Now that "hybrid aspheres" are avail, where's the cheap "NoctNikkors?"

Old June 1st 08, 06:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

Default Now that "hybrid aspheres" are avail, where's the cheap "NoctNikkors?"

RichA wrote:
Could it BE that the PLASTIC part of the lens cannot be made
accurately enough (certainly not as well as a glass part) and thus
they can't produce a modern Noct?
Kind of reminds me of the plastic used in camera bodies "engineering
plastic," a new euphemism for the same old crap.

I guess you never fly on MD-80's, 737-400's (and later), 747-400's (and
later), 757's, 767's, Airbus 320, 330 and 340.

As to the upcoming 787, it takes the cake in composites and plastics and
the competing A-350 will go almost as far. The A-380 also depends
highly on plastics and composites to keep its weight down.

Darned engineers.

Imagine if a car could be made of mainly composites at a reasonable
price. (And price is the only barrier). It would be so much lighter
that an engine half the size or less could be used for the same
performance and safety. Then being so much lighter, the wheels could be
lighter, the brakes lighter, transmission lighter and so on. That would
save a hell of a lot of fuel and make a serial hybrid a very attractive
machine.

By the way Rich, enclosing the term _engineering plastic_ in quotes does
not work to make something non-genuine.

The brief descriptions of engineering plastic and commodity plastic on
Wikipedia is useful for your guidance.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old June 1st 08, 07:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Blinky the Shark

Alan Browne wrote:

RichA wrote:
[...]

Speaking of plastics and lenses, what kind of plastic does Nikon use for
their lens famil[y|ies] that do not have metal mounting flanges (or
however the part that meshes with the mount on the body is labeled)?

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Old June 2nd 08, 11:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
frederick

David Ruether wrote:
I got over my distaste for plastic when
I came to appreciate the toughness of the sheathing on the Nikon
FG and FA bodies, although I still prefer the look and feel of
AIS MF Nikkor lenses.

For the Nikon FA - I guess you had a black one?
If you had a silver one, then I'd be surprised to hear any comment about
ruggedness - because they weren't. (IIRC the black was polycarbonate or
similar - the silver one I had was some other type of plastic which did
crack quite easily - as I found out). Like the MacBook, Nikon charged a
premium for black. Unlike Apple, Nikon had a good reason.
Old June 3rd 08, 01:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

RichA wrote:
On Jun 1, 1:36 pm, Alan Browne
wrote:
RichA wrote:
Could it BE that the PLASTIC part of the lens cannot be made
accurately enough (certainly not as well as a glass part) and thus
they can't produce a modern Noct?
Kind of reminds me of the plastic used in camera bodies "engineering
plastic," a new euphemism for the same old crap.

I guess you never fly on MD-80's, 737-400's (and later), 747-400's (and
later), 757's, 767's, Airbus 320, 330 and 340.

As to the upcoming 787, it takes the cake in composites and plastics and
the competing A-350 will go almost as far. The A-380 also depends
highly on plastics and composites to keep its weight down.

Darned engineers.

Yes, those DSLR do use multiple layers of kevlar and carbon fibre in
their bodies, don't they? That's like saying mixing copper and tin
give you gold instead of brass because they're all metals.

Stop being so selective. Cockpit windows are made of plastic/glass
layers, they don't break often despite temperature and pressure
differentials. Fighter canopies are made of either acrylics or
polycarbonates and goto Mach 2 and ever faster. Aircraft also use many
non-composite plastics in many areas including valves, pump impeller
casings, skin areas, spacers, piping and so on. Some missiles
(supersonic) use non-composite plastic nose cones and fins.

Those cameras that use polycarbonate are more than up to the task. My
7xi (bought in 1993, not much use these days) certainly carries the
scars and patina of the long, ungentle use that it got. And yet is not
broken (despite a few falls) and functions just fine.

I've seen more "tragically" disabled metal cameras than plastic.

Plastic bodied cameras are more than adequate for the needs of most
casual, many amateur and some pro photogs. The proof is in the wide
range of such cameras in long term use everywhere by such photogs.

You just keep banging your drum, though.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old June 3rd 08, 10:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

RichA wrote:
Likely because pros don't just take their cameras for vacation shots.

Selective snipping is your best strength I guess.
Old June 4th 08, 02:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Dev/Null

"Alan Browne" wrote in message
RichA wrote:
Could it BE that the PLASTIC part of the lens cannot be made
accurately enough (certainly not as well as a glass part) and thus
they can't produce a modern Noct?
Kind of reminds me of the plastic used in camera bodies "engineering
plastic," a new euphemism for the same old crap.

I guess you never fly on MD-80's, 737-400's (and later), 747-400's (and
later), 757's, 767's, Airbus 320, 330 and 340.

As to the upcoming 787, it takes the cake in composites and plastics and
the competing A-350 will go almost as far. The A-380 also depends highly
on plastics and composites to keep its weight down.

Darned engineers.

Police and Military body armour is Plastic (Kevlar) and for extra protection
they add ceramic plates (not metal).

I guess RichA's love doll is made out of tin...

Old June 5th 08, 12:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

Dev/Null wrote:

I guess RichA's love doll is made out of tin...

poor doll.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.