Rant about the term "ZLR"

Old December 3rd 05, 05:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.zlr

Default Rant about the term "ZLR"

millereric wrote:
What fun! All you guys explaining physics are missing the point.
Of course, physicists know that the charge on an electron is negative
and electrons flow from the negative to positive terminals of a
power source. But, any dufus can tell you that things naturally flow
from where there's more (+) to where there's less (-). And there are
a lot more dufuses than physicists in the world.

Okay, I'm not going to get into name calling, but does this mean that
dufus's think that rivers flow from the ocean onto land where there is less
(-) water?

Nah, dufuses know that water flows downhill. But they don't want to
be confused by things like capillary action or diffusion. :-)

As to name calling, most of us are dufuses at something. It's part
of what makes humanity so funny. I'm reminded of the old Firesign
Theater sketch with the two guys in red noses and orange hair talking
on the bus. One guy looks around and says to the other, "I think
we're all Bozos on this bus." When viewed from the right brain, it's
so true.

Paul Allen
Old December 3rd 05, 06:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.zlr

On Sat, 03 Dec 2005 09:48:32 -0800, Paul Allen, a well known dwarf
crusher wrote:

Okay, I'm not going to get into name calling, but . . .

As to name calling, most of us are dufuses at something. It's part
of what makes humanity so funny. I'm reminded of the old Firesign
Theater sketch with the two guys in red noses and orange hair talking
on the bus. One guy looks around and says to the other, "I think
we're all Bozos on this bus." When viewed from the right brain, it's
so true.

May I see your passport, please?

Old December 3rd 05, 06:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.zlr

David J Taylor wrote:

I suppose, pedantically, you caould even say that the LCD is mounted
upside-down!

I reckon it's the sensor that's upside-down. That's the way
I'd do it

- Len
Old December 3rd 05, 06:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.zlr

David J Taylor wrote:

I suppose, pedantically, you caould even say that the LCD is mounted
upside-down!

I've been using a view camera for so long that the world outside of the
camera looks up-side-down.

Old December 4th 05, 12:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.zlr

On Fri, 2 Dec 2005 20:44:41 -0600, "millereric"
wrote:

The past is fixed, and we are far too few to alter established usage.
The best we can do is to avoid making matters worse. Let's not adopt
terms that are counter-intuitive, technically wrong, and, well, stupid.

This I agree with this. Some made up words and phrases are just silly. Like
"chicken fried chicken."

If we're still tossing out coinages, let's also get rid of all
-thons not referring to a ~27-mile race. Before I start a pukeathon.
Old December 4th 05, 12:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.zlr

On Sat, 03 Dec 2005 17:57:29 +1300, Colin D
wrote:

millereric wrote:

"Bryan Olson" wrote in message

snip

Electricity is the flow of electrons; strangely
that flow is from negative charge to positive.

Why does logic dictate that electrons move in the opposite direction? All
other thing being equal, wouldn't there be fewer electrons in the place from
which the electrons are coming than in the place to which they are going?
An East wind blows to the West, is that also problematic?

Logic doesn't dictate electron movement. Electrons do flow from
negative to positive, i.e. the negative terminal of a power source
supplies electrons that flow around the circuitry and return to the
positive terminal.

There are a number of ways to prove this; the easiest is to consider a
vacuum tube. The heated cathode is the supplier of electrons, and the
charge on the anode draws them across the vacuum (controlled by
intermediate electrodes called grids and/or screens). The cathode is
connected to the negative side of the power supply, and the anode to the
positive, so electrons flow from negative to positive.

Colin D.

Circular definition. It still is governed by the original
erroneous nomenclature.
Old December 4th 05, 12:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.zlr

On Sat, 3 Dec 2005 07:07:33 -0600, "millereric"
wrote:

What fun! All you guys explaining physics are missing the point.
Of course, physicists know that the charge on an electron is negative
and electrons flow from the negative to positive terminals of a
power source. But, any dufus can tell you that things naturally flow
from where there's more (+) to where there's less (-). And there are
a lot more dufuses than physicists in the world.

Okay, I'm not going to get into name calling, but does this mean that
dufus's think that rivers flow from the ocean onto land where there is less
(-) water?

Eric Miller

It should work. For an example, Google "darksucker".
Old December 4th 05, 12:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.zlr

On Fri, 2 Dec 2005 20:59:46 -0800, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:

"millereric" wrote:
This I agree with this. Some made up words and phrases are just silly.

Like
"chicken fried chicken."

"Hot Water Heater"

Jon

ATM machine

The El Camino

Three AM in the morning.

Pin number

Old December 4th 05, 12:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.zlr

On Sat, 03 Dec 2005 01:06:52 -0500, ASAAR wrote:

On Fri, 2 Dec 2005 20:44:41 -0600, millereric wrote:

Compulsive workers are "workaholics", even though there is
no such thing as "workahol".

OK, you got me on that one.

Shouldn't. "aholic" started as a suffix to describe the alky
that's addicted to the stuff. Even though it's kinda stupid to
append "aholic" to those addicted to "work", we do it because people
"get" the connection, and what it's trying to convey. Same thing
with "gate" being appended to all sorts of scandals that have
nothing to do with the Watergate Hotel. People hear the word "gate"
and "get" the connection to a "scandal" of some sort. KoreaGate,
MonicaGate, PlameGate, etc.

-aholicgate