D90 & Movie Mode

Old September 15th 08, 01:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul[_6_]

Default D90 & Movie Mode

"ASAAR" wrote in message

Just found an amateur clip. Image quality looks OK.
(http://guykawasaki.typepad.com/DSC_0018.AVI) (32MB)

You are however limited by 6 minutes of recording in HD. Also, the
focus locks during recording, which is a bit of a shame, especially if
you are using a big aperture lens.

Rarely is more than 5 consecutive minutes of video really needed.
If shooting your own personal documentary, the next 5 minute clip
can be started almost immediately, or by shooting at less than HD
resolution, longer clips are possible, up to the same 60 minutes
according to the D90's manual.

Also, are you sure that the focus
locks? You may not be able to have the camera AF but MF should
work, sacrificing convenience for control. Depending on the lens,
many should also be able to override the lens's AF switch position
and focus manually while shooting video.

You are quite right with both of your comments.

But, why have a 6 minute limit? What if for example you are shooting an
interview, a speech, a music/theatrical scene, etc. or even a 'special' home
movie? Why the restriction? Surely it's not to allow the sensor to cool
down if you can start recording again immediately?

Yeah, poor choice of words with saying lock. Of course you can manually
focus, but again not very good. I would be quite an art zooming and
manually focusing your kid playing football for example, especially if you
are using a fast lens opened up.

Yeah, I know, it's not a video camera, but would be nice if they thought
about the above two limitations more.

Old September 15th 08, 02:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
No Spam[_4_]

"Jeff Heyen" wrote in message
. ..
Guys,

I've read a couple of opinions on the movie mode included in the new Nikon
D90, and that many expect this to be a feature common to dSLRs moving
forward. The opinions center on increased use of movie mode by action
photographers, and editors then picking out the ideal photo from the movie
clip. Knowing less than nothing about the movie mode, will this be a
practical application for the amateur user?

So we can have a fuzzy 21/2x31/2' photo for news? (1280 x 720 pixels) frame
capture.

Old September 15th 08, 06:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
ASAAR

On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 13:42:32 +0100, Paul wrote:

But, why have a 6 minute limit? What if for example you are shooting an
interview, a speech, a music/theatrical scene, etc. or even a 'special' home
movie? Why the restriction? Surely it's not to allow the sensor to cool
down if you can start recording again immediately?

I don't know how accurate it is, but I've read some accounts in
the DPR forums that at this point the file size reaches 2GB, the
maximum "safe" file size limit for many computers. Nikon could have
used common techniques such as continuing to shoot, using as many
2GB files as needed for a single video (the Zoom H2 does this for
large audio files), but maybe Nikon has that single file limit to
make the non-pro D90 "idiot proof", so an inexperienced user doesn't
completely fill their only 4GB or 8GB card with a single relatively
short video.

You're right about it probably not being a heat restriction, as
some there (DPR forums) that have measured sensor temperatures (one
buys sensors used in cameras that he's designed for other companies)
show that sensors don't significantly warm with extended use,
typically using only about 1/10 the energy used by the LCD display.

Old September 15th 08, 06:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
nospam

In article , Paul
wrote:

But, why have a 6 minute limit?

tariffs.

What if for example you are shooting an
interview, a speech, a music/theatrical scene, etc. or even a 'special' home
movie? Why the restriction? Surely it's not to allow the sensor to cool
down if you can start recording again immediately?

the sensor does not heat up. someone on dpreview used one of those
infrared temperature measuring devices after using live view for over
an hour on a d3 and found no significant change, nor any effect in the
images produced. furthermore, if it really was due to heat, the camera
would block the user from taking a second 5 minute movie immediately
after the first, and it would also limit live view to no more than 5
minute intervals.

the real reason is that a 'video camera' is taxed differently, so by
limiting it, it doesn't qualify as a 'video camera.'
Old September 15th 08, 07:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul[_6_]

"ASAAR" wrote in message

But, why have a 6 minute limit? What if for example you are shooting an
interview, a speech, a music/theatrical scene, etc. or even a 'special'
home
movie? Why the restriction? Surely it's not to allow the sensor to cool
down if you can start recording again immediately?

I don't know how accurate it is, but I've read some accounts in
the DPR forums that at this point the file size reaches 2GB, the
maximum "safe" file size limit for many computers. Nikon could have
used common techniques such as continuing to shoot, using as many
2GB files as needed for a single video (the Zoom H2 does this for
large audio files), but maybe Nikon has that single file limit to
make the non-pro D90 "idiot proof", so an inexperienced user doesn't
completely fill their only 4GB or 8GB card with a single relatively
short video.

Ah, didn't think about that. Not good from a user point of view, but this
makes sense.

Old September 15th 08, 07:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul[_6_]

"nospam" wrote in message

But, why have a 6 minute limit?

the real reason is that a 'video camera' is taxed differently, so by
limiting it, it doesn't qualify as a 'video camera.'

This is quite possible. I remember ordering a camera from the US and
apparently the duty you have to pay is different if you buy a body compared
to if you buy a body with a lens. Something like that anyway, I let them
sort it out to be honest, so can't really remember.

That said, I think that the file size limits of the OS are the real reason.

Old September 15th 08, 09:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
nospam

In article , Paul
wrote:

That said, I think that the file size limits of the OS are the real reason.

except that a 5 minute video in the highest resolution is only about
600 mb, not even close to the fat32 limit.
Old September 17th 08, 06:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Maurice Blanchard[_4_]

get the Canon 5D II

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0809/08...n_5dmarkII.asp

Old September 17th 08, 02:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
No Spam[_4_]

"Maurice Blanchard" wrote in message
get the Canon 5D II

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0809/08...n_5dmarkII.asp

Odd how TV/Video maker Sony can't figure out how to do video in a dSLR

I can see dSLR users now with a Sennheiser ME66 - K6 Shotgun Mic, and a
Petroff matte box

Old September 19th 08, 03:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
/dev/null/

$1000 USD to shoot YouTube vids?

Here is the new 30 mp Pentax dSLR/HD108p

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=29385464