mild shadow. The lens sharpness wide open is average, with
noticeable fringing. It also shows the same oval OOF highlights at
the edge that the 85mm f1.4 does.

http://www.bezergheanu.com/TestNikon...6_WrGcvtd-O-LB

This from RichA who hasn't had the items in his hands...

And never will actually touch any of it.

This is really good though: "does not look like it
controls noise the way the D3s does. At 3200 ISO, ..."

Given that so far the only images from the D4 that have
been released were shot a month ago by Joe McNally, and
are three shots at ISO 100 and two others at ISO 6400,
one just has to wonder who he thinks he's kidding! :-)

Just as silly though, there are people complaining that
the ISO 6400 images show visible horizontal banding in the
deep shadow noise! Yep, it you boost brightness by 4 stops,
total black isn't total black anymore!

--
Floyd L. Davidson http://www.apaflo.com/
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
Old January 6th 12, 08:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Mike[_25_]

On 06/01/2012 2:39 PM, Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
wrote:
[...]

And with a pre-production camera and lens. I recall the first time I saw
the D300, it had the CF card save turned off, as it was a pre-production
model at a trade show, and they (Nikon) didn't want bad samples showing
up online.

--
Mike
Old January 7th 12, 06:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Floyd L. Davidson

RichA wrote:

http://www.bezergheanu.com/TestNikon...8-af-s/2091587...

This from RichA who hasn't had the items in his hands...

And never will actually *touch any of it.

This is really good though: "does not look like it
controls noise the way the D3s does. *At 3200 ISO, ..."

Given that so far the only images from the D4 that have
been released were shot a month ago by Joe McNally, and
are three shots at ISO 100 and two others at ISO 6400,
one just has to wonder who he thinks he's kidding! :-)

The shot in the link is from the D4 and is at 3200 ISO.

It is not a JPEG that I can download, and there are
no similar shots from a D3S to make the comparison you
claimed.

Here's the series

http://www.bezergheanu.com/TestNikon...4017&k=XN2MZrT

Take a look at ISO 25,600 images and explain to us again
how there is nothing special about a D4.

Have you ever even so much as seen a D3S?

Regardless, until we have a few NEF files at different
ISO's it won't be possible to actually know for sure
just how much of an improvement the D4 is over a D3S.

Old January 7th 12, 11:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
PeterN

On 1/7/2012 1:30 AM, Floyd L. Davidson wrote:

snip
Take a look at ISO 25,600 images and explain to us again
how there is nothing special about a D4.

Have you ever even so much as seen a D3S?

Regardless, until we have a few NEF files at different
ISO's it won't be possible to actually know for sure
just how much of an improvement the D4 is over a D3S.

Did you really think facts matter to the OP.

--
Peter
Old January 7th 12, 01:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Floyd L. Davidson

PeterN wrote:
On 1/7/2012 1:30 AM, Floyd L. Davidson wrote:

snip
Take a look at ISO 25,600 images and explain to us again
how there is nothing special about a D4.

Have you ever even so much as seen a D3S?

Regardless, until we have a few NEF files at different
ISO's it won't be possible to actually know for sure
just how much of an improvement the D4 is over a D3S.

Did you really think facts matter to the OP.

Are you that stupid?

The OP is. But this post will be archived, and Google will find it for
many people who aren't stupid but don't know.

Old January 7th 12, 01:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Floyd L. Davidson

PeterN wrote:
On 1/7/2012 1:30 AM, Floyd L. Davidson wrote:

snip
Take a look at ISO 25,600 images and explain to us again
how there is nothing special about a D4.

Have you ever even so much as seen a D3S?

Regardless, until we have a few NEF files at different
ISO's it won't be possible to actually know for sure
just how much of an improvement the D4 is over a D3S.

Did you really think facts matter to the OP.

Incidentally (all on topic things technical seem to be
incidental on this newsgroup), the web site that was
cited now has quite a number of random shots taken with
a D4.

It was a "spur of the moment" access, none of them
qualify as valid for comparing to anything else. Yet
it's pretty clear that the D4 has better image quality
at ISO 12,800 than the D3S. Not positive, and not
quantifiable at this time, but it does seem apparent
enough that anyone who pushes the limits of a D3S with
event or other low light photography that has been
sitting on a fence to see, will probably see enough to
make a decision.

My estimate is that virtually everyone serious about
that type of camera is going to jump on a D4 as fast as
they can. And in that respect, it seems Amazon.com
(according to NikonRumors) opened up pre-orders and
almost immediately filled their quota. So far no
indication that others have closed off pre-orders, but
I'm not sure they mind back ordering a few thousand
cameras and annoying customers.

I don't watch the model releases of other brands, but
since I do use Nikon it is something I watch. It's
hilarious too. Ritz, for example, is the largest US
distributor of Nikon cameras, and as such will have the
biggest quota. They will take perhaps twice or three
times as many pre-orders as their quota, and will be
shipping 40-50 camera a day for months to come!

At the same time small independent (single store)
retailers around the country will get 1 or 2 (the
largest independent retailer in the US gets 5) cameras,
and many of them won't sell their quota for months.

Hence there are two ways, other than pure luck, to get a
newly released Nikon body quickly. One is to qualify for
Nikon Professional Services status, which many working
pro's do not, or find a nice little store in Ponduq
Holler, and call them to see if they've got one!

Old January 7th 12, 05:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
PeterN

On 1/7/2012 8:39 AM, Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
wrote:
[...]

While I am seriously consider getting one I want to see what the
production models are like. I can always pick up a 3s, or wait for the
800. Since I am not a pro, I consider cutting edge nice, but not essential.
Peter
Old January 7th 12, 05:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
PeterN

On 1/7/2012 8:15 AM, Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
wrote:
On 1/7/2012 1:30 AM, Floyd L. Davidson wrote:

snip
Take a look at ISO 25,600 images and explain to us again
how there is nothing special about a D4.

Have you ever even so much as seen a D3S?

Regardless, until we have a few NEF files at different
ISO's it won't be possible to actually know for sure
just how much of an improvement the D4 is over a D3S.

Did you really think facts matter to the OP.

Are you that stupid?

The OP is. But this post will be archived, and Google will find it for
many people who aren't stupid but don't know.

There are times I think I must be, for even bothering to reply to him.

--
Peter