Charging NiMH batteries (for Panasonic FZ20)

Old March 4th 05, 10:25 PM
Pierre Jelenc

Default Charging NiMH batteries (for Panasonic FZ20)

The charger included with the camera is supposed to charge the battery in
2 hours, then the green light goes off. Is it safe to leave the battery in
the charger at this point (for instance overnight) or must it be removed
promptly? The instructions say nothing about this.

Pierre

--
Pierre Jelenc | New on Home Office Records: Ethan Lipton
| www.homeofficerecords.com www.ethanlipton.com
The Gigometer | Pepper Of The Earth: the HO blog
www.gigometer.com | www.homeofficerecords.com/blog
Old March 5th 05, 12:09 AM
David J Taylor

Pierre Jelenc wrote:
The charger included with the camera is supposed to charge the
battery in 2 hours, then the green light goes off. Is it safe to
leave the battery in the charger at this point (for instance
overnight) or must it be removed promptly? The instructions say
nothing about this.

Pierre

I would imagine so, and would leave the charger overnight myself.
However, that isn't the definitive answer you want. By the way: it's a
Lithium Ion battery, I think, not NiMH.

David

Old March 5th 05, 12:34 AM
Sheldon

It all depends on how the charger works. Some you have to remove it. Some
you can leave it in there forever. I would call the manufacturer and ask.

Old March 5th 05, 05:37 AM
S Boy

The battery included with FZ20 is Lithium Ion battery.
It is safe to leave a fully charged battery in the charger overnight as
the charger stopped charging current once the battery was fully
charged. But I have to remind you that discharge would happen when the
charge finished. I greatly recommend you remove battery to minimize
discharge as low as possible.

Hope it helps

S Boy

Old March 5th 05, 12:56 PM
Martin

A good charger will automatically drop the charging current to a "trickle
charge" level once the battery has been fully charged. This just keeps the
battery at a full charge level. I use a Maha charger that works that way
and have left NiMH batteries in it (while still plugged in) for days without
any problems. If the instructions don't indicate whether this is the way
your charger works, call the manufacturer as suggested.

Old March 5th 05, 06:54 PM
Pierre Jelenc

S Boy writes:
The battery included with FZ20 is Lithium Ion battery.

Indeed. I got carried away...

It is safe to leave a fully charged battery in the charger overnight as
the charger stopped charging current once the battery was fully
charged. But I have to remind you that discharge would happen when the
charge finished. I greatly recommend you remove battery to minimize
discharge as low as possible.

OK, thanks. As long as no damage ensues, that's the most important.

Now, I have another question: the Panasonic battery charged fine and
performed well last night. However, the extra battery I bought, "Merkury
MI-S002" does not get charged. When I place it in the charger, it feels
very subtly smaller, in that it falls into place with the merest nudge,
instead of having to be snapped down the way the Panasonic needs to be.
The tell-tale green light never lights up.

Its label says "for Panasonic CGR-S002" while the Panasonic one advertises
itself as "CGA-S002A". Was I sold the wrong battery? I can easily imagine
the "CGR" to be a misprint for "CGA" because the font they use is rather
contorted, but is "S002A" different from "S002"?

Pierre
Old March 6th 05, 12:25 AM
Sheldon

I almost always buy OEM batteries when it comes to Lithium Ion. The price
generally isn't that much more, and I've had less problems with them. Too
bad they don't standardize Lithium Ion batteries like AA, AAA, etc. Every
one is a different size for each product, and you need a different charger
for each product.

Old March 6th 05, 07:16 AM
Pierre Jelenc

irwell writes:

What is the voltage and amp rating printed on the battery.
Should be 7.2volts and 680mAh.

7.4 V and 800 mAh

Pierre
Old March 6th 05, 08:49 AM
Ron Hunter

Pierre Jelenc wrote:
The charger included with the camera is supposed to charge the battery in
2 hours, then the green light goes off. Is it safe to leave the battery in
the charger at this point (for instance overnight) or must it be removed
promptly? The instructions say nothing about this.

Pierre

The information you need should be in the user manual (yeah, I know, who
reads those things...). If it doesn't spell out the information, call
and ask. Generally, chargers will reduce the charge to a very low
'maintenance charge' after the battery becomes charged. Some chargers,
such as those for cameras with 'docks', are designed to have the camera
mounted for long periods, and will periodically 'top off' the batteries.

--
Ron Hunter