Pentax Optio S30 - thoughts?

Old October 27th 04, 05:49 PM
Nostrobino

Default Pentax Optio S30 - thoughts?

"Wapenga" wrote in message
om...
Hi

I'm looking to get a very small and cheapish digital just for
snapshots and carrying around in my pocket for any opportunities.

I like the Powershot A75 but it's too big for such uses.

Good prices on the Pentax Optio S30 here in the UK right now. About
130 pounds.

Is it a good 'un? What are the manual exposure control options like?

My brother has an Optio S and it's perfectly sized. But I hear the S30
is very slow between shots.

Dunno about the Optio S30; here in the U.S. it appears to be a discontinued
model (S40 and S50 are the current models). I have the Optio S4i and it is
noticeably slow at processing the shot at maximum resolution and highest
quality. At standard quality it's somewhat faster of course, still takes
maybe two or three seconds. There's also a continuous shooting mode, looks
like about one second per shot (max res, standard quality), though I never
actually timed any of these. Not an issue for me in any case. I would guess
that the S30 and all S series models would be fairly similar as far as
processing speed is concerned.

N.

All help much appreciated.

Cheers

Paul

Old October 28th 04, 12:23 AM
BJ

The Optio 30 (I don't know about the S) is also a bit slow even in cts mode.
It doesn't seem to cache images and writes them directly. The mode that does
4 frames in one shot is much faster but you get reduced size of each
individual shot and the resolution is also limited.

"Nostrobino" wrote in message
om...