Candid photography?

Old January 23rd 08, 12:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
/\\BratMan/\\

Default Candid photography?

If he was taking photographs "in a covert manner", how did "members of the
public" know he was?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/humber/7202847.stm

Old January 23rd 08, 12:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Heslop

/\\BratMan/\\ wrote:

If he was taking photographs "in a covert manner", how did "members of the
public" know he was?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/humber/7202847.stm

they stressed the fact a few times and as they stand by it I am
assuming, and that's all we can do from the details given, that he was
not making an obvious show of his photography, probably so he wouldn't
get an obvious camera reaction from the people he was taking pics of.

On the other hand I once saw a guy who had a small camera on a fob
thing round his neck, looked like one of those webcams you can use as
a cheap camera and it was obvious to me that he was taking pics
without other peoples' knowledge, just occasionally clicking the cam
without raising it to his face. I know he made me feel uneasy , enough
to watch him for a while but he drifted away before I could decide how
to tackle this if I thought he was being too underhand. The fact that
I still recall it a couple of years later I'd say he did make an
impact and that he was certainly acting 'in a covert manner'.

--
Paul (We won't die of devotion)
Stop and Look
Old January 23rd 08, 08:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Fred

"Paul Heslop" wrote in message
/\\BratMan/\\ wrote:

[...]

Are we now going to arrest all TV cameremen that act in a "covert manner",
every time they're filmiing news reports with unsuspecting members of the
public in the background, I think not.

This has been a normal practice in photography for decades, and if we're all
going to start getting paranoid and suspicious of anyone with a camera in a
public place, we'll just end up the way America is now.

I couldn't believe the paranoia of some 'jobs worth' officials on recent
trips to America, where I was accosted on various occasions for taking quite
innocent photographs.

Old January 23rd 08, 10:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_5_]

Fred wrote:
[]
I couldn't believe the paranoia of some 'jobs worth' officials on
recent trips to America, where I was accosted on various occasions
for taking quite innocent photographs.

One more reason I no longer have any desire to visit the USA.

David

Old January 23rd 08, 11:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Cynicor[_3_]

David J Taylor wrote:
Fred wrote:
[]
I couldn't believe the paranoia of some 'jobs worth' officials on
recent trips to America, where I was accosted on various occasions
for taking quite innocent photographs.

One more reason I no longer have any desire to visit the USA.

But...you can purchase cheap blue jeans for your family here.
Old January 23rd 08, 12:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Heslop

/\\BratMan/\\ wrote:

[...]

I know where you're coming from, but this one guy really was acting
sus, his manner was without doubt underhand. I've been on the
receiving end of some nasty looks and even comments when taking
pictures in public areas so I know how annoying it is. As for TV
cameras they should expect to be stopped if they are acting in a
suspicious manner, just like anyone else.

Old January 23rd 08, 01:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Fred

"Paul Heslop" wrote in message
Cynicor wrote:

David J Taylor wrote:
Fred wrote:
[]
I couldn't believe the paranoia of some 'jobs worth' officials on
recent trips to America, where I was accosted on various occasions
for taking quite innocent photographs.

One more reason I no longer have any desire to visit the USA.

But...you can purchase cheap blue jeans for your family here.

:O)

I did, three pairs of Levis!

All I've got to do now is make sure I don't put on any more weight!!!!!

)

Old January 23rd 08, 03:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 10:27:26 GMT, "David J Taylor"
wrote:

Fred wrote:
[]
I couldn't believe the paranoia of some 'jobs worth' officials on
recent trips to America, where I was accosted on various occasions
for taking quite innocent photographs.

One more reason I no longer have any desire to visit the USA.

You didn't notice that the article cited in the thread was set in the
UK?

--

Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old January 23rd 08, 03:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Heslop

Fred wrote:

"Paul Heslop" wrote in message
Cynicor wrote:

David J Taylor wrote:
Fred wrote:
[]
I couldn't believe the paranoia of some 'jobs worth' officials on
recent trips to America, where I was accosted on various occasions
for taking quite innocent photographs.

One more reason I no longer have any desire to visit the USA.

But...you can purchase cheap blue jeans for your family here.

:O)

I did, three pairs of Levis!

All I've got to do now is make sure I don't put on any more weight!!!!!

)

shhhh, I have to fool my bottoms by sneaking up on them slowly while
holding up a picture of someone much slimmer, then leaping on them
before they realise what's happened!