Need Camera Advice For Event

Old September 19th 07, 06:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Pooua

Default Need Camera Advice For Event

I plan to travel out-of-state to an event that will have lots of
outdoor exhibits, and I will also travel through a lot of scenic
areas. I already use a Canon 20D, and I have a 20 mm singlet and 2
zoom lenses (one out to 300 mm), but I want to do a little more. I
would like to get a a Canon EF-S Canon EF-S 10-22mm lens. I would
really like to take some stereoscopic photos, but I'm debating how to
go about this. I could buy another Canon 20D and mount both on a bar,
but I would like to get a nicer camera than my 20D, and I would have
to buy a lens, too. I could buy a Canon 40D, but I don't know how well
images from 2 different models of cameras would turn out for
stereoscopic work. I could buy the very nice 3DWorld Medium Format
Stereo Camera, though dealing with film is a nuisance.

I am looking for suggestions of what would be a workable arrangement,
given these considerations.

Thank you.

Old September 19th 07, 06:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sue Ridge

"Pooua" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

I think you just posted here to puff out your chest....................look
what I can afford.

Old September 19th 07, 09:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Pooua

On Sep 19, 12:37 am, "Sue Ridge" wrote:
"Pooua" wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

I'm sorry that you have that impression, particularly because none of
the equipment I mentioned is all that expensive. I mean, I would be
much, much more impressed with a Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III, the body of
which by itself costs about twice more than all the other equipment I
mentioned combined. But, even that is not the most expensive of
hobbies. What people spend on cigarettes, alcoholic beverages, fast
food or pet supplies--never mind private aviation or even computer
equipment--far outweighs these few, meager items that I have listed.
Actually, I feel a little naked walking into a major expo carrying
just a Canon 20D. So, no, your impression is incorrect.

Old September 19th 07, 01:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Juan R. Pollo

If your subjects will be stationary, then a simple "cha-cha" method will
work. Shoot once, shift according to stereo effect desired, and shoot again.
Normal shift is generally accepted as 1/30 the distance to the subject.
Beware that a stereo shot of the Grand Canyon looks an awful lot like a flat
photo. Scenics need a wide separation to produce depth effect (hyperstereo),
but that depth comes at the expense of distorting the scene and making it
look like a miniature model.

If moving subjects, you have a few options. I am very partial towards
vintage equipment for its simplicity, quality and economy, although
post-processing can be time consuming. Shooting Kodachrome will produce
slides that will last for generations, with outstanding resolution found in
lower ISO. Regarding camera pairs, I have seen excellent results with pairs
of modest digicams, but the trick is synchronizing them. A Lanc Shepherd
device will produce outstanding results with Lanc-equipped cameras. All the
pairs I've seen have been taken with identical cameras.

There are many excellent websites dealing with stereo photography, and you
may want to post your question in the Yahoo 3-d group and
alt.binaries.pictures.stereo. I have also seen David Littleboy pop in here
every now and then, he knows a thing or two about stereo. Good luck.

Juan R. Pollo

ups.com...

Old September 19th 07, 11:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Frank ess

Pooua wrote:
[...]

I've had excellent results with the 10-22; it's really an essential
for Canon 1.6 sensor cameras, my view.

See if these guys have anything of use to you:
http://loreo.com/pages/products/loreo_3dcap.html

I ordered their 3-D cap and it was deliverred in eight days, to
Southern California. Haven't used it yet. Life keeps interfering with
my recreation.

--
Frank ess

Old September 19th 07, 11:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Pooua

On Sep 19, 3:40 pm, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:
I really like the 10-22 A very nice lens for the money

I recall a device that screwed onto the lens like a filter and used a
standard lens and a few mirrors to get a split stereo image.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Yes, I own a Loreo lens-in-cap for my film camera. It does OK, but the
field of view is too narrow. It is like taking photographs through a
keyhole. I imagine the effect is even worse for a digital camera w/
its smaller sensor.

Old September 20th 07, 12:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Pooua

On Sep 19, 7:10 am, "Juan R. Pollo" wrote:
If your subjects will be stationary, then a simple "cha-cha" method will
work.

I use that method, but it is difficult for me to keep the camera
stably pointed straight ahead for both shots with only a horizontal
transition. A bar would help, of course.

Some objects would be stationary, and others would be moving. Some are
probably out of scope for stereoscopic photography. I am going to an
air and rocket show.

[snip]

A Lanc Shepherd
device will produce outstanding results with Lanc-equipped cameras.

Unfortunately, most cameras do not indicate whether they have a Lanc
port. In fact, I could not simply go looking for lanc-equipped
cameras. Even if I could, I consider the Lanc Shepherd a pricey piece
of equipment (about $400). I did see something that would do the
trick, and also could do time-lapse photography. That might be nice. I
just need to be able to justify spending $400 on it.

There are many excellent websites dealing with stereo photography, and you
may want to post your question in the Yahoo 3-d group and
alt.binaries.pictures.stereo.

This is a little off-topic, but people aren't supposed to post
questions to binary newsgroups. The idea behind the binary group is
that it is for code. But, people do it quite often. Some binary groups
are hardly anything but discussion forums.

I have also seen David Littleboy pop in here
every now and then, he knows a thing or two about stereo. Good luck.

Juan R. Pollo

Thanks for the information.

Old September 20th 07, 12:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Pooua

On Sep 19, 5:18 pm, "Frank ess" wrote:
Pooua wrote:
[...]

Thanks, I appreciate your opinion of this lens.

See if these guys have anything of use to you:http://loreo.com/pages/products/loreo_3dcap.html

I ordered their 3-D cap and it was deliverred in eight days, to
Southern California. Haven't used it yet. Life keeps interfering with
my recreation.

I've been using my Loreo 3D cap for about 2 years on my film camera.
It works OK, but the field-of-view is narrow, like looking through a
keyhole. The people in my office are impressed with the results.