Does this a object make photographs??

Old August 20th 05, 08:13 AM
Pete D

"David H. Lipman" wrote in message
news:chwNe.3308$_f.781@trnddc03...
From: "kz8rt3"

| Yes, I could have been more clear but I assure you it is on topic. Stop
| freaking out.
|
| But everyone missed the point so i'll drop it.
|
| Just wondering the the sensitize surface that the image is created on
| resides on a DSLR.

How can such a device be On Topic in a dSLR News Group or a 35mm film News
group.

Are you also saying that it takes recreational photos ?

NOT !

--

If they make it, someone will want one for themselves to play with, ipso
facto it will become recreational.

Like ummm, whatever dude. Whatever floats ya boat!

Old August 20th 05, 02:29 PM
Shawn Hirn

kz8rt3 wrote:

Does this a object make photographs??

Here is the a picture of the object: (sorry, it's small)

http://www.oksolar.com/images/Traffic_radar_trailer.jpg

And here are the specs:

http://www.oksolar.com/n_cart/produc...=160861&cat=Tr
affic&subcat=DOT%20Speed%20Awareness

A most advanced Portable Radar Speed Display System ever offered to the
Traffic Safety Industry.

* High efficiency/output 18-inch CMS LED display meets MUTCD
requirements ‹ 1000+ feet of visibility.
* Rugged, compact trailer enables easy towing and setup for highway
and Municipal applications.
* Extended mounting height of the radar
display and speed limit sign allows for greater
visibility and true MUTCD conformance.
* Solar Powered with Battery Back-up Systems.
* Violator alert and over-speed features are standard.
* ITS communication interfacing options available.
* Accessory device outputs for connecting extra warning lights
and/or sirens also available.

Think about it and how it is similar to digital camera technology.

Main Entry: pho·tog·ra·phy
Pronunciation: f&-'t-gr&-fE
Function: noun
: the art or process of producing images on a sensitized surface (as a
film) by the action of radiant energy and especially light

There are some similarities, but according to the definition you posted,
its not a camera that makes photographs, its a camera that senses motion.
Old August 20th 05, 04:47 PM
Marvin

kz8rt3 wrote:
[...]

It can't take pictures without a camera. They are used in my area to alert drivers that
they are speeding. If it directly led to speeding tickets, I'd know about it because the
grapevine and the local paper keep me informed. At most, it can send a message when a
speeding car is seen,but I doubt that would hold up in court in our area.
Old August 20th 05, 04:53 PM

In message ,
Marvin wrote:

It can't take pictures without a camera. They are used in my area to alert drivers that
they are speeding. If it directly led to speeding tickets, I'd know about it because the
grapevine and the local paper keep me informed. At most, it can send a message when a
speeding car is seen,but I doubt that would hold up in court in our area.

The scary thing about automated speed-enforcement is that it could be
done quite literally, whereas real police officers know that posted
limits are ridiculously low for low-to-medium volume on dry pavement in
good lighting on many stretches of road, and generally enforce only at
10 to 20 MPH above posted.

One stretch of parkway that I use to commute has a posted 45 MPH speed
limit, and the quality of pavement, width of lanes, etc, have nothing
about them to suggest a speed limit so low. If an automated system
ticketed people going 50 MPH, not only would everyone be getting
ticketed at first, but as soon as people started getting tickets and
driving 45 MPH, there would be massive traffic jams, rendering the road
unusable. It is only usable now because people ignore the ridiculous
posted limit and drive 60 to 75 MPH through the section.
--

John P Sheehy

Old August 20th 05, 05:29 PM
kz8rt3

"Frank ess" wrote:

Sheldon wrote:
Wow, are you ever in the wrong newsgroup. But, I doubt this is a
camera. We have them all over town. They just warn "you" to slow
down and take it easy.

Any cheap radar detector will find these things.

Lessee:
Detects four-dimensional real events.
Displays its interpretation in a visible medium.
"Set display modes are adjustable to your needs by use of easy to
operate switches"
Hmmm.

FINALLY! YES! Someone sees where I was going with this!

I might have better analogies in the future but I am going to word it
better and wait till these flames cool down . Peace.
Old August 20th 05, 05:38 PM
kz8rt3

Shawn Hirn wrote:

In article ,
kz8rt3 wrote:

[...]

I was thinking about the solar cells that collect light (cmos) and how
that light is turned into a digital signal (ACD) that stores energy
(flash card) then the device creates and image on the light display (LCD
Screen). It is not a representation of the scene (Well, it is a
representation or the scene regarding the speed of the car) but that is
what some camera's and techniques can do. It also sounds like the
technology behind digital.

I know, settle down everyone. It might be a stretch but I think it is
worth talking about. I am interest more in how I can be wrong.

Peace.
Old August 21st 05, 07:50 AM
Cockpit Colin

I've checked the accuracy of quite a few speedos - most over-read between 5
and 10%. All the radars in our neck of the woods appear to be spot on.

My other thought is that I'm wondering if the traffic display units keep any
sort of statistical analysis - so that (for example) "X" % of vehicles are
over the limit this fact gets reported, then next week we have the "real
thing" there, instead of the
placebo'.

"Jeremy Nixon" wrote in message
Colin D wrote:

No photos, but it has communication interfacing technology as a choice,
so the cop down the road can book you.

Which is problematic, considering how woefully inaccurate the ones I've
driven past have been at times.

--
Jeremy |

Old August 21st 05, 07:51 AM
Mark˛

"Cockpit Colin" wrote in message
I've checked the accuracy of quite a few speedos - most over-read between
5
and 10%. All the radars in our neck of the woods appear to be spot on.

My other thought is that I'm wondering if the traffic display units keep
any
sort of statistical analysis - so that (for example) "X" % of vehicles are
over the limit this fact gets reported, then next week we have the "real
thing" there, instead of the
placebo'.

My understanding it that this is done as you describe in some cases.
Often it is brought on my complaining residents who feel their children are
at risk, etc.
They'll do a "study" of sorts, and then start nailing people until it gains
a reputation for police presence.
It's fairly efective, so long as they continue to appear for enforcement
from time to time.

Old August 21st 05, 09:29 PM

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 18:50:21 +1200, "Cockpit Colin"
wrote:

I've checked the accuracy of quite a few speedos - most over-read between 5
and 10%. All the radars in our neck of the woods appear to be spot on.

My other thought is that I'm wondering if the traffic display units keep any
sort of statistical analysis - so that (for example) "X" % of vehicles are
over the limit this fact gets reported, then next week we have the "real
thing" there, instead of the
placebo'.

That could be a two-edged sword. Some places have a law that,
despite a lower posted limit, the limit must be raised if some
percentage (about 85%, IIRC) of cars are routinely exceeding the
limit. Supposed to prevent setting up speed traps.

Old August 22nd 05, 03:16 AM
William Graham

"Cockpit Colin" wrote in message
I've checked the accuracy of quite a few speedos - most over-read between
5
and 10%. All the radars in our neck of the woods appear to be spot on.

My other thought is that I'm wondering if the traffic display units keep
any
sort of statistical analysis - so that (for example) "X" % of vehicles are
over the limit this fact gets reported, then next week we have the "real
thing" there, instead of the
placebo'.

If they get too fancy, people will steal them....They make great pitching
aids.....You can practice your fastball into them......