D90 & Movie Mode

Old September 14th 08, 01:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Jeff Heyen[_2_]

Default D90 & Movie Mode

Guys,

I've read a couple of opinions on the movie mode included in the new Nikon
D90, and that many expect this to be a feature common to dSLRs moving
forward. The opinions center on increased use of movie mode by action
photographers, and editors then picking out the ideal photo from the movie
clip. Knowing less than nothing about the movie mode, will this be a
practical application for the amateur user?

I'm asking as I'm really on the fence re the D90 vs. D300. I'm currently
using a D70, and have been really happy w/ it. New features in a camera
that interest me are the 3" LCD, ADR (or as Nikon calls it Active
D-Lighting), Live View (how much I'll use it I'm not sure at this point). I
know both the D90 and D300 have these features. What I'm not sure about is
how much I'd use the movie mode in the D90, unless as I mentioned above the
ability to pull stills from a video clip is practical.

Jeff

Old September 14th 08, 04:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Ray Fischer

Jeff Heyen wrote:
Guys,

I've read a couple of opinions on the movie mode included in the new Nikon
D90, and that many expect this to be a feature common to dSLRs moving
forward. The opinions center on increased use of movie mode by action
photographers, and editors then picking out the ideal photo from the movie
clip. Knowing less than nothing about the movie mode, will this be a
practical application for the amateur user?

Not with the D90. Its movie mode is at a much lower resolution.
The Casio EX-F1 does attempt to do something just like that, though.

--
Ray Fischer

Old September 14th 08, 04:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul[_6_]

"Jeff Heyen" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

I am coming around to the idea of video on an SLR. I wasn't sure about
having a movie mode initially because I would prefer to have other new
features to improve still photography instead, such as built in ND filters
(low ISO), auto focus points positioned in more useable places for when
shooting moving subjects, etc. Also, when I first heard of a movie mode I
visualised the type of movie clips you get from mobile phones and P&S
cameras, which are pretty diabolical.

If I want to shoot video, then I would use my camcorder. That said, I will
only take either the still camera or the camcorder depending what I am
planning to shoot, because juggling between the two doesn't work very well
in practice. As I prefer still photography, this means that my camcorder
gets left at home most of the time. So, it will do no harm to have a video
function, after all you don't have to use it.

What will be interesting is whether the video that is produced will be on
the same/similar level as what you get out of a camcorder. If it's the same
quality that you get out of P&S and mobile phones, then it would be a
feature that I would never use. If it's on par with a camcorder, then it
would be a feature that could have it's benefits.

It will be interesting to know what happens to the noise levels in still
images if you have been using it to shoot video beforehand and then switch
to still.

As for action photographers using the video on this camera instead of
stills, I doubt it because of the low resolution. If they were going to do
this, then they would use a proper video camera with a higher resolution
instead (which I have seen paps using before). For this type of use I
wonder if we will start to see more of the likes of this
appearinghttp://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/0...es-aim-a.html).

Old September 14th 08, 04:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul[_6_]

"Paul" wrote in message

As for action photographers using the video on this camera instead of
stills, I doubt it because of the low resolution. If they were going to
do this, then they would use a proper video camera with a higher
resolution instead (which I have seen paps using before). For this type
of use I wonder if we will start to see more of the likes of this
appearinghttp://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/0...es-aim-a.html).

Sorry, I'm going to go slightly OT from the OP. Further to the above link
regarding the Red DSLR killer, I also came across this
(http://www.flickr.com/groups/twip/di...607215152834/).

In this post it says "As Nikon and Canon release their 720P and 1080P,
respectively, DSLRs with video capture... ". Where did they get the 1080P
from? Has something been leaked about the 5D replacement?

Old September 14th 08, 05:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Frank Arthur

"Paul" wrote in message
"Jeff Heyen" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

I have a 2 year old Sony Cybershot Point & Shoot Digital Camera with
movie mode.
I can shoot up to 60 minutes of video. The results are good enough to
produce as an edited ( using Adobe Premier Elements) excellent DVD's
in sound. The quality (video & sound) is good enough to show on my 19"
monitor or 20" TV.
It has a Zeiss Vario-Tessar 6.7-20.1mm lens.
The Nikon D90 has got to be far superior to my old Sony with its tiny
CMOS.

Old September 14th 08, 06:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
saycheez

For the vast majority of high quality amateur work you will not see a
difference in image qulaity regardless of sensor in the Nikon line-up
(excepting at high ISOs) from cameras subsequent to the D70.
**** and moan but that is a fact because of the way most amateurs shoot and
print.
However when you look through the D200/80/90/300 the difference in the
viewing systems will justify any upgrade because the D70 has such a small,
dim viewfinder.
I have little interest in video per se but occasionally use my P&S or EVF
for that purpose.
Hence the inclusion of movie mode in the D90 may get me to buy this thing
when I swore I would sit out at least two upgrade cycles.

Old September 14th 08, 07:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

Jeff Heyen wrote:
[...]

From what I've read, the movie mode is not terribly refined and you get
panning artifacts amongst other irritants.

I think 'movie' mode will appear in more and more DSLR's over the next
few years; but video cameras will continue to be better at it than a
DSLR for a while to come.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old September 14th 08, 07:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul[_6_]

"Frank Arthur" wrote in message

I have a 2 year old Sony Cybershot Point & Shoot Digital Camera with movie
mode.
I can shoot up to 60 minutes of video. The results are good enough to
produce as an edited ( using Adobe Premier Elements) excellent DVD's in
sound. The quality (video & sound) is good enough to show on my 19"
monitor or 20" TV.
It has a Zeiss Vario-Tessar 6.7-20.1mm lens.
The Nikon D90 has got to be far superior to my old Sony with its tiny
CMOS.

Just found an amateur clip. Image quality looks OK.
(http://guykawasaki.typepad.com/DSC_0018.AVI) (32MB)

You are however limited by 6 minutes of recording in HD. Also, the focus
locks during recording, which is a bit of a shame, especially if you are
using a big aperture lens.

Old September 15th 08, 12:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
ASAAR

On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 19:36:34 +0100, Paul wrote:

I can shoot up to 60 minutes of video. The results are good enough to
produce as an edited ( using Adobe Premier Elements) excellent DVD's in
sound. The quality (video & sound) is good enough to show on my 19"
monitor or 20" TV.
It has a Zeiss Vario-Tessar 6.7-20.1mm lens.
The Nikon D90 has got to be far superior to my old Sony with its tiny
CMOS.

Just found an amateur clip. Image quality looks OK.
(http://guykawasaki.typepad.com/DSC_0018.AVI) (32MB)

You are however limited by 6 minutes of recording in HD. Also, the
focus locks during recording, which is a bit of a shame, especially if
you are using a big aperture lens.

Rarely is more than 5 consecutive minutes of video really needed.
If shooting your own personal documentary, the next 5 minute clip
can be started almost immediately, or by shooting at less than HD
resolution, longer clips are possible, up to the same 60 minutes
according to the D90's manual. Also, are you sure that the focus
locks? You may not be able to have the camera AF but MF should
work, sacrificing convenience for control. Depending on the lens,
many should also be able to override the lens's AF switch position
and focus manually while shooting video.

Old September 15th 08, 12:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Jeff Heyen[_2_]

"Jeff Heyen" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Guys, Thanks for the input. There were a lot of good thoughts. I'm getting
very grounded
in finding that the more meaningful upgrade to my D70 will be the D300.

Jeff