What Happened to Amazon? Their web site comes back with "Http/1.1Service Unavailable"

Old June 6th 08, 07:19 PM posted to misc.consumers,rec.photo.digital
SMS

Default What Happened to Amazon? Their web site comes back with "Http/1.1Service Unavailable"

What Happened to Amazon?

Their web site comes back with "Http/1.1 Service Unavailable"

Are they still in business?
Old June 6th 08, 07:35 PM posted to misc.consumers,rec.photo.digital
Paul Allen

On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 11:19:29 -0700, SMS wrote:

What Happened to Amazon?

Their web site comes back with "Http/1.1 Service Unavailable"

Are they still in business?

Wow. At 11:32am, Pacific Time, they're still offline. I wonder
how many billion dollars they lose for each minute they're down?
Some poor Unix admin's sweating right now. :-(

Paul Allen
Old June 6th 08, 07:45 PM posted to misc.consumers,rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Paul Allen wrote:
On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 11:19:29 -0700, SMS wrote:

What Happened to Amazon?

Their web site comes back with "Http/1.1 Service Unavailable"

Are they still in business?

Wow. At 11:32am, Pacific Time, they're still offline. I wonder
how many billion dollars they lose for each minute they're down?
Some poor Unix admin's sweating right now. :-(

Paul Allen

They were OK earlier today ... I ordered a CD, two books, and a screwdriver.

Doug McDonald
Old June 6th 08, 08:06 PM posted to misc.consumers,rec.photo.digital
SMS

BobW wrote:
"SMS" wrote in message
What Happened to Amazon?

Their web site comes back with "Http/1.1 Service Unavailable"

Are they still in business?

I just got the same thing. Very odd.

Their Canadian site is still up, "http://www.amazon.ca/".
Old June 6th 08, 08:47 PM posted to misc.consumers,rec.photo.digital
Dave Platt

In article ,
BobW wrote:

I just got the same thing. Very odd.

I used to work for a very large company ($4B/yr sales). One year, they
forgot to pay the fee to maintain their domain name. They nearly lost it.
Maybe that's what happened to Amazon.

Their domain registration is valid until 2017. I think they've
learned better by studying other peoples' mistakes.

There's a report at CNET.COM that they've been having server problems
for much of this morning, and they still appear to at least partially
down. The www.amazon.com hostname has a 60-second DNS timeout, which
suggests that they've deliberately pointed it to a dummy server and
can switch it back promptly once they've picked the scrambled eggs up
off of the floor.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Old June 6th 08, 09:46 PM posted to misc.consumers,rec.photo.digital
just bob[_2_]

Seems to be working (now)

Old June 6th 08, 10:13 PM posted to misc.consumers,rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

BobW wrote:

Hmmm...I have a theory -- they have a bug in their software such that if
someone orders the combination of a CD, two books, and a screwdriver then it
takes down their website.

Let me know what I've won.

A dinner with Alexander Abian.

In 1973 I had, for two days, the secret formula for crashing the ENTIRE
INTERNET (Arpanet). It happened twice before the coders figured out what the bug was
in their code. Such were the early days.

Doug McDonald

Old June 6th 08, 10:37 PM posted to misc.consumers,rec.photo.digital
The Bobert

In article ,
"BobW" wrote:

Hmmm...I have a theory -- they have a bug in their software such that if
someone orders the combination of a CD, two books, and a screwdriver then it
takes down their website.

Let me know what I've won.

Bob

You get the No-Prize for the day.

--

The 5 food groups:
Chocolate, Coffee, Pizza, Quick and Easy

Bob in Central California
Old June 7th 08, 12:03 AM posted to misc.consumers,rec.photo.digital
Neil Harrington

SMS wrote:
What Happened to Amazon?

Their web site comes back with "Http/1.1 Service Unavailable"

Are they still in business?

I got that earlier too, but they're up and OK now.

Old June 7th 08, 12:20 AM posted to misc.consumers,rec.photo.digital
Blinky the Shark

BobW wrote:

"SMS" wrote in message
What Happened to Amazon?

Their web site comes back with "Http/1.1 Service Unavailable"

Are they still in business?

I just got the same thing. Very odd.

I used to work for a very large company ($4B/yr sales). One year, they
forgot to pay the fee to maintain their domain name. They nearly lost it.
Maybe that's what happened to Amazon.

Their domain registration is paid up until 31-oct-2017.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups