Lag after shot is taken

Old July 8th 06, 06:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
02befree

Default Lag after shot is taken

I've Googled and found partial answers to this question.
I have a Canon PowerShot A530 using a 1GB SD Kingston card shooting at high
res. settings using the Auto setting most of the time.
The initial shutter lag is not a problem, it's fast enough for me. But,
after the picture is taken, the LCD goes blank for a couple of seconds and
makes it difficult to take another shot before my 2 year old loses her cute
pose. Do I need a faster type of memory card?
My PowerShot A70 never had a problem with this and I almost like using it
better.
Thanks

Old July 8th 06, 06:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
rhys sage

Check your settings. It could be the card. It could be the camera or it
could be the settings.

Old July 8th 06, 07:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
y_p_w

02befree wrote:
I've Googled and found partial answers to this question.
I have a Canon PowerShot A530 using a 1GB SD Kingston card shooting at high
res. settings using the Auto setting most of the time.
The initial shutter lag is not a problem, it's fast enough for me. But,
after the picture is taken, the LCD goes blank for a couple of seconds and
makes it difficult to take another shot before my 2 year old loses her cute
pose. Do I need a faster type of memory card?
My PowerShot A70 never had a problem with this and I almost like using it
better.
Thanks

It sounds like you've got the review display set to "OFF".
The screen will go blank for about second rather than
display the shot for 3+ seconds.

I doubt it's the memory card speed.

Just take the picture. I tried it on an A520 in auto mode
w/o flash. It does have a lag. What you really need is
burst mode, which isn't a possibility in auto mode.

Try aperture mode (Av on the dial). On function, scroll
down to the "box" symbol and select the item that looks
like three boxes, which is burst mode. You'll be able
to get off your next shot really quickly.
Old July 9th 06, 02:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

02befree wrote:
I've Googled and found partial answers to this question.
I have a Canon PowerShot A530 using a 1GB SD Kingston card shooting at high
res. settings using the Auto setting most of the time.
The initial shutter lag is not a problem, it's fast enough for me. But,
after the picture is taken, the LCD goes blank for a couple of seconds and
makes it difficult to take another shot before my 2 year old loses her cute
pose. Do I need a faster type of memory card?
My PowerShot A70 never had a problem with this and I almost like using it
better.
Thanks

Apart from the other replies, some cameras also blank the screen when
under load, eg when the flash is recharging, and that will be worse if
the batteries are low..

Old July 9th 06, 09:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

02befree wrote:
I've Googled and found partial answers to this question.
I have a Canon PowerShot A530 using a 1GB SD Kingston card shooting at high
res. settings using the Auto setting most of the time.
The initial shutter lag is not a problem, it's fast enough for me. But,
after the picture is taken, the LCD goes blank for a couple of seconds and
makes it difficult to take another shot before my 2 year old loses her cute
pose. Do I need a faster type of memory card?
My PowerShot A70 never had a problem with this and I almost like using it
better.
Thanks

That blanking period is when the camera is processing the picture
internally. Some cameras have adequate internal ram, and processor
speed, to take another picture, even when this is going on. Some don't.
Also, some cameras have a 'burst mode' which will shoot several
pictures with one shutter depression. Check your manual to see if your
camera has either feature. BTW, that LCD is for review of your
pictures, and for closeup mode, NOT for general picture-taking. You
will find your batteries last a lot longer if you shut it off and use
the viewfinder!
Old July 9th 06, 05:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
y_p_w

Ron Hunter wrote:

02befree wrote:

[...]

A Canon A530 probably doesn't really have that problem. In
"single shot" mode, it slows down to try to "recompose" the
next shot. The "processing" time of the previous shot is
negligible. It's "blanking" because the OP has the review
turned off. If the review was turned on, the last picture
should be displayed. What's on (or not on) the screen has
little to do with how fast the next picture can be taken.
I set an A520 to 10 sec review. As long as I don't press
the shutter, the previous image stays there. If I press
the shutter, it stops the review and goes back into picture
taking mode on the screen.

Also, some cameras have a 'burst mode' which will shoot several
pictures with one shutter depression. Check your manual to see if your
camera has either feature.

I've used Canon cameras with burst mode, and it does more
than allow multiple shots with one shutter press. It also
enables quicker consecutive shots with multiple shutter
presses. It will sacrifice "recomposition" by reusing as
much of the first shot's settings as possible. Sometimes the
bursted shots are slightly out of focus or slightly under-
or overexposed, but you can get off that shot before the
subject changes.

BTW, that LCD is for review of your
pictures, and for closeup mode, NOT for general picture-taking. You
will find your batteries last a lot longer if you shut it off and use
the viewfinder!

This isn't true for every camera, especially those with
electronic viewfinders. The rated shots on a single
battery for something like a Canon PowerShot S3 IS is only
marginally higher if the EVF is used. The A530 should
take at least twice as many shots with the LCD turned
off, although that means no digital zoom and no monitoring
of the autofocus points (the little green squares).