Photographing children

Old October 14th 03, 09:07 PM
Jack Germsheid

Default Photographing children

Yeah Z I'm married. My wife is ten years younger than me not a
ten-year-old . My kids are 4.5 and 20 MoI find todays' tots are very
sophiticated and I'm very immersed in this world. I do get lots of
practice doing prtrait work and candid PJ stuff. 35 mm 6x6 and some 4x5.
On occasioin people actually pay me money to do family and kids ports.
I'm a stay at home dad who also works nights running my own carpet
cleaning company. Mostly corporate clients here in Calgary AB. The
carpet money is soo good (I know that may be hard to beleive but nobody
wants to do this stuff and the market bares it) Anyway I need a day job
eventually so I'm working this photo thing trying to start a higher end
studio and market to the horsey set here. I lurk here and there trying
to learn stuff and occasinally post when I feel I have something to offer.
Thats's enough about me though. So I guess consider the source in the
future.
Jack

that works in the next age group up, the 8-12's, the OP was talking about
5-8

so, ah, you married? that crackes a ten year old up...

Old October 20th 03, 03:04 AM
zeitgeist

I agree.I'm just looking at my four-year-olds pic from summer soccer
league. Every kid has cheesy unantuaral smile on their face in the group
shot and their individuals. The coach had asked me I wanted to do these
shots but I don't really want to do this end of the market. I think the
pics and the folder were five bucks or something ridiculous and of
course we bought ours. I did a bunch of action shots of my child and
others and gave the others away with my business card as a lot leader
for more formal portrait work.
JustaPawn wrote:

I find the most successful pictures (and the ones the parents enjoy the
most) are the natural, at play ones. Kids seem to develop an unnatural

approach
when they see the camera and instantly start mugging and posing.

I try and
catch them unaware.

This of course would use a few more frames and time in a price concious
job but would yeild superior results.

yes, but, as a practical business matter, lets compare the efforts to
wedding photography, you spend several hours shooting, a lot of photogs just
hand the film over, or make proofs, and nowadays burn a CD for rates ranging
from a few hundred to a few thousand bucks. how does that compare to
going to the ball park and shooting kids playing. What are the shooters
getting for candids? a couple bucks for a 3x5 or 4x6? five? more? sounds
to me like a hundred bucks would be a good take for a couple days work
(shooting, getting the prints, selling them to the parents)

Old October 21st 03, 03:59 AM
Jack Germsheid

sounds
to me like a hundred bucks would be a good take for a couple days work
(shooting, getting the prints, selling them to the parents)

Really? How about a couple hundred a day. At least for a full-time
business you'd need to make that kind of money. A part timer could
settle for less.

Old October 21st 03, 10:55 AM
McLeod

That's what he was saying, that anyone who opened that sort of business
would be working days for little money. He didn't mean he thought that
would be a good amount of money, but that about $100 bucks would be the
maximum the person could make for several days work.