CMOS sensors worthless for video?

Old June 22nd 10, 03:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

Default CMOS sensors worthless for video?

On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 14:18:16 -0700 (PDT), RichA wrote:
: CCD seems to be able to avoid motion problems that CMOS suffers from.
: How about Canon's 5DII, does it have these issues with video?

Right, Rich. And I once read a very compelling argument that for various
aerodynamic reasons a bumblebee can't fly.

Bob
Old June 22nd 10, 03:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
/dev/null/[_2_]

wrote:
: CCD seems to be able to avoid motion problems that CMOS suffers from.
: How about Canon's 5DII, does it have these issues with video?

Right, Rich. And I once read a very compelling argument that for various
aerodynamic reasons a bumblebee can't fly.

Bob

But then Bumblebee's can't read

Old June 22nd 10, 04:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
C.P. Robbins

On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 22:47:21 -0400, "/dev/null/" wrote:

.. .
wrote:
: CCD seems to be able to avoid motion problems that CMOS suffers from.
: How about Canon's 5DII, does it have these issues with video?

Right, Rich. And I once read a very compelling argument that for various
aerodynamic reasons a bumblebee can't fly.

Bob

But then Bumblebee's can't read

Depends what you consider "reading". I know of one particular bumblebee
that was reading its environment with the included resources and saw me as
a threat to its food sources as I was picking dandelion blossoms for a
batch of dandelion wine. It detected me picking them, and in no uncertain
terms, it dove back in forth inches in front of my face, making a louder
and louder buzzing sound at the dip of its swing, until I backed off a
couple feet and waited for it to have "first dibs" before I picked the
blossoms that it had already visited. After I read what it had read, we got
along fine the whole afternoon in that meadow together. It was quite
content to let me pick whichever ones that it got done with first. Then
another that was feeding on a wildflower and one of my dogs my dog back
then, a pup, stuck her nose right into the back of the bumblebee and kept
sniffing it for the longest time. I thought for sure she was going to learn
what a bee-sting was for. Her nose flat into the back of the bumblebee. The
bumblebee read that the dog was no real threat and just buzzed very loudly
throughout all this dog-nose abuse with dog-snot wetted wings, but didn't
skip a beat in what it was doing. My dog eventually just looked at me
quizzically on why that strange thing had just vibrated her nose so much.

Bumblebees can read. Just not in the way that you think.

Old June 23rd 10, 02:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
/dev/null/[_2_]

On 2010-06-22 17:26:57 -0700, RichA said:

On Jun 21, 10:39 pm, Robert Coe wrote:
On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 14:18:16 -0700 (PDT), RichA
wr

ote:

: CCD seems to be able to avoid motion problems that CMOS suffers from.
: How about Canon's 5DII, does it have these issues with video?

Right, Rich. And I once read a very compelling argument that for various
aerodynamic reasons a bumblebee can't fly.

Bob

I remember a plane in WW2 that had roughly the same shape as a
bumblebee and it flew.

Actually, you have to go back to 1932 and the GeeBee R-1, once flown by
Jimmy Doolittle.

http://photo.net/learn/airshow/images/geebee.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gee_Bee_Model_R

Yup put enough power in the aircraft and it'll fly. The F-104, had no wings,
and it flew. They talked about a twin engined F-104... but it scared all the
test pilots. The F-4 proved with enough power even a brick can fly.
Helicopters, well that's another thing altogether.

Old June 23rd 10, 03:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

:
: : CCD seems to be able to avoid motion problems that CMOS suffers from.
: : How about Canon's 5DII, does it have these issues with video?
:
: Right, Rich. And I once read a very compelling argument that for various
: aerodynamic reasons a bumblebee can't fly.
:
: Bob
:
: I remember a plane in WW2 that had roughly the same shape as a
: bumblebee and it flew.

If the bumblebee had a 16-cylinder gasoline-powered engine, nobody would have
doubted he could fly.

Bob
Old June 23rd 10, 03:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
/dev/null/[_2_]

wrote:
:
: : CCD seems to be able to avoid motion problems that CMOS suffers
from.
: : How about Canon's 5DII, does it have these issues with video?
:
: Right, Rich. And I once read a very compelling argument that for
various
: aerodynamic reasons a bumblebee can't fly.
:
: Bob
:
: I remember a plane in WW2 that had roughly the same shape as a
: bumblebee and it flew.

If the bumblebee had a 16-cylinder gasoline-powered engine, nobody would
have
doubted he could fly.

Bob

The GeeBee was quite a handful to fly. It took all the skills the pilot had,
plus some rather large gonads!