Has your memory card ever worn out?

Old July 26th 12, 01:10 PM posted to rec.video.desktop,rec.photo.digital,rec.audio.pro
Wolfgang Weisselberg

Default Has your memory card ever worn out?

nospam wrote:
In article , William Sommerwerck
wrote:

Windows creates what used to be called a swap file that is continually
written to and read from. I don't want that on my SSD. Fortunately, you can
tell Windows where to put it.

you absolutely want swap on ssd because it's significantly faster than
hd. stop worrying about wearing out ssd. you'll be wanting to replace
the computer with a better model long before an ssd wears out.

I happen to have a 3 year old laptop with an SSD. The SSD has
long passed it's calculated write allowance. (Ask S.M.A.R.T.)
Yes, it's still working, no, any warranty for it has died with
passing that write allowance.

The SSD has the swap.

-Wolfgang
Old July 27th 12, 12:29 PM posted to rec.video.desktop,rec.photo.digital,rec.audio.pro
William Sommerwerck

I happen to have a 3 year old laptop with an SSD.
The SSD has long passed its calculated write
allowance.

If that's the case, I'd be thinking about replacing it.

(Ask S.M.A.R.T.)

SMART is not considered an accurate predicter of SSD failure.

Old July 27th 12, 05:40 PM posted to rec.video.desktop,rec.photo.digital,rec.audio.pro
nospam

wrote:

(Ask S.M.A.R.T.)

SMART is not considered an accurate predicter of SSD failure.

that depends. if smart says there's a problem, then failure is
imminent.

however, if smart *doesn't* say there's a problem, that doesn't mean
that it isn't going to fail. it might fail tomorrow, or it might last
much longer. no way to know.
Old July 31st 12, 08:36 PM posted to rec.video.desktop,rec.photo.digital,rec.audio.pro
Wolfgang Weisselberg

William Sommerwerck wrote:
I happen to have a 3 year old laptop with an SSD.
The SSD has long passed its calculated write
allowance.

If that's the case, I'd be thinking about replacing it.

So you're an expert for SSDs?

(Ask S.M.A.R.T.)

SMART is not considered an accurate predicter of SSD failure.

Please direct me to the URLs where SSD manufacturers (plural)
say that.

-Wolfgang