Has your memory card ever worn out?

Old July 30th 12, 12:21 AM posted to rec.video.desktop,rec.photo.digital,rec.audio.pro
nospam

Default Has your memory card ever worn out?

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

Where can I find out the difference between Elements and full
Photoshop? Where can I find out what I lose/gain by buying Elements
(or Lightroom etc) rather than Photoshop? At the moment I feel as
though I am expected to make a very expensive stab in the dark.

http://www.adobe.com/products/photos...e-version-comp
arison.html

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/features.html
http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-elements/features.html
http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-lightroom/features.html

there are trial versions available as well as plenty of tutorials.

meanwhile, pros will not think twice about buying the full photoshop
because they know that it's the only thing that will do what they need.
you could call that an impulse buy.

What's more, they have probably been taught on Photoshop and know no
other.

that's because there isn't any other that comes close.
Old July 30th 12, 12:21 AM posted to rec.video.desktop,rec.photo.digital,rec.audio.pro
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

And what of those who haven't used them? There are hundreds of new
potential
customers every day who are ignorant of such things. What do you do...
ignore them?

the explanations are on their website as well as other websites. a
quick google search brings up many