LR rejects large files

Old September 22nd 15, 09:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default LR rejects large files

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

What do you mean by "libraries"? All images uploaded to LR will be
viewable in the Library module, and there is only one Library module.

wrong. lightroom supports as many libraries as you want.
Old September 22nd 15, 09:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2015-09-22 10:38, PeterN wrote:
I finally dipped in my toe and imported my first group of 34,000 +
images into LR. All seemed to go well until at the end I got an error
message stating that 2 files were too large to import. Unfortunately,
the message did not identify the files. In the past there were several
files that were too large to save, and I fixed that by reducing the
pixels on the longest side. (IIRC they were panos.)
Has anyone here run into that. If I am going to use LR it would be nice
have them all.

The largest image space for LR is 65535 x 65535 pixels. Which at base
would suggest 3 x 65535^2 bytes (uncompressed). 12 GB.

Could it be you inadvertently included files that are not in fact images?

While anything can happen, I doubt it. This images were all in folder
created in Bridge. I painstakingly renamed each of the folders so I
could use LR's find functionality. One of my thoughts is to do a global
for any .psb files.

Just sort your directories by file size. Anything that is unusually
large will stand out. Indeed you may have a utility that already
specializes in locating unusually large, dormant files. (I used to have
such on Windows - can't recall the name).

Old September 22nd 15, 09:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-09-22 20:07:27 +0000, nospam said:

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

What do you mean by "libraries"? All images uploaded to LR will be
viewable in the Library module, and there is only one Library module.

wrong. lightroom supports as many libraries as you want.

As many Catalogues as you want in the single Library module. Do not
confuse Catalogues with the Library module of which there is only one.
Within those catalogues you can have the primary folders and
Collections and Smart Collections which are managed within a particular
Catalogue.

Savageduck

Old September 22nd 15, 09:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Savageduck wrote:

What do you mean by "libraries"? All images uploaded to LR will be
viewable in the Library module, and there is only one Library module.

wrong. lightroom supports as many libraries as you want.

As many Catalogues as you want in the single Library module. Do not
confuse Catalogues with the Library module of which there is only one.
Within those catalogues you can have the primary folders and
Collections and Smart Collections which are managed within a particular
Catalogue.

lightroom calls it a catalog. iphoto/photos calls it a library.
Old September 22nd 15, 09:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2015-09-22 10:38, PeterN wrote:
[...]

Re-importing, as I suggested, would be the easier route. You don't
actually re-import anything, though. You just use that method to see
which files are not greyed out and then cancel.

Could be. Absent that - since the error message refers to file size as
the error, I'd look into the file properties.

Old September 22nd 15, 09:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-09-22 20:25:46 +0000, nospam said:

Savageduck wrote:

What do you mean by "libraries"? All images uploaded to LR will be
viewable in the Library module, and there is only one Library module.

wrong. lightroom supports as many libraries as you want.

As many Catalogues as you want in the single Library module. Do not
confuse Catalogues with the Library module of which there is only one.
Within those catalogues you can have the primary folders and
Collections and Smart Collections which are managed within a particular
Catalogue.

lightroom calls it a catalog. iphoto/photos calls it a library.

So? Are we discussing Lightroom or something which should never be
mentioned again, iPhoto/Photos?

This is the first, and I hope only time we will hear of iPhoto/Photos
in this thread.

Savageduck

Old September 22nd 15, 09:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Savageduck wrote:

What do you mean by "libraries"? All images uploaded to LR will be
viewable in the Library module, and there is only one Library module.

wrong. lightroom supports as many libraries as you want.

As many Catalogues as you want in the single Library module. Do not
confuse Catalogues with the Library module of which there is only one.
Within those catalogues you can have the primary folders and
Collections and Smart Collections which are managed within a particular
Catalogue.

lightroom calls it a catalog. iphoto/photos calls it a library.

So? Are we discussing Lightroom or something which should never be
mentioned again, iPhoto/Photos?

the point is that there is more than one word for the same thing.
Old September 22nd 15, 09:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2015-09-22 20:25:46 +0000, nospam said:

Savageduck wrote:

What do you mean by "libraries"? All images uploaded to LR will be
viewable in the Library module, and there is only one Library module.

wrong. lightroom supports as many libraries as you want.

As many Catalogues as you want in the single Library module. Do not
confuse Catalogues with the Library module of which there is only one.
Within those catalogues you can have the primary folders and
Collections and Smart Collections which are managed within a particular
Catalogue.

lightroom calls it a catalog. iphoto/photos calls it a library.

So? Are we discussing Lightroom or something which should never be
mentioned again, iPhoto/Photos?

This is the first, and I hope only time we will hear of iPhoto/Photos in
this thread.

Or any other. Hang on. Last word he

IAC, Photos has been useful for me to put photos onto my iPhone. Not
many mind you ...

Old September 22nd 15, 09:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-09-22 20:45:14 +0000, nospam said:

Savageduck wrote:

What do you mean by "libraries"? All images uploaded to LR will be
viewable in the Library module, and there is only one Library module.

wrong. lightroom supports as many libraries as you want.

As many Catalogues as you want in the single Library module. Do not
confuse Catalogues with the Library module of which there is only one.
Within those catalogues you can have the primary folders and
Collections and Smart Collections which are managed within a particular
Catalogue.

lightroom calls it a catalog. iphoto/photos calls it a library.

So? Are we discussing Lightroom or something which should never be
mentioned again, iPhoto/Photos?

the point is that there is more than one word for the same thing.

However, since we are discussing Lightroom there but one convention;
Library Module + Catalogs. Within those Catalogs, folders, Collections,
and Smart Collections.
Who cares that Apple uses the words differently for apps they managed
to mangle beyond functionality for any serious photographer?

The LR Library Module is not a LR Catalog and a LR Catalog is not a LR
Collection/Smart Collection.

Savageduck

Old September 22nd 15, 09:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Alan Browne
wrote:

This is the first, and I hope only time we will hear of iPhoto/Photos in
this thread.

Or any other. Hang on. Last word he

IAC, Photos has been useful for me to put photos onto my iPhone. Not
many mind you ...

that's about all it's useful for.