Canon 5D announced !

Old September 19th 08, 12:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
____

Default Canon 5D announced !

In article ,
SMS wrote:

David J. Littleboy wrote:
"ASAAR" wrote:
On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 01:00:33 +0900, David J. Littleboy wrote:

Maybe the collapse of the financial markets means Canon has to keep the
price down.
Maybe. Or maybe the collapse of Canon's virtual FF monopoly kept
the price down more than any financial collapses did.

Touché! You are most certainly right here. I think that the basic ballpark
price (US$3,000) of the 5DII was known ahead of time, but that it's US$600
cheaper than the original 5D is thanks to the A900 and D700. Thanks Sony
and
Nikon.

Canon knew they couldn't keep the prices so high once some competition
appeared. It's amazing that it took so long for Nikon to come up with
something comparable to the 5D, and how short a time it took for Canon
to blow the Nikon entry out of the water. No one that's not already
lens-committed to Nikon would choose the D700 or A900 over the 5D Mark
II, which is in a class by itself.

For now twit. Consider that Canon ****ed FD lens user off when they when
to the EOS mount. Consider that Nikon users can virtually select from a
vast array of lenses that work with the current FF camera and original
mount.

--
Reality is a picture perfected and never looking back.
Old September 19th 08, 01:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
SMS

____ wrote:
In article ,
SMS wrote:

For now twit. Consider that Canon ****ed FD lens user off when they when
to the EOS mount. Consider that Nikon users can virtually select from a
vast array of lenses that work with the current FF camera and original
mount.

LOL, obviously you've never bothered to look at any of the Nikon lens
compatibility charts.

The FD to EOS transition took place more than 20 years ago. Get over it.
Without EOS, Canon would have not taken the lead in professional SLR
sales because the FD mount was inadequate. Nikon made a big mistake by
trying to kludge the F mount time after time, and failing to include
some functionality for older lenses on some digital bodies. Nikon can't
do all the lenses Canon is capable of doing because of the old mount.

One thing I do like about Nikon is that their DX lenses can be used
directly on their full frame cameras, just without using the full frame.
With Canon, using an EF-S lens on a full-frame mount requires an adapter
that extends the lens forward slightly.

But actually, you're right, it's always "for now." No doubt Nikon is
soon going to announce a D300 replacement that will move it ahead of the
50D (probably including video capability like the D90). No doubt Nikon
will also announce a replacement for the D700 so they can compete
against the 5D Mark II, though the D700 replacement is probably at least
4-6 months away since the D700 is pretty recent. Nikon users would be
advised to sit tight for a while and continue using their existing D-SLR
bodies while Nikon readies their next generation. While you can wait
forever for the next great thing, in this case Nikon _has_ to respond
quickly to the EOS 5D Mark II and the EOS 50D, just as Canon will have
to do something about the XSi in regards to how it competes against the D90.
Old September 19th 08, 01:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
measekite

On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 19:34:58 -0400, ____ wrote:

In article ,
SMS wrote:

David J. Littleboy wrote:
"ASAAR" wrote:
[...]

That is a true statement but bull**** at the same time. I have older
Nikon lenses that are not even autofocus that I used on my F2A. I really
do not give a crap about being able to use them on a new DSLR like the
D90. I am buying digital and want the benefits like auto focus, auto
exposure, image stabilization and a newer lighter design. So having a
bunch of older featureless lenses does not enter into my purchasing
decision. That is why I am leaning more toward Canon.

For now I like Canon better. As far as image results I think Nikon and
Canon are about the same and printing photos from either on either an
Epson Ultrachrome K3 printer or a Canon IPF Lucia printer would also be
about the same.
Old September 19th 08, 03:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
nospam

In article , SMS
wrote:

For now twit. Consider that Canon ****ed FD lens user off when they when
to the EOS mount. Consider that Nikon users can virtually select from a
vast array of lenses that work with the current FF camera and original
mount.

LOL, obviously you've never bothered to look at any of the Nikon lens
compatibility charts.

obviously you've never used any of them. basically, just about all of
the old nikon lenses work fine on a nikon dslr. the charts make it
seem a lot more complicated than it really is.

