Will need new printer

Old September 18th 15, 07:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Will need new printer ...progress report

On 2015-09-18 16:34:54 +0000, philo said:

The new printer arrived early this morning...in considerably less than
48 hours...and we did not even specify "rush".

Wife is now initializing it and I put the old printer out in the alley
for the scavengers. Someone took it within an hour...must have some
scrap value.

What sort of neighborhood do you live in?

Our scavengers are racoons and possums, None of our possums are big
enough to get a photo printer in their pouch, and I don't think there is
a printer tasty enough for a racoon.

I live in Milwaukee, within easy walking distance of a good neighborhood.

Also near the Milwaukee River and not too far from Lake Michigan.

We get an assortment of scavengers...raccoons, 'possums, groundhogs etc
and also the human variety.

The humans go after scrap metal and electronic scrap.

I guess one of my friends talked to one of those "pickup truck" guys
and they said they could get about $50 a truckload. I don't know how
much they spend on gas but it must be worth it.

Anyway my wife just ran off the first few test prints and they are damn
well perfect. The printed image looked even better than what the
monitor showed...so instead of tweaking the printer settings, she
tweaked the monitor just a tad.

Great!
It might be worth investing in a calibration device for your
monitor/display at some stage.

One color and one B&W

The B&W was better than the old R1800 and not even a trace of color tinge.

Thanks a million for the great advice and now my wife can get back to work...

I know you work in B&W, I am not aware of the type of color work your
wife does, but for a startling effect and final product in color,
consider trying some papers other than the very good Epson papers.

For anybody doing color work, where a print that stands out from the
crowd is wanted, I highly recommend Red River Papers, Polar Pearl
Metallic, and/or Ilford Galerie Prestige Smooth Pearl and Galerie
Prestige Metallic Gloss (I haven't tried any of Ilford's other papers)
Both companies have printer/paper icc profiles available for download.

http://www.redrivercatalog.com/browse/photo-metallic-inkjet-glossy-media-paper-metal.html
http://www.ilford.com/products/photo-inkjet/galerie-prestige

BTW:

Red River has an 8"x11.5" sample pack of all of their papers.

While we are at it, we cleaned up her desk too and made the layour less
cluttered.

Without clutter I am lost.

Savageduck

Old September 18th 15, 07:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
philo

On 2015-09-18 16:34:54 +0000, philo said:

[...]

Her desk will stay uncluttered for about 15 minutes

BTW: Thanks for the tip on paper to use.

Though Epson paper has worked fine...we may try some of the above.
Old September 18th 15, 08:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
philo

On 09/18/2015 02:43 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:

I don't normally pick things up, but a few years ago someone had set
out a homemade copy stand out and I grabbed it. At the time, I was
considering the purchase of a copy stand and had looked into some
prices on the web.

I'm still using that copy stand.

It's not that different from this one at $1,653.95 from B&H.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...A=details& Q=
Mine has an ordinary metal pipe like you'd buy from the plumbing
department at Home Depot for the vertical part and a collar that has a
thumb-screw to tighten it in position. The base is 3/4" plywood
covered with a veneer of some sort. The part that holds the camera is
a standard camera plate that the builder of this copy stand evidently
scavenged from something else. It's quite well made.

My daughter scored a baker's rack from streetside a while back,
repainted it, and uses it outside for her collection of cactus plants.

Hey, if you see something tossed out and can use it...why the heck not?

Because I'm good at fixing things I pick up a lot of good stuff that
typically takes ten minutes to fix.

Once my neighbor threw out a broken picnic table bench and I repaired it
and put it back in her yard. She used it for many more years and about
ten years later I told her what I did ...she got a good laugh.

OTOH: Lately I've been getting rid of a lot of things I don't need. Gave
my ten speed away as I had not used it in 15 years!

Anyway , my wife is now catching up from her two days without a printer!
Old September 18th 15, 09:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

Old September 18th 15, 09:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 9/18/2015 2:03 PM, Savageduck wrote:

snip

Without clutter I am lost.

My secretary and my receptionist decided to neaten up my office. In the
process of neatening they moved my trash can. I was oblivious to the
change. Later that day there was a pile of waste paper in the exact spot
where my trash can had been.

--
PeterN
Old September 18th 15, 09:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

http://www.amazon.com/neat-desk-sign-sick-mind/dp/0896360474

--
PeterN
Old September 20th 15, 08:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

Default Will need new printer ... add'l ?

On 9/17/15 PDT 11:31 AM, nospam wrote:
In article , philo
wrote:

If I do B&W only does the printer also use the color ink.

no. that's what b/w only means.

however, some printer drivers do not actually offer that option.

My wife thinks that if I use it for B&W only I may end up running the
color cartridges out as well.

she is mistaken. they will not be used.

This is patently wrong for any number of printers.

however, the colour inks may not fare well if left unused. you want to
print *something* in colour every once in a while.

That is sound.

What printer is in question here??

Old September 20th 15, 08:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
philo

On 09/20/2015 02:19 AM, John McWilliams wrote:
olour inks may not fare well if left unused. you want to
print *something* in colour every once in a while.

That is sound.

What printer is in question here??

Moot point as printer has been recycled and "no spam" has been kfed
Old September 20th 15, 11:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , John McWilliams
wrote:

My wife thinks that if I use it for B&W only I may end up running the
color cartridges out as well.

she is mistaken. they will not be used.

This is patently wrong for any number of printers.

it's patently right for any number of printers, including epson.
Old September 20th 15, 10:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Me

On 20/09/2015 22:21, nospam wrote:
In article , John McWilliams
wrote:

My wife thinks that if I use it for B&W only I may end up running the
color cartridges out as well.

she is mistaken. they will not be used.

This is patently wrong for any number of printers.

it's patently right for any number of printers, including epson.

it's patently wrong for the R1800/2400, 3880,and P600/800 discussed in
this thread.