What Happened to Amazon? Their web site comes back with "Http/1.1Service Unavailable"

Old June 7th 08, 12:21 AM posted to misc.consumers,rec.photo.digital
Blinky the Shark

Default What Happened to Amazon? Their web site comes back with "Http/1.1 Service Unavailable"

The Bobert wrote:

In article ,
"BobW" wrote:

Hmmm...I have a theory -- they have a bug in their software such that if
someone orders the combination of a CD, two books, and a screwdriver
then it takes down their website.

Let me know what I've won.

Bob

You get the No-Prize for the day.

Can I have the booby prize? I like boobies.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Old June 7th 08, 02:05 AM posted to misc.consumers,rec.photo.digital
Blinky the Shark

BobW wrote:

wrote in message
BobW wrote:

Hmmm...I have a theory -- they have a bug in their software such that
if someone orders the combination of a CD, two books, and a screwdriver
then it takes down their website.

Let me know what I've won.

A dinner with Alexander Abian.

In 1973 I had, for two days, the secret formula for crashing the ENTIRE
INTERNET (Arpanet). It happened twice before the coders figured out what
the bug was
in their code. Such were the early days.

Doug McDonald

Doug,

Wow. You were active in networking during the Arpanet days? In 1973, I was
still trying to see how far I could pee.

Once you get old enough, that will become important to you again.

Old June 7th 08, 03:37 AM posted to misc.consumers,rec.photo.digital
01dyna

On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 18:20:19 -0700, Gary Edstrom
you wrote:

On Fri, 6 Jun 2008 17:06:11 -0700, "BobW"
wrote:

Wow. You were active in networking during the Arpanet days? In 1973, I was
still trying to see how far I could pee.

Let's see...In 1973 I was working in the secure communications center at
Naval Air Station, Alameda, California. Worked on repairing
cryptographic equipment and troubleshooting Navy's communications
network on base whenever it went down. Those were the good old days!
ASR33 teletypes pounding out hard copy at 60 words per minute. Keeping
busy day and night. Good old punched paper tape with the 5-bit Baudot
code for offline storage

In 1974 I was worked in the communications center on Midway Island:
http://gbe.dynip.com/Midway/Gary_Eds.../Q0001107A.jpg
(The above picture was taken during a return visit in 2001. The
building had long-since been abandoned.)

Gary

Hey! I was a CT(T) back then. Ah the good ole days... the elephant
cage, teletype and sonagrams...
Old June 7th 08, 04:27 AM posted to misc.consumers,rec.photo.digital
m II

BobW wrote:

Hmmm...I have a theory -- they have a bug in their software such that if
someone orders the combination of a CD, two books, and a screwdriver then it
takes down their website.

Oh..they're using Windows Vista?

mike

--
Due to the insane amount of spam and garbage, this filter
blocks all postings from Gmail, Google Mail and Google Groups.

http://improve-usenet.org/
Old June 7th 08, 05:57 AM posted to misc.consumers,rec.photo.digital
Blinky the Shark

Paul Allen wrote:

On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 11:19:29 -0700, SMS wrote:

What Happened to Amazon?

Their web site comes back with "Http/1.1 Service Unavailable"

Are they still in business?

Wow. At 11:32am, Pacific Time, they're still offline. I wonder how many
billion dollars they lose for each minute they're down? Some poor Unix
admin's sweating right now. :-(

A CNET estimate that was slashdotted today was "more than $31,000 per
minute on average", based on its last reported quarterly revenues.

Old June 7th 08, 07:49 AM posted to misc.consumers,rec.photo.digital
Ray Fischer

wrote:
BobW wrote:

Hmmm...I have a theory -- they have a bug in their software such that if
someone orders the combination of a CD, two books, and a screwdriver then it
takes down their website.

Let me know what I've won.

A dinner with Alexander Abian.

In 1973 I had, for two days, the secret formula for crashing the ENTIRE
INTERNET (Arpanet). It happened twice before the coders figured out what the bug was
in their code. Such were the early days.

