"safe" temperatures for lithium batteries?

Old January 14th 08, 01:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
151

Default "safe" temperatures for lithium batteries?

Hi all,

I have a question about lithium batteries that I suspect you guys
might be able to answer since I am sure digital cameras go through
quite a bit of rough treatment.

Basically, I recently got a device that warned (rather vaugely) about
leaving the device (in this case a bluetooth headset) anywhere it
might get hot (direct sunlight, on top of a heater etc) as this might
affect the battery...

I am curious as to what might happen to the battery if it is left in a
hot/warm place? What are the average safe operational/storage
tempertures for lithium batteries - are we talking 6-0 degrees C for
example?

cheers!

Old January 14th 08, 09:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Navas[_2_]

On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 04:16:00 -0800 (PST), 151 wrote
in :

I have a question about lithium batteries that I suspect you guys
might be able to answer since I am sure digital cameras go through
quite a bit of rough treatment.

Basically, I recently got a device that warned (rather vaugely) about
leaving the device (in this case a bluetooth headset) anywhere it
might get hot (direct sunlight, on top of a heater etc) as this might
affect the battery...

I am curious as to what might happen to the battery if it is left in a
hot/warm place? What are the average safe operational/storage
tempertures for lithium batteries - are we talking 6-0 degrees C for
example?

For lithium-ion rechargeable batteries:

1. Elevated temperature greatly accelerates the rate at which they
experience permanent loss of capacity:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_ion_battery#Storage_temperature_and_charge

2. High temperatures increase the risk of rupture, ignition or
explosion:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_ion_battery#Controversy

Lithium disposable batteries have different chemistry.

--
Best regards,
John Navas
Old January 14th 08, 11:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Raoul

wrote:

Hi all,

I have a question about lithium batteries that I suspect you guys
might be able to answer since I am sure digital cameras go through
quite a bit of rough treatment.

Basically, I recently got a device that warned (rather vaugely) about
leaving the device (in this case a bluetooth headset) anywhere it
might get hot (direct sunlight, on top of a heater etc) as this might
affect the battery...

I am curious as to what might happen to the battery if it is left in a
hot/warm place? What are the average safe operational/storage
tempertures for lithium batteries - are we talking 6-0 degrees C for
example?

cheers!

Lithium batteries, as opposed to Li-Ion batteries, generally are rated
at 185F (85C). I would never expose anything electronic to
temperatures above 100F (38C) or direct sunlight just on general
principle.
Old January 15th 08, 09:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

151 wrote:
Hi all,

I have a question about lithium batteries that I suspect you guys
might be able to answer since I am sure digital cameras go through
quite a bit of rough treatment.

Basically, I recently got a device that warned (rather vaugely) about
leaving the device (in this case a bluetooth headset) anywhere it
might get hot (direct sunlight, on top of a heater etc) as this might
affect the battery...

I am curious as to what might happen to the battery if it is left in a
hot/warm place? What are the average safe operational/storage
tempertures for lithium batteries - are we talking 6-0 degrees C for
example?

cheers!

At those temps, you are quite likely to cause the plastic case to
deform. Temps in a car in a warm climate, such as Texas, can quickly
rise to 160 F. This is likely to damage batteries, and can easily
deform plastic. Add to the ambient temp, the temperature increase from
direct sun, and plastic can melt. My brother once got second degree
burns from the leather seats in his car when he got in it with shorts on.
Old January 15th 08, 09:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

wrote:

[...]

100F? If I didn't expose mine to that temp, I couldn't use it outside
during much of the Texas summer! Still, as I mentioned above, leaving a
camera in a car can be a problem.
Old January 15th 08, 03:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
151

wrote:

[...]

I am guesing its a lithium-ion in my case. The reason I ask is that I
left the item near a source of warm air (computer system fan) and it
got quite warm to the touch when I finally moved it. I imagine the
temperature was not huge however it did get me thinking about the dire
warnings in the devices manual!

I would have thought that laptop batteries would be exposed to 38C
regularly unless taken out when the laptop was plugged in...same with
digital cameras under studio lighting perhaps?

it would just be nice to have some actual figures for what constitutes
a risky temperature for rechareable li-ion batteries...
Old January 15th 08, 04:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 04:16:00 -0800, 151 wrote:

Hi all,

I have a question about lithium batteries that I suspect you guys
might be able to answer since I am sure digital cameras go through
quite a bit of rough treatment.

Basically, I recently got a device that warned (rather vaugely) about
leaving the device (in this case a bluetooth headset) anywhere it
might get hot (direct sunlight, on top of a heater etc) as this might
affect the battery...

I am curious as to what might happen to the battery if it is left in a
hot/warm place? What are the average safe operational/storage
tempertures for lithium batteries - are we talking 6-0 degrees C for
example?

cheers!

There is a lot of battery information at 'batterydata.com'.

Old January 15th 08, 05:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , ray
wrote:

There is a lot of battery information at 'batterydata.com'.

too bad that it's neither objective nor accurate. that site is
extremely biased in favour of lithium batteries. for instance, he
claims that devices with lithium ion batteries are more reliable
because the battery doors break on devices that use aa batteries. that
has *nothing* to do with the battery and everything to do with the
battery door itself. there are a number of devices with lithium
batteries with crappy doors that prematurely fail.

or his claim that aa batteries are only found on low end products. the
nikon d300 battery grip can take aa batteries. apparently, that's low
end.
Old January 15th 08, 05:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 08:23:33 -0800, nospam wrote:

In article , ray
wrote:

There is a lot of battery information at 'batterydata.com'.

too bad that it's neither objective nor accurate. that site is
extremely biased in favour of lithium batteries. for instance, he
claims that devices with lithium ion batteries are more reliable
because the battery doors break on devices that use aa batteries. that
has *nothing* to do with the battery and everything to do with the
battery door itself. there are a number of devices with lithium
batteries with crappy doors that prematurely fail.

or his claim that aa batteries are only found on low end products. the
nikon d300 battery grip can take aa batteries. apparently, that's low
end.

As with most information on the internet: Caveat Emptor.

Old January 15th 08, 06:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Navas[_2_]

On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 09:59:08 -0700, ray wrote in
:

wrote:

There is a lot of battery information at 'batterydata.com'.

too bad that it's neither objective nor accurate. that site is
extremely biased in favour of lithium batteries. for instance, he
claims that devices with lithium ion batteries are more reliable
because the battery doors break on devices that use aa batteries. that
has *nothing* to do with the battery and everything to do with the
battery door itself. there are a number of devices with lithium
batteries with crappy doors that prematurely fail.

or his claim that aa batteries are only found on low end products. the
nikon d300 battery grip can take aa batteries. apparently, that's low
end.

As with most information on the internet: Caveat Emptor.

I would say, "It's worth every penny you're paying for it."