Why I dislike Canon

Old November 1st 09, 08:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Why I dislike Canon

On 2009-11-01 12:22:32 -0800, John McWilliams said:

Chris H wrote:
In message , John McWilliams
writes

Samsung HD tv's
Lowe Pro cases
Lightroom

Can't argue with those.

iPhone

Not sure about that... There are lots of phones equal (or better) to the
iPhone

Other than whinging about carriers or a few bucks, what phone is
better, and why???

Any darn phone and service which will work where I live is better.
AT&T certainly doesn't have adequate coverage and does not include much
of the California Central Coast. That makes an iPhone nothing more than
an expensive iPod Touch for me.
I am using a Samsung Omnia and Verizon. I have full web browsing
capability and email works just fine.
....and I have had no coverage issues.

Note: Digital SLRs and compact; both are necessary for optimum photo taking.
No other combination makes any sense at all.

True though for "compact" you can use a phone these days. I think the
entry and medium level P&S will die out due to the phone.

Indeed, and the iPhone is perfect. It also maps the GPS data, and
Lightroom will open Google maps to the spot if you want.

The iPhone may be perfect for you, but it is still a compromise camera.

Yup, LR will direct to GPS coordinates in Google Maps as will Preview
on all Macs.

Savageduck

Old November 2nd 09, 08:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Chris H

In message , Larry Thong
writes
Chris H wrote:

Note: Digital SLRs and compact; both are necessary for optimum photo taking.
No other combination makes any sense at all.

True though for "compact" you can use a phone these days. I think
the
entry and medium level P&S will die out due to the phone.

Not likely.

Why? From what I have seen at an 18th party and a street dance group I
know they all use their phones and none of them own a P&S. Lots of
pictures being taken but all on their phones.

As the new phones have 6-8MP cameras they can turn out pictures that are
"passable" for 90% of their users. You only have to see what they load
on to Facebook. In fact I have not seen anyone using a P&S in some time
they are all using their phones.

The serious medium to high end P&S will continue for a while but I cant
see a market for the entry level P&S as in Europe everyone over the age
of 10 has a mobile with a camera in it. Also the phones are free but
y0u have to buy the P&S camera.

Why own a separate camera that is bigger than the one you have (ie the
phone), no better and costs money. Also with your phone you can send
photos to mates & face book which you can't with a P&S without going
home and connecting it to a PC.

Old November 2nd 09, 08:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Chris H

In message , John McWilliams
writes
Chris H wrote:
In message , John McWilliams
writes

Samsung HD tv's
Lowe Pro cases
Lightroom

Can't argue with those.

iPhone

Not sure about that... There are lots of phones equal (or better) to the
iPhone

Other than whinging about carriers or a few bucks, what phone is
better, and why???

I have a nokia 5800 which seem to look similar and have similar
performance also a magazines I saw in passing (Gadget? ) did a review of
several phones along side the iPhone and they all came out similar. The
iPhone did not win either I( think an LG phone did.

Note: Digital SLRs and compact; both are necessary for optimum photo
taking.
No other combination makes any sense at all.

True though for "compact" you can use a phone these days. I think
the
entry and medium level P&S will die out due to the phone.

Indeed, and the iPhone is perfect. It also maps the GPS data, and
Lightroom will open Google maps to the spot if you want.

However virtually every other mobile phone had as a cameral and is "good
enough" for the users most of whom a few years ago would have bought a
P&S.

I have had to spend time with late teens and early 20's recently and
none of them has a P&S they all use their phones.

Old November 2nd 09, 09:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
You've got to be kidding.

On Mon, 2 Nov 2009 08:45:05 +0000, Chris H wrote:

In message , Larry Thong
writes
Chris H wrote:

[...]

Show me a cell-phone with a 9mm f.2.7 to 735mm f.3.5 zoom lens on it. That
is precisely the range on my last P&S camera with only 2 pocketable (and
excellent) accessory lenses for it. Contrary to the opinions of
inexperienced DSLR-Trolls.

I've never found a need for a cell-phone since their inception. In fact
I've never even dialed-out on one nor listened to another person on one.
Though I have helped others to decipher their cell-phones' menu systems in
order to teach them how to use a bluetooth headset.

In order to take photographs that nobody has ever seen before it requires
traveling to remote areas where the whole idea of a cell-phone would be
laughable. Hell, people can't even use a cell-phone where I'm typing from
right now. No service. Some of the more insecure types get a little
restless when they find out they can't phone-home when visiting.

Thus the ignorance of useless city-boy facebooking snapshooter trolls.

Old November 2nd 09, 09:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Chris H

In message , You've got to
be kidding. writes

Chris H wrote:

[...]

You don't understand. 99.999% of P&S users would not have a clue what
you are talking about. It is irrelevant. If it does not fit in the zoom
they move as long as it does not start a fight.

I've never found a need for a cell-phone since their inception. In fact
I've never even dialed-out on one nor listened to another person on one.

