Vacation Photos - 2007 X Prize - Holloman AFB Air & Space Expo

Old November 15th 07, 02:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital, alt.photography
Pooua

Default Vacation Photos - 2007 X Prize - Holloman AFB Air & Space Expo

I took a 1-week vacation from my day job to travel to the 2007 X Prize/
Holloman AFB Air & Space Expo in October. I attended the event on
Friday, October 26 and Saturday, October 27. I took the opportunity on
this trip to rent photo equipment that I could not possibly afford to
buy, and I was determined to photograph everything I could for that
week. I ended up with more than 5,000 photos of the entire trip, of
which more than 3,000 were of the X Prize Expo. The equipment at my
disposal included:

(1) Canon 20D (8.2 MP)
(1) Canon Digital Rebel XTi (10.2 MP)
(1) Canon 1Ds Mark II (16.7 MP)
(1) Canon 10-22 mm f:3.5-4.5 EF-S lens
(1) Canon 16-35 mm f:2.8 Mark II L lens
(1) Canon 20 mm f:2.8 lens
(1) Canon 28-135 mm f:3.5-5.6 lens
(1) Canon 28-300 mm f:3.5-5.6 L lens
(2) Canon 50 mm f:1.4 lenses
(1) Canon 75-300 mm f:4-5.6 Mark III lens
(1) Loreo 3D Lens-in-cap

So far, I have posted only photos from the 2007 X Prize online. I
edited, cropped and resized them, so most of the online photos are
only 500 or 800 pixels on the longest side. Of course, I still have
the originals (and even the edited original crops), at much larger
resolutions.

http://picasaweb.google.com/Imagebuf...CupOctober2627

This was a new experience for me. I haven't even seen some of this
equipment in person before this trip. It was fantastic playing with
it!

I have a question regarding the flight of Armadillo Aerospace's lunar
lander. Of course, none of us were allowed to get very close to the
launch site. I did the best I could at 300 mm, but the photos are not
as clear as I would have liked. Much of the distortion is unavoidable
atmospheric phenomina, largely due to the great distance at a low
angle over hot, dusty ground. I'm wondering, though, if I could get
significantly better photos with a different lens?

I hope you enjoy looking at my photos.