fast action shooting, FZ10, S1, other?

Old July 1st 04, 11:38 AM
Pierre_Cat

Default fast action shooting, FZ10, S1, other?

Hello,

I'm looking for an affordable camera to shoot fast action (sport) at
long distance (400mm tele range in 35mm). It seems that the Panasonic
FZ10 and Canon S1 are the closest fit for my needs, but it is a tough
choice:

FZ10:

- no raw
- frozen view on burst shooting
- limited to 5 shots in a raw in burst shooting
- low video rez 320x240 (but 30fps) vs. 640x480@30fps on S1
+ 12x zoom (vs 10x on S1)
+ higher quality zoom
+ 4mp vs. 3.2mp for S1
- SD (vs CF on S1)
- proprietary battery (vs. AA on S1)

I had an initial preference for the FZ10, but some points keep me
hesitating:

- is the frozen view on burst shooting a major problem (when needing
to pan to follow an action), is it possible to accomodate to that?
- how long does it take for the camera to get ready for a new burst
after a first one? does it depends on the brand of SD card used?

One camera that always impressed me for action shooting was the Oly
100RS with its unique "pre-capture" feature, that allowed continuous
shooting over a cycling buffer. Is there today another camera that
offers such a feature?

Finally, which is the closest (higher end) camera that would has the
advantages of the FZ10 without the mentioned limitations?

P.
Old July 1st 04, 03:30 PM
John McWilliams

Pierre_Cat wrote:
[...]

For sports, I'd not be satisfied with anything less than a dSLR. The
Canon 10D and the Nikon D70 are the ones to look at:
http://www.dpreview.com/ go to the side by side comparisons.

Bonne chance!

--
John McWilliams
Old July 1st 04, 03:48 PM
Phil Wheeler

John McWilliams wrote:
Pierre_Cat wrote:

Hello,

I'm looking for an affordable camera to shoot fast action (sport) at
long distance (400mm tele range in 35mm). It seems that the Panasonic
FZ10 and Canon S1 are the closest fit for my needs, but it is a tough
choice:

For sports, I'd not be satisfied with anything less than a dSLR. The
Canon 10D and the Nikon D70 are the ones to look at:
http://www.dpreview.com/ go to the side by side comparisons.

Agree. The others are not good re shutter delay.

Phil

Old July 1st 04, 04:05 PM
John McWilliams

John McWilliams wrote:

Pierre_Cat wrote:

[...]

Aurooff! I misspoke- should have said the Canon 300 D, aka Digital
Rebel, which is more of an entry level dSLR than the other Canon entry
less than $1500.
--
John McWilliams
Old July 1st 04, 04:18 PM
Zebedee

There's the Canon pro-1 which is 8mp. I'd suggest though that a DSLR is
better. Don't go for the amateur DSLRs though - they tend to be cut-price,
cut-quality. Personally, I do so little sport that I use film for it and use
digital for everything else.

--
Yours

Zebedee

(Claiming asylum in an attempt
to escape paying his debts to
Dougal and Florence)

Old July 1st 04, 05:28 PM
bagal

Groovy Pierre-Cat

Let us know what you decide to buy

It would be really cool to see some shots too

I am sure you are asking the same questions as many and who know whom it may
help :-)

das B

om...

Old July 1st 04, 05:29 PM
Baron Sloan

"John McWilliams" wrote in message

For sports, I'd not be satisfied with anything less than a dSLR. The
Canon 10D and the Nikon D70 are the ones to look at:
http://www.dpreview.com/ go to the side by side comparisons.

I think the phrase "I'm looking for an affordable camera" would tend
to exclude the trotting out of the daily "buy a dSLR" diatribe.

A dSLR plus an equivalent zoom to an FZ10 or S1 would be fine if you
have a very large disposable income, but could hardly be described as
affordable to most people.

Old July 2nd 04, 02:34 AM
Phil Wheeler

Real issue for sports/action is shutter delay. Seems like dSLRs are
only ones fast enough on the trigger.

Phil