SO you are not in tune with modern society yet you think your opinion is
valid? Most of the places where mobile phones are not used and either
in primitive villages or places where they use stat-phones or radios.
However the population of these places would not add up to enough
(globally) to support a P&S market.

In order to take photographs that nobody has ever seen before it requires
traveling to remote areas

Complete crap. It just requires imagination and "an eye for a picture"

where the whole idea of a cell-phone would be
laughable. Hell, people can't even use a cell-phone where I'm typing from
right now.

Are you in an institution of some sort?

Well we got the picture that you are not connected to the rest of the
world.

No service. Some of the more insecure types get a little
restless when they find out they can't phone-home when visiting.

A camera phone does not need a phone signal to take photos.

Thus the ignorance of useless city-boy facebooking snapshooter trolls.

The vast majority of P&S camera users live in areas served by mobile
phones. It is only is a few 3rd world countries that don't have 95%
population mobile phone coverage.

I quite understand that you and perhaps 10,000 others want P&S cameras
but have no mobile phone signal (or don't want a mobile phone) but as
the P&S makes want runs of 100,000 cameras at a time as I said the
market will disappear.

The number of people like you is so very very small that it can not
sustain a P&S market (unless you all buy 10 cameras a year)

so the entry level and mid range P&S will die out as 80% (and rising)
of the current market is using it's mobile phones.

Pro photographers will want the high end S&P because they are compact
and better than their phone. The rest will be happy with the "passable"
phone pictures.

BTW I don't like Facebook but the masses do and it is mass population
who could not give a toss about
9mm f.2.7 to 735mm f.3.5 zoom lens

who are the market for the P&S cameras and mobile phones.

Technically you may be right but that has no bearing on mass perception
and marketing. The entry level and mid range P&S market will be dead by
the end of 2010.

Old November 2nd 09, 02:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
rwalker

On Sun, 01 Nov 2009 09:24:46 -0800, John McWilliams
wrote:

snip

The one true and righteous path is:

Canon cameras and lenses
Epson pro printer
Macintosh Intel computers
Samsung HD tv's
Lowe Pro cases
Lightroom
iPhone

Note: Digital SLRs and compact; both are necessary for optimum photo taking.
No other combination makes any sense at all.

Well, any way you look at it, I'm on the highway to hell. Canon
camera, Canon printer, Windows.
Old November 2nd 09, 04:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John McWilliams

Chris H wrote:
In message , John McWilliams
writes
Chris H wrote:

Not sure about that... There are lots of phones equal (or better) to the
iPhone

Other than whinging about carriers or a few bucks, what phone is
better, and why???

I have a nokia 5800 which seem to look similar and have similar
performance also a magazines I saw in passing (Gadget? ) did a review of
several phones along side the iPhone and they all came out similar. The
iPhone did not win either I( think an LG phone did.

C'mon! Based on some unknown magazine's "review", read /en passant/, you
can make any conclusion?? You have no idea of what criteria (if any!)
were used.

Indeed, and the iPhone is perfect. It also maps the GPS data, and
Lightroom will open Google maps to the spot if you want.

However virtually every other mobile phone had as a cameral and is "good
enough" for the users most of whom a few years ago would have bought a
P&S.

I have had to spend time with late teens and early 20's recently and
none of them has a P&S they all use their phones.

Yes, on this latter point. Regardless of what the pest says, the market
place answers this question. It doesn't matter what any of us thinks is
right or where we think it's going.

--
John McWilliams
Old November 2nd 09, 04:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John McWilliams

wrote:

snip

The one true and righteous path is:

Canon cameras and lenses
Epson pro printer
Macintosh Intel computers
Samsung HD tv's
Lowe Pro cases
Lightroom
iPhone

Note: Digital SLRs and compact; both are necessary for optimum photo taking.
No other combination makes any sense at all.

Well, any way you look at it, I'm on the highway to hell. Canon
camera, Canon printer, Windows.

Not to worry, my son. There is redemption. Get the to the marketplace
and right these wrongs!

Actually, Canon printers on Windows might be all right. Mac printer
drivers for Canons used to such, dunno about today.

--
john mcwilliams
Old November 2nd 09, 06:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
rwalker

wrote:

snip

The one true and righteous path is:

Canon cameras and lenses
Epson pro printer
Macintosh Intel computers
Samsung HD tv's
Lowe Pro cases
Lightroom
iPhone

Note: Digital SLRs and compact; both are necessary for optimum photo taking.
No other combination makes any sense at all.

Well, any way you look at it, I'm on the highway to hell. Canon
camera, Canon printer, Windows.

Not to worry, my son. There is redemption. Get the to the marketplace
and right these wrongs!

Actually, Canon printers on Windows might be all right. Mac printer
drivers for Canons used to such, dunno about today.

I haven't had any problems with the printer drivers. However, I am
considering getting an Epson printer with pigment inks.