What Is Wrong With the Built-in Flash of Sony Alpha A55?

Old December 22nd 11, 01:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Trevor[_2_]

Default What Is Wrong With the Built-in Flash of Sony Alpha A55?

"Robert Coe" wrote in message
Which brings up a somewhat related question: Is there any good reason why
NiMH
batteries shouldn't be used as replacements for alkalines in, say, a
flashlight?

Not AFAIK.

If any device is voltage tolerant, a flashlight, which contains no
complicated electronics, ought to be. But NiMHs (the ones I use anyway)
are
slightly larger in diameter and won't fit in a flashlight. I've looked at
several AA-using flashlights, and none of them will accept NiMHs. Is that
intentional? I don't see why it should be, but I don't see how it could be
accidental either.

Strange, I use NiMH in my flashlight, and the ones I have are the same size
as alkaline in any case. Not to mention the AA torches I have are rather
oversized compared to the cell size anyway. I have more problems with 9V
alkalines which seem to vary in size such that some don't fit in my wireless
mics, or other equipment.
And some "9V" NiMH are only 6 cell, so really only 7.2V and useless for
almost anything, with the 7 cell varieties often being too big to fit. :-(

Trevor.

Old December 22nd 11, 03:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David Dyer-Bennet

Robert Coe writes:

Which brings up a somewhat related question: Is there any good reason why NiMH
batteries shouldn't be used as replacements for alkalines in, say, a
flashlight? If any device is voltage tolerant, a flashlight, which contains no
complicated electronics, ought to be. But NiMHs (the ones I use anyway) are
slightly larger in diameter and won't fit in a flashlight. I've looked at
several AA-using flashlights, and none of them will accept NiMHs. Is that
intentional? I don't see why it should be, but I don't see how it could be
accidental either.

I've never tried. Alkalines fit slightly loosely in my flashlights,
though.

I think of a flashlight as emergency equipment (this is different from
for example a night-shift policeman, who probably uses his some every
night). Thus, being able to sit for a long time, and work when I grab
it, are key. NiMH batteries self-discharge much too fast for this to be
a viable use for them, for me. Which is why I haven't tried.

I have a number of devices that support both NiMH and Alkaline (and
primary lithium cells, too), anyway.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, ; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info
Old December 22nd 11, 09:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
nospam

In article , Robert Coe
wrote:

Which brings up a somewhat related question: Is there any good reason why NiMH
batteries shouldn't be used as replacements for alkalines in, say, a
flashlight?

standard nimh batteries will self-discharge fairly quickly, so you may
find they're dead when it comes time to use the flashlight.

slow discharge nimh, such as eneloops, would be a much better choice if
the flashlight is not used that often.

If any device is voltage tolerant, a flashlight, which contains no
complicated electronics, ought to be. But NiMHs (the ones I use anyway) are
slightly larger in diameter and won't fit in a flashlight. I've looked at
several AA-using flashlights, and none of them will accept NiMHs. Is that
intentional? I don't see why it should be, but I don't see how it could be
accidental either.

i haven't found that to be a problem.
Old December 26th 11, 05:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Chris Malcolm[_2_]

Robert Coe wrote:
On Wed, 21 Dec 2011 09:58:05 -0600, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

: Modern hardware is often fairly voltage-tolerant. For example, the
: third-party external battery pack I use with my D700 runs with a
: proprietary Nikon EN-el3e battery, or with 8 alkaline batteries, or 8
: primary Lithium batteries, or 8 NiMH batteries.
:
: For another example, Nikon's SB-800 flash runs with either 4 internal AA
: batteries, or with 5 using the extended battery compartment door. And
: those batteries can be alkaline or NiMH.

Which brings up a somewhat related question: Is there any good reason why NiMH
batteries shouldn't be used as replacements for alkalines in, say, a
flashlight? If any device is voltage tolerant, a flashlight, which contains no
complicated electronics, ought to be. But NiMHs (the ones I use anyway) are
slightly larger in diameter and won't fit in a flashlight. I've looked at
several AA-using flashlights, and none of them will accept NiMHs. Is that
intentional? I don't see why it should be, but I don't see how it could be
accidental either.

There is tolerance on the size of AA cells. Because rechargeable
battery makers are engaged in a capacity war they keep squeezing the
size of their cells closer and closer to the limit. Some may step over
it a bit, perhpas hoping there'll be enough tolerance in the battery
holders. I note my oldest AA using devices are slightly narrower than
the more recent ones and won't take my my chubbiest AA rechargeables.

--
Chris Malcolm