OT nothing on "nntp.aioe.org" news

Old July 29th 06, 02:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Celcius

Default OT nothing on "nntp.aioe.org" news

Hi all!
Sorry for the inconvenience, but I had to get on Google to post this
message.
I tried their home page, but I get "timed out"
Anyone knows anything?
Thanks,
Marcel

Old July 29th 06, 04:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Rudy Benner

"Celcius" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi all!
Sorry for the inconvenience, but I had to get on Google to post this
message.
I tried their home page, but I get "timed out"
Anyone knows anything?
Thanks,
Marcel

Works fine for me. I have noticed that service not always being available.
Considering the price, I can live with it.

Old July 29th 06, 04:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On 29 Jul 2006 06:12:09 -0700, Celcius wrote:

Hi all!
Sorry for the inconvenience, but I had to get on Google to post this
message.
I tried their home page, but I get "timed out"
Anyone knows anything?

No response from nntp.aioe.org (including trying versions of
nntp://...). But going to http://aioe.org shows this:

listing: /

access user group date size name

drwxr-xr-x root root Jun 16 21:32 DIR innreport

webfs/1.21 29/Jul/2006 15:15:33 GMT

and opening webfs/1.21 takes me to

http://linux.bytesex.org/misc/webfs.html

and shows this:

webfs homepage
About webfs

This is a simple http server for mostly static content. You can use it to serve the content of a
ftp server via http for example. It is also nice to export some files the quick way by starting
a http server in a few seconds, without editing some config file first.

It uses sendfile() and knows how to use sendfile on linux and FreeBSD. Adding other systems
should'nt be difficuilt. There is some sendfile emulation code which uses read()+write() and
a userland bounce buffer, this allows to compile and use webfs on systems without sendfile() too.

Recent versions also got limited CGI support (GET requests only) and optional SSL support.

You shouldn't use versions older than 1.20 because of recent security fixes.
Download

webfs is available for download here.
Features & Design

It is supported to serve just files and to do this in a good and fast way. Don't expect much more
features that it has right now, I want keep it small and simple.

It is a single-process server, based on select() and non-blocking I/O. It supports keep-alive,
byte ranges, virtual hosts and IPv6. It generates automatically listings for directories. It has
no config file, just a few command line switches.

© Gerd Knorr

Were you expecting this or something else?

Old July 29th 06, 04:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Rudy Benner

Old July 29th 06, 04:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Celcius

ASAAR wrote:
[...]

Gerd,
Thanks for the info.
I was expecting a home page (the same way it was when I first used
their free services. On that page, they were telling people how to
proceed / set up their news readers to get the newsgroup through them
(nntp.aioe.org, port 119, etc.).
However, yesterday my groups didn't show new messages. I thought
perhaps going to their web page, there might be some sort of
explanation.
From what Rudy Benner is saying, there must be something wong on my end

of it...
Best regards,
Marcel

Old July 30th 06, 05:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,nz.general
[email protected]

Celcius wrote:
Hi all!
Sorry for the inconvenience, but I had to get on Google to post this
message.
I tried their home page, but I get "timed out"
Anyone knows anything?
Thanks,
Marcel

I have had the same problem for the past 24 hours (although I was
already set up on Google because nntp.aioe.org has never been entirely
reliable).

Oddly, the only post on rec.photo.digital through nntp.aioe.org in the
last 24 hours is a reply to ASAAR on this thread from Rudy timed 12 and
a half hours ago & saying "reply via nntp.aioe.org .... please ignore".
That post is NOT visible on Google, or on freenews.netfront.net (my
backup free read-only newserver for when nntp.org is having an off
day).

There is also a discussion of this issue on nz.general with half a
dozen posts, but that thread appears to be only available on the
nntp.aioe.org server, and that (along with a few other posts made by
nntp.aioe.org users) are the only posts visible on that group in the
past 24 hours through nntp.aioe.org.

So it appears that nntp.aioe.org is working, but that its connections
to all other news servers in the world have been severed

Apteryx

Old July 30th 06, 08:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On 29 Jul 2006 21:04:05 -0700, wrote:

Oddly, the only post on rec.photo.digital through nntp.aioe.org in the
last 24 hours is a reply to ASAAR on this thread from Rudy timed 12 and
a half hours ago & saying "reply via nntp.aioe.org .... please ignore".
That post is NOT visible on Google, or on freenews.netfront.net (my
backup free read-only newserver for when nntp.org is having an off
day).

It wasn't a reply to me. I just used copy and paste to show
part of the contents of the web page that I managed to get to by
doing what I described in the message. The last part of what was
pasted (as with the rest of what I pasted, it was as a quote) was:

© Gerd Knorr

So Gerd probably has no idea of the tempest brewing in this
teacup.

Oddly, the only post on rec.photo.digital through nntp.aioe.org in the
last 24 hours is a reply to ASAAR on this thread from Rudy timed 12 and
a half hours ago & saying "reply via nntp.aioe.org .... please ignore".
That post is NOT visible on Google, or on freenews.netfront.net (my
backup free read-only newserver for when nntp.org is having an off
day).

The only post I've seen from Rudy was the one he sent about about
15 minutes after my previous reply. But that wouldn't be surprising
if it was confined to nntp.aioe.org, which I also couldn't access.