Selecting Photos for Slideshow

Old May 2nd 07, 10:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
One4All

Default Selecting Photos for Slideshow

I want to produce DVDs of photos that I & others have taken of my
family over a long period of time. I have no children, so these DVDs
are for families of brothers & sisters and for long time friends,
including my ex-wife. The problem is not knowing which photos will
interest these people.

Of course, they all interest *me*. It's almost impossible to separate
photos for each interest group. That is, tailoring a DVD for each
group. However, there may be some photos to omit, such as friends of
mine during high school and college days. I've edited these photos to
avoid repetition, but even the included may lack interest. They are
good, well-composed photos, so I've justified in my mind that they may
be of interest for photographic reasons, alone. In other words, it's
as much about my photography over the years as it is about my family &
friends. At least, that's what I tell myself.

I include a title clip at the beginning, briefly explaining this, &
that with a DVD remote, viewers can skip whatever images fail to
interest them. I just decided to include the whole damn thing. I'd
appreciate hearing from anyone who's faced the same dilemma and how
they solved it. Well, as far as that goes, I'd appreciate hearing from
anyone. I'm early in the process, so I can go back & change anything
easily.

I just need help in defining my goal. I have a goal, but question it.

Old May 2nd 07, 10:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
thehick

On May 2, 5:18 pm, One4All wrote:
I want to produce DVDs of photos that I & others have taken of my
family over a long period of time.

snip
I just recently started to host a web-site for pictures of the
extended family. I grappled with this concept also. and at
first just put everything up. then i realized that doing
some basic categorization would be better. so i grouped
things by:
date -- occasion
-- all
-- highlights
-- bloopers
-- other-people's-pictures

This way folks could just check the highlights of any
occasion and if they had more time/interest, they could
look at everything.

I make sure that every person at any particular occasion
is represented at least in one picture in the Highlight grouping.
Any I give all involved veto power over any pic they are in.

hope this gives you some ideas on how you might
improve your presentation. instead of DVD, I would
suggest setting up a web site with pictures
and flash movies. much more accessible, immediate
and more likely to be useful to everyone.
good luck...thehick

Old May 2nd 07, 11:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
One4All

On May 2, 3:29 pm, thehick wrote:
On May 2, 5:18 pm, One4All wrote: I want to produce DVDs of photos that I & others have taken of my
[...]

Thanks, Hick

I've started by proceeding in straight chronological order without any
divisions in terms of time or place. I think the easiest course for me
is to insert titles, such as "High School Years," "College Years,"
etc. That way, people can skip what doesn't interest them. I may try
some other strategies.

As to a website, (I'm revealing my age, now.) most of the folks don't
use the Internet that much, or at least that's my perception. It's not
a viable alternative at this point, & instead of blaming them, maybe I
have to admit that going the Internet route is not what I want to get
into at this point.

But, your comment has broken the log jam for me & thank you.

Old May 8th 07, 07:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bobdddds

On May 3, 5:18 am, One4All wrote:
[...]

You can use Wondershare DVD Slideshow Builder which is very powerful
and very popular now, many friends and I like it very much. It's very
easy to create a customized DVD slideshow with photos and videos, and
to add music, transitions, and cool pan/zoom effects and make
beautiful DVD menus. Also, you can create .mp4, .wmv, .avi, .3gp
movies from videos in other formats for our iPod, Zune and 3GP Cell
Phones, Youtube .etc.

To be important, it has great photo and video editing function that
can meet all our needs. For example, you can perfect your photos with
attractive frames, special mask effects, and rich Cliparts, Wordarts
or Text. And it is easy to crop music to sync with slideshow. You can
use the video edit function to trim the video, add the caption and
frame to the video, and change the original audio with your favorite
music, etc.

You can download it free here
http://www.photo-to-dvd.com/dvd-slid...lder.php?sid=8
And a specific tutorial is here
http://www.photo2vcd.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1452
Some useful information such as tips to make slideshow awesome is
he
http://www.photo-to-dvd.com/other/po...ld-memory.html

If you have a legal version of windows XP, you can get a free program,
Microsoft Photo Story 3 for Windows XP. It can do some basic
functions. It can let you do everything windows movie maker does but
with photos.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...y/default.mspx

Hope this helps!

Old May 10th 07, 11:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
TheBreeze

"One4All" wrote in message
oups.com...
The problem is not knowing which photos will
interest these people.

Of course, they all interest *me*. It's almost impossible to separate
photos for each interest group.

Think in terms of "memories." Don't just "document" what people looked like
or where the went...go for great memories. That's the difference between a
shot showing family members in front of something, and some of those same
people enjoying that something. I'm thinking about a kid talking to Mickey
Mouse at Disneyland vs. everyone posing in front of the entrance gates.
(Although, those gates might be a good rememberance as well.)

Old May 11th 07, 02:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
One4All

On May 8, 12:50 am, Bobdddds wrote:

[...]

with photos.http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...aphy/photostor...

Hope this helps!

Bobdddds,

Thanks for your input. I'm on a Mac system, using iMovie & am happy
with it. It was a steep learning curve (for me), at first, but after
making one DVD, I can make more fairly easily, now that I understand
the software & that can be said about any software.

Actually, my difficulty relates to presenting my content, and Hick
helped me a lot. It's always a case of being sensitive to your
audience & I've had to separate what interests *me* from what my
audience will find interesting.

TheBreeze, following this, has some good observations.

David

Old May 11th 07, 03:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
One4All

On May 10, 4:16 pm, "TheBreeze" wrote:
"One4All" wrote in message

oups.com...

The problem is not knowing which photos will
interest these people.

Of course, they all interest *me*. It's almost impossible to separate
photos for each interest group.

Think in terms of "memories." Don't just "document" what people looked like
or where the went...go for great memories. That's the difference between a
shot showing family members in front of something, and some of those same
people enjoying that something. I'm thinking about a kid talking to Mickey
Mouse at Disneyland vs. everyone posing in front of the entrance gates.
(Although, those gates might be a good rememberance as well.)

Points well taken. I've come to realize there are documentary family
photos (This is how we all looked like then, when we were together.)
and family photos that show an experience, a kind of environmental
portrait & after all, isn't this what we're talking about?
Portraiture? I guess it's how that portrait is taken, whether as a
group or as an individual.

And, it gets to your audience and its sensitivity to your efforts as a
photographer, and that's where the difficulty in selecting photos
lies. You can have a great portrait of a group or person, but if the
audience doesn't care about the people in it, what's the use?
Conversely, if your photo
shows Mom & Dad standing outside the farm house in 1938, it's a
keeper, as Breeze indicated. If a photo is a technical or
compositional disaster, all bets are off.

I think the best route is to intermingle documentaries and
environmentals where possible, and above all, avoid unnecessary
repetition of portraits within a short period of time. Individual
portraits should be a year apart, unless the person is with a group
whose members have not already appeared, or unless the person is
involved in some interesting activity. Birthday parties, etc., should
have no more than four photos, if that.

Anyone putting together a program for others has to recognize viewers
are accustomed to professional TV ads and programs, which are directed
to specific audiences and that attention spans are short because of
this. It should matter that they consider it's you producing the
program, but, hey, they can't help it. Well, they can, but up to a
point.

Most of us cannot compete with the professional media. The best we can
do is present our programs as amateurs, which our audiences
understand, in a simple way that appeals to them. All the bells and
whistles will not put Humpty Dumpty together. In short, I'm finding
making DVDs for family a real *labor* of love.