And how many computers did that actually affect? 100?

--
Ray Fischer

Old June 7th 08, 08:09 AM posted to misc.consumers,rec.photo.digital
SMS

Blinky the Shark wrote:
Paul Allen wrote:

On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 11:19:29 -0700, SMS wrote:

What Happened to Amazon?

Their web site comes back with "Http/1.1 Service Unavailable"

Are they still in business?

Wow. At 11:32am, Pacific Time, they're still offline. I wonder how many
billion dollars they lose for each minute they're down? Some poor Unix
admin's sweating right now. :-(

A CNET estimate that was slashdotted today was "more than $31,000 per
minute on average", based on its last reported quarterly revenues.

So all those people that would have placed orders immediately gave up
and went to other vendor's web sites to place orders.
Old June 7th 08, 01:56 PM posted to misc.consumers,rec.photo.digital
01dyna

On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 23:45:15 -0700, Gary Edstrom
you wrote:

snip

Out on Midway Island, they saved all communications for 1 year from the
date of transmission or reception. They were stored as both a hard
copy, and a punched paper tape copy. That amounted to quite a bit of
paper stacking up each day.

One of the daily tasks was to take the year old papers to a small
incinerator we had just behind the comm center. There with a witness,
the papers were burned and a statement signed certifying that they had
been destroyed.

With those 60wpm teletypes, long messages could take quite a while to
print out. Some of the flight plans for outbound pilots would take up
to 45 minutes to print. We had 2 such teletypes, and during daytime
hours, both were busy almost all of the time.

Gary

yep..we'd store them in burnbags and once a week we rotated duty
to take them to the shredder out back. First we'd shred a couple
hundred bags, and then the shreded material would be taken
off-site and burned.

That shredder would of been a very convienent way to get rid of
undesirables. That honker was *huge* and we used 2 ft long planks
of 2x4's to sharpen the blades.

Old June 7th 08, 03:56 PM posted to misc.consumers,rec.photo.digital
Chris H

In message , Ray Fischer
writes
wrote:
BobW wrote:

Hmmm...I have a theory -- they have a bug in their software such that if
someone orders the combination of a CD, two books, and a screwdriver
then it
takes down their website.

Let me know what I've won.

A dinner with Alexander Abian.

In 1973 I had, for two days, the secret formula for crashing the ENTIRE
INTERNET (Arpanet). It happened twice before the coders figured out
what the bug was
in their code. Such were the early days.

And how many computers did that actually affect? 100?

Arpanet and the Internet are two different things. There ware may WAN
networks around the works. All the Internet did was connect them.

The good thing about the Internet, such as it was, in those days is that
there was an entrance exam.

You had to be at a Government/military establishment, a good university.
a research organisation etc this generally meant the majority were
University graduates and/or technically aware.

Not any idiot can get on.

Old June 7th 08, 04:18 PM posted to misc.consumers,rec.photo.digital
Chris H

In message , Chris H
writes
In message , Ray Fischer
writes
wrote:
BobW wrote:

Hmmm...I have a theory -- they have a bug in their software such that if
someone orders the combination of a CD, two books, and a
screwdriver then it
takes down their website.

Let me know what I've won.

A dinner with Alexander Abian.

In 1973 I had, for two days, the secret formula for crashing the ENTIRE
INTERNET (Arpanet). It happened twice before the coders figured out
what the bug was
in their code. Such were the early days.

And how many computers did that actually affect? 100?

What I typed and what appeared are two different things :-)

Arpanet and the Internet are two different things. There ware may WAN
networks around the works.

world
All the Internet did was connect them.

The good thing about the Internet, such as it was, in those days is
that there was an entrance exam.

You had to be at a Government/military establishment, a good
university. a research organisation etc this generally meant the
majority were University graduates and/or technically aware.

Not

NOW
any idiot can get on.

In