Agitation - not the verbal kind :~)

Old September 28th 04, 04:39 PM
John Bartley

Default Agitation - not the verbal kind :~)

Hi all,

Sort of a silly question but .... I've been wondering what sort of
agitation is required in the various baths after the (first) developer.
For the purposes of this question, lets assume that I've been using
trays, and I've been using a continuous very gentle agitation in all of
the trays. Is agitation required in just the developer? Can I use
intermittent agitation in everything after the developer? Can I turn the
emulsion face up and use no agitation after the developer? I haven't
been able to search out an answer on our wonderful WWW to these
questions. What are your various personal experiences?

cheers and thank you

--
regards from ::

John Bartley
43 Norway Spruce Street
Stittsville, Ontario
Canada, K2S1P5

( If you slow down it takes longer
- does that apply to life also?)
Old September 28th 04, 07:35 PM
Nick Zentena

John Bartley wrote:
Hi all,

Sort of a silly question but .... I've been wondering what sort of
agitation is required in the various baths after the (first) developer.
For the purposes of this question, lets assume that I've been using
trays, and I've been using a continuous very gentle agitation in all of
the trays. Is agitation required in just the developer? Can I use
intermittent agitation in everything after the developer? Can I turn the
emulsion face up and use no agitation after the developer? I haven't
been able to search out an answer on our wonderful WWW to these
questions. What are your various personal experiences?

It's better to agiate. It'll bring fresh chemicals to the surface of the
sheet. I guess you could use longer times and avoid any agitation but it's
better to agite at least some what.

Nick

Old September 28th 04, 10:27 PM
Uranium Committee

John Bartley wrote in message ...
[...]

What are you talking about? B&W paper in trays? Sheet film? What?
Old September 29th 04, 12:16 AM
John Bartley

Nick Zentena wrote:

It's better to agiate. It'll bring fresh chemicals to the surface of the
sheet. I guess you could use longer times and avoid any agitation but it's
better to agite at least some what.

Nick

Hi Nick,

I guess from the point of view that "what else is there to do in the
darkroom while you're developing film", I may as well agitate them as
not. Part of the reason for the question is that I just tried it with
agitation only in the "A" bath (two bath developer) and in the stop
bath, and they turned out very nicely to my amateur eye, but I was
wondering if this might have been a fluke.

cheers and thank you

Old September 29th 04, 12:24 AM
John Bartley

Uranium Committee wrote:

What are you talking about? B&W paper in trays? Sheet film? What?

My apologies for the incomplete explanation in my question. I am
developing Ilford FP4+ 4" x 5" B&W film in trays (I think I did say
trays). I am also very new to this and still learning, so that should
suffice as a reason for me posting such a silly question.

I must say that your very short, curt reply to my question borders on
being very rude. You may want to work a bit on your "how to communicate
pleasantly with people" skills. Recently, out of some morbid curiosity,
I did some web searches on a guy named "Scarpitti", to see if he was as
much of a rude arrogant dweeb as the folks on this and other newgroups
say he is. From the "contributions" that he has made on the various
forums that I researched, I would say that they are right. Your posts
remind me a lot of his.

cheers

Old September 29th 04, 12:40 AM
Michael A. Covington

Every process after the first developer goes to completion, so agitation is
not nearly as critical, as long as there's enough of it.

Old September 29th 04, 01:38 AM
Frank Pittel

John Bartley wrote:
: Uranium Committee wrote:

: What are you talking about? B&W paper in trays? Sheet film? What?
:
:

: My apologies for the incomplete explanation in my question. I am
: developing Ilford FP4+ 4" x 5" B&W film in trays (I think I did say
: trays). I am also very new to this and still learning, so that should
: suffice as a reason for me posting such a silly question.

: I must say that your very short, curt reply to my question borders on
: being very rude. You may want to work a bit on your "how to communicate
: pleasantly with people" skills. Recently, out of some morbid curiosity,
: I did some web searches on a guy named "Scarpitti", to see if he was as
: much of a rude arrogant dweeb as the folks on this and other newgroups
: say he is. From the "contributions" that he has made on the various
: forums that I researched, I would say that they are right. Your posts
: remind me a lot of his.

He is scarpitti.

-------------------

Old September 29th 04, 01:00 PM
Donald Qualls

John Bartley wrote:

Hi all,

Sort of a silly question but .... I've been wondering what sort of
agitation is required in the various baths after the (first) developer.
For the purposes of this question, lets assume that I've been using
trays, and I've been using a continuous very gentle agitation in all of
the trays. Is agitation required in just the developer? Can I use
intermittent agitation in everything after the developer? Can I turn the
emulsion face up and use no agitation after the developer? I haven't
been able to search out an answer on our wonderful WWW to these
questions. What are your various personal experiences?

I haven't done tray development, but in a daylight tank I use continuous
agitation in the stop bath (whether water or acid stop), on the
reasoning that this will stop development more quickly and evenly than
any other method.

I agitate the fixer the same as developer. Many people use continuous
agitation for fixer, but since I test clearing time with no agitation, I
feel safe using intermittent agitation for twice my tested clearing
time; my negatives are well cleared and free from the purple/pink dye
common with current Kodak film stocks.

--
I may be a scwewy wabbit, but I'm not going to Alcatwaz!
-- E. J. Fudd, 1954

Donald Qualls, aka The Silent Observer
Lathe Building Pages http://silent1.home.netcom.com/HomebuiltLathe.htm
Speedway 7x12 Lathe Pages http://silent1.home.netcom.com/my7x12.htm