New Foto Tip column by Mark Alberhasky

Old December 11th 06, 12:07 PM posted to alt.photography,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital.zlr
Wayne J. Cosshall

Default New Foto Tip column by Mark Alberhasky

Hi All,

I've posted the latest Foto Tip by Mark Alberhasky, a Nikon mentor and
international photography speaker:
http://www.dimagemaker.com/specials/fototips.php
It is the simple things we often forget.

Cheers,

Wayne

--
Wayne J. Cosshall
Old December 15th 06, 10:20 AM posted to alt.photography,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital.zlr
John Phillips

On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 22:07:15 +1100, "Wayne J. Cosshall"
wrote:

I've posted the latest Foto Tip by Mark Alberhasky, a Nikon mentor and
international photography speaker:
http://www.dimagemaker.com/specials/fototips.php
It is the simple things we often forget.

So where's the tip?

All I get is a page full of ads from Google, a portrait of the "author"
and some Amazon ads.

John Phillips
Sydney, Australia
Old December 15th 06, 11:30 AM posted to alt.photography,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital.zlr
Duncan

The tip John is how to drive more people to your site to pump up your hit
rate!!! ;-)

Agree with you that it has nothing to offer.

Duncan

Old December 15th 06, 12:54 PM posted to alt.photography,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital.zlr
Wayne J. Cosshall

If you scroll down, depending on the size of your browser window, you
will find a series of links to the tip articles he has presented so far.
If you want to go to the latest tip it is:
http://www.dimagemaker.com/article.php?articleID=806

Cheers,

Wayne

--
Wayne J. Cosshall
Old December 15th 06, 06:37 PM posted to alt.photography,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital.zlr
ray

On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 22:07:15 +1100, Wayne J. Cosshall wrote:

Hi All,

I've posted the latest Foto Tip by Mark Alberhasky, a Nikon mentor and
international photography speaker:
http://www.dimagemaker.com/specials/fototips.php
It is the simple things we often forget.

Cheers,

Wayne

IMHO a very poorly designed web site. The links look like normal text
instead of links, and the vital info is "below the fold".

Old December 15th 06, 11:44 PM posted to alt.photography,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital.zlr
R.J Heath

Wayne J. Cosshall wrote:
If you scroll down, depending on the size of your browser window, you
will find a series of links to the tip articles he has presented so far.
If you want to go to the latest tip it is:
http://www.dimagemaker.com/article.php?articleID=806

Cheers,

Wayne

Why not just post that the first time
Old December 16th 06, 01:41 AM posted to alt.photography,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital.zlr
Wayne J. Cosshall

R.J Heath wrote:
Why not just post that the first time

It never occurred to me that someone couldn't scroll down. Besides, if
you haven't read any of Mark's columns before, the way I posted people
would see not only that post but his others.

You can't please everyone.

Cheers,

Wayne

--
Wayne J. Cosshall
Old December 16th 06, 01:59 AM posted to alt.photography,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital.zlr
ray

On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 11:41:57 +1100, Wayne J. Cosshall wrote:

R.J Heath wrote:
Why not just post that the first time

It never occurred to me that someone couldn't scroll down. Besides, if
you haven't read any of Mark's columns before, the way I posted people
would see not only that post but his others.

You can't please everyone.

Cheers,

Wayne

Two prime tenets of web site design:

1) make the links look like links
2) put the material of primary interest 'above the fold'.

Old December 16th 06, 06:35 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital.zlr
kosh

R.J Heath wrote:

Why not just post that the first time

It never occurred to me that someone couldn't scroll down. Besides, if
you haven't read any of Mark's columns before, the way I posted people
would see not only that post but his others.

You can't please everyone.

Cheers,

Wayne

Two prime tenets of web site design:

1) make the links look like links
2) put the material of primary interest 'above the fold'.

poorly designed ... yes
un-usable.....no

as the links have dates next to them it shoul dbe somewhat obvious.....
could be much more so though, when you have all of 10 seconds to get
someones attention enough to stay on the site!

kosh
Old December 16th 06, 07:35 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital.zlr
Wayne J. Cosshall

kosh wrote:
poorly designed ... yes
un-usable.....no

as the links have dates next to them it shoul dbe somewhat obvious.....
could be much more so though, when you have all of 10 seconds to get
someones attention enough to stay on the site!

kosh

I don't think one can say it is poorly designed without it being an ego
thing, just that you don't like the design or do not personally find it
clear or effective. I can tell you that I am constantly considering
changes to the site, and will take the preceding comments on board, as I
always do. However, if you have actually designed a site with as much
content as my one has, you'll know that there are a lot of issues in the
design of the site, many of which pull you in opposite directions.
Moving away from the 'traditional' blue underlined links is not
something you do lightly. Many sites have moved away from this, to a
greater or lesser extent, such as:
http://www.theage.com.au/
and
http://www.nytimes.com/
Others have not. It is, in fact, all a juggling act, usually informed by
assessments of the types of users visiting a site and their level of
proficiency.

There is the rollover change of color when you hover the cursor, but I
will change that to include an underline so it is even clearer.

The specifics of Mark's page are flexible. I put the cruise ad in to
support Mark. Without it the links to the individual columns comes up
much higher. I think I'll move it below the column links.

Cheers,

Wayne

--
Wayne J. Cosshall