Dead Rebel

Old July 31st 05, 03:28 PM
Bill Stone

Default Dead Rebel

I recently purchased a Canon Rebel XT. I enjoyed using the camera for about
a week, until it started acting unreliable (pushing the shutter button - it
wouldn't take a picture, strange icons, like "busy" would appear and stay on
until restart). About a day later, it died completely and I returned it.

The question is, should I buy another of the same? Is there a known
reliability issue with this camera? I haven't seen reference to reliability
issues in the reviews.

Thanks in advance.

Old July 31st 05, 07:57 PM
Vince

Well I think you just got 1 out of a million. you are the first person to
get one that went dead, never heard of it. it's your choice if you would
like to just replace it with the same or get a different camera. I have hade
my XT for a while and love it never had any problems with it and the photos
are lovely. am sure others with the XT will tell you the same. again it's
your choice. good luck...

Vince...

Old July 31st 05, 09:07 PM
Charles Schuler

"Bill Stone" wrote in message
I recently purchased a Canon Rebel XT. I enjoyed using the camera for
about a week, until it started acting unreliable (pushing the shutter
button - it wouldn't take a picture, strange icons, like "busy" would
appear and stay on until restart). About a day later, it died completely
and I returned it.

The question is, should I buy another of the same? Is there a known
reliability issue with this camera? I haven't seen reference to
reliability issues in the reviews.

I read several Canon forums and will say that your problem is unusual. All
in all, it has so far proven to be very reliable.

Old August 1st 05, 07:12 AM
Stacey

Vince wrote:

Well I think you just got 1 out of a million. you are the first person to
get one that went dead,

LOL

--

Stacey
Old August 1st 05, 07:52 PM

Bill Stone wrote:

The question is, should I buy another of the same? Is there a known
reliability issue with this camera? I haven't seen reference to reliability
issues in the reviews.

It's a conspiracy, Mr. Stone. This is how it works: anyone who
reviews a Canon camera, and notes reliability issues or other negative
aspects of the equipment, is hunted down by the Canon Assassination
Methods Extreme Reaction Agency - CAMERA) to be dealt with.

Sadly, your report here in r.p.d.s-s will likely count as a negative
review. Fortunately, the Agency members who will be visiting can you
shortly will be compelled to demonstrate mercy if you show them a
receipt for a new camera, as well as utter a solemn promise to speak
only Goodness about Canon equipment for the remainder of your life.

Old August 3rd 05, 05:42 PM
David A

"Bill Stone" wrote in message
I recently purchased a Canon Rebel XT. I enjoyed using the camera for
about a week, until it started acting unreliable (pushing the shutter
button - it wouldn't take a picture, strange icons, like "busy" would
appear and stay on until restart). About a day later, it died completely
and I returned it.

The question is, should I buy another of the same? Is there a known
reliability issue with this camera? I haven't seen reference to
reliability issues in the reviews.

Thanks in advance.

I would consider upgrading, or get a different brand.

The Rebel EOS has (not sure about the XT) a **plastic** piece that actuates
the autofocus submirror. Mine broke at 2 months out of warrantee and 9000
clicks. Two local camera shops said the topic is starting to show up in the
repair tech world, as more and more of the Rebel's are starting to break
this part. The higher end camera's (Canon) have a metal piece, not plastic.
The reviews said that the Rebel was the same as the higher end camera's
except the plastic body and some firmware disabled - this isn't entirely
true. ------- If the XT has a plastic part -------- you might get 10,000
clicks, maybe 30,000. I got 9k. BTW, its a $200 fix. I would spend the $200,
or a little more, now, and get a better camera.

For you Rebel users (entry level digital SLR camera's in general) out there,
STOP tossing out hundreds of clicks left and right, indiscrimately with your
gig CF cards and all. Your camera is a time bomb and it won't last as long
as you think.

my opinion - David A.

Old August 20th 05, 05:57 PM
Charlie

Mr. David A., which you says is absolutely real, my Canon Digital Rebel
(non XT) let autofocus to the 7 months of use, I replaced it by a new
camera and now I have again the problem. I meet at least 3 with the
this problem. I believe that Canon it would have to replace in its
service this part of the submirror with a piece of metal, not plastic.

Charlie M

Old August 20th 05, 08:01 PM

Do you have a name for this part? I suppose it affects the 300D as
well?

T.

Old August 22nd 05, 09:53 PM
David A

wrote in message
oups.com...
Do you have a name for this part? I suppose it affects the 300D as
well?

T.

Somebody emailed a schematic thing to me awhile back, but I didn't look at
it closely. I believe the part is called an *Actuator Cam* and it relates to
autofocus sub mirror.

If yours is broke, the autofocus mirror hangs down and blocks 2/3's of the
picture. NOTE - if you physically move it up and put a little piece of tape
on it so it stays up - you can continue to use the camera in manual focus
mode

If you take the lens off and move the mirror unit you see up and down, you
will see a mirror behind it that moves up and down with front mirror, and
then you can see the mechanism that connects the two.

I can't see mine anymore, because mine is broke.

Old August 23rd 05, 01:56 AM
Charlie

that is real, for me it was not necessary to put a tape to it, single
with accommodating it with the finger it changes of one to another
position and continues focusing or blocking the 2/3 of the photo.