The FD to EOS transition took place more than 20 years ago. Get over it.
Without EOS, Canon would have not taken the lead in professional SLR
sales because the FD mount was inadequate. Nikon made a big mistake by
trying to kludge the F mount time after time, and failing to include
some functionality for older lenses on some digital bodies. Nikon can't
do all the lenses Canon is capable of doing because of the old mount.

that's simply false, regardless of how many times you say it.

One thing I do like about Nikon is that their DX lenses can be used
directly on their full frame cameras, just without using the full frame.
With Canon, using an EF-S lens on a full-frame mount requires an adapter
that extends the lens forward slightly.

an adapter? the only way that works is with an extension tube which
means that the lens can no longer focus to infinity, or a teleconverter
that changes the focal length and f/stop (and adversely affects the
quality).

But actually, you're right, it's always "for now." No doubt Nikon is
soon going to announce a D300 replacement that will move it ahead of the
50D (probably including video capability like the D90). No doubt Nikon
will also announce a replacement for the D700 so they can compete
against the 5D Mark II, though the D700 replacement is probably at least
4-6 months away since the D700 is pretty recent. Nikon users would be
advised to sit tight for a while and continue using their existing D-SLR
bodies while Nikon readies their next generation.

nonsense.

While you can wait
forever for the next great thing, in this case Nikon _has_ to respond
quickly to the EOS 5D Mark II and the EOS 50D, just as Canon will have
to do something about the XSi in regards to how it competes against the D90.

no they don't have to respond quickly. the d300 and d700 are decent
cameras as they are, and offer some things canon doesn't. for example,
the d300/700 have a 51 point autofocus system and the 50d/5d mark ii
have a 9 point autofocus. both nikon and canon have excellent cameras.
Old September 19th 08, 03:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
/dev/null/

"Maurice Blanchard" wrote in message
Finally...

30 mp Pentax dSLR/HD1080p

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=29385464

Old September 19th 08, 06:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
____

In article
,
Annika1980 wrote:

On Sep 18, 8:42*pm, SMS wrote:
No doubt Nikon is
soon going to announce a D300 replacement that will move it ahead of the
50D (probably including video capability like the D90). No doubt Nikon
will also announce a replacement for the D700 so they can compete
against the 5D Mark II, though the D700 replacement is probably at least
4-6 months away since the D700 is pretty recent. Nikon users would be
advised to sit tight for a while and continue using their existing D-SLR
bodies while Nikon readies their next generation.

It usually takes Nikon a year or two to catch up to Canon's latest
offerings. Once the new Nikon hits the market it takes Canon about 30
minutes to go back in front.

Sux to be you, Nikonians!

Not half as bad as it would to be you.

--
Reality is a picture perfected and never looking back.
Old September 19th 08, 11:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Wolfgang Weisselberg

____ wrote:
ASAAR wrote:

Maybe. Or maybe the collapse of Canon's virtual FF monopoly kept
the price down more than any financial collapses did.

And the fact that Nikon did it w/o sacrificing the original Nikon mount.

Opposed to?

-Wolfgang
Old September 19th 08, 12:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Noons

Maurice Blanchard wrote,on my timestamp of 17/09/2008 1:54 PM:
Finally...

http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/control...articleID=2046

Good info site:
http://fakechuckwestfall.wordpress.com/

Old September 19th 08, 12:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
____

In article ,
Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:

____ wrote:
ASAAR wrote:

Maybe. Or maybe the collapse of Canon's virtual FF monopoly kept
the price down more than any financial collapses did.

And the fact that Nikon did it w/o sacrificing the original Nikon mount.

Opposed to?

-Wolfgang

Reading the thread, I guess in your case.

--
Reality is a picture perfected and never looking back.
Old September 19th 08, 01:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Wolfgang Weisselberg

____ wrote:
ASAAR wrote:

Maybe. Or maybe the collapse of Canon's virtual FF monopoly kept
the price down more than any financial collapses did.

And the fact that Nikon did it w/o sacrificing the original Nikon mount.

Opposed to?

Reading the thread, I guess in your case.

Canon sacrificed which mount again going to FF?

And don't tell me EF-S users had no idea that their lenses
may not be FF compatible ...

-Wolfgang