Fuji S6500

Old August 3rd 07, 11:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Greenbrightly

Default Fuji S6500

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could share some opinions on this camera?
I'm considering buying one as I quite like the look and feel and also
the spec.

Thanks.

Neil

Old August 4th 07, 01:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 03:58:35 -0700, Greenbrightly wrote:

I was wondering if anyone could share some opinions on this camera?
I'm considering buying one as I quite like the look and feel and also
the spec.

The S6000fd/S6500fb is a very nice, reasonably priced camera. I
haven't used one but I'm pretty sure that it's quite a bit better
than my similar, smaller, older, 4mp Fuji S5100/S5600 which has been
a very good performer. DPReview said :

It's only when you look at these 'real world' crops that the real
advantage of the Super CCD sensor used in the S6000fd is obvious.
With all small CCD compacts we see serious smearing of low
contrast detail at ISO 200 (sometimes even lower), but the S6000fd
manages to keep plenty of texture at ISO 400, and even ISO 800 and
1600 haven't smeared it all away (in fact the noise reduction at 800
and 1600 appears to be very similar; you just get more noise at 1600).
ISO 3200 is, to put it politely, rather light on detail, and you're
certainly not getting the claimed 'full resolution' ISO 3200 output.
Still, it's better than anything else on the market...

Although the S6000fd's output has a little of the classic 'Super CCD'
artefacts look to it and is a touch over-sharpened, there's no denying
that it is outperforming the Sony [the DSC-H2] - which is fairly
representative of the other 6MP super zooms on the market - by a
considerable margin. Edge-to-edge detail is excellent, colors bright
but natural and contrast excellent. It's interesting to note that the
S6000fd actually produces output that actually looks better at 100%
(as here) than the S9000 we tested last year (which has the same lens).
Comparing the results would seem to suggest that the lens itself is the
limiting factor; it works brilliantly with this 6MP sensor, whereas the
S9000's 9MP sensor is simply asking too much of it.

More of the same really; the S6500fd's output is starting to show signs of
breaking down, but compared to the H2 it looks clean, clear and detailed.
Just like the F30, the S6500fd's output at ISO 800 is considerably better
than most of its competitors manage at ISO 400 - and some at ISO 200.
To have a small-sensor camera capable of producing results that are
perfectly usable at ISO 800 is a luxury we have rarely seen before, and
something for which Fuji must be congratulated.

Comparison cameras:

* Fujifilm FinePix S6000fd / S6500fd (6 MP, 10.7x zoom)
* Sony DSC-H2 (6 MP, 12x zoom)
* Canon PowerShot S3 IS (6 MP, 12x zoom)
* Panasonic DMC-FZ7 (6 MP, 12 x zoom)

Shots here are of our standard resolution chart (version one or two).
This chart allows us to measure the actual performance of the lens
and sensor system. It measures the ability of the camera to resolve
lines at gradually higher resolutions and enables us to provide a
definitive value for comparison purposes.

here, the S6500 clearly produced more detail than the other
cameras tested, and DPReview added :

Although the JPEGs are a bit over-sharpened, and they don't quite
match the F30, the S6500fd sets a new standard for resolution in a
6MP 'super zoom' camera, and out-performs cameras with one or
even two million more pixels. There's little, if any moiré and only the
merest hint of jagginess on 45 degree diagonals, and overall you can't
fail to be impressed with a camera that really does squeeze the
maximum detail out of 6 million pixels, across the frame.

and from the Conclusion page :
* Excellent resolution & sharpness
* Very good results up to ISO 400, ISO 800 perfectly usable
* Class-leading high ISO performance; might not be fantastic,
but it's the best you'll get
* Very low shutter lag
* Comprehensive photographic controls
* Excellent battery life
* Highly versatile 28-300mm zoom range
* Low distortion lens with excellent edge-to-edge performance
* Good flash performance
* Decent movie mode, can zoom whilst filming
* CCD-raw mode and decent raw conversion utility
* Fairly fast focus (especially towards the wide end of the zoom range)
* AF illuminator
* Fast, effective face detection system (bit of a novelty for the serious user)
* Large clear screen
* Threaded lens for optional wide / tele convertors
* Good value for money

I must admit I didn't really know what to expect from the S6000fd
(having used some of its predecessors), and I was pleasantly surprised
to find it was a well designed, well executed and surprisingly versatile
photographic tool. It's probably not the best 'point and shoot' model
in its class (you'll get better results if you know what you're doing),
but the combination of features, output and unusually able high ISO
performance means that - whilst far from perfect - it can easily hold
its own against some of it's more 'high profile' competitors.

The full review starts at :

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilms6000fd/

Old August 4th 07, 05:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
AAvK

"Greenbrightly" wrote in message ps.com...
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could share some opinions on this camera?
I'm considering buying one as I quite like the look and feel and also
the spec.

Thanks.

Neil

I did my research on the review sites and bought one, mine is the same as the
s6500 but it is the s6000fd US version. I am definitely happy I did! It is really
quite a camera for the money. At the time, there was a $50 rebate, took advantage
no problem.

It is a very solid performer, color, sharpness and detail are incredible, at least in
comparison to my first, the Nikon e950 of '99. It is not an action camera in raw
mode (6-9 seconds between shots), but it can be in high jpeg mode. It operates
super cleanly and solidly, they did a great job writing it's OS, which is easy to
follow (very), but it needs a few innovative features, which would be possible.

It can be very well used as an artistic camera and a family one, though it is the
size and weight of a small D-SLR (my hands are BIG!). The 28mm wide is very
nice but the 300mm is not really enough, and it's up coming replacement (s8000fd)
will have a longer lens (under 500mm) but a smaller CCD. It is always: the size
of the taking element, whether film or chip, decides not only the numbers of focal
length, but as well the size of the whole lens. With CCD sizes and film frame sizes...

the_larger_the_better.

But, price for quality is a high value with this camera. Just two months ago the count
of images on www.pbase.com by the s6000fd was just over 3,000 - now it is up over
5,000! You take a look there.

There are some things any thinking photog would want with this maching, but for the
money... it's quite good. Also consider the s9500.

--
})))* Giant_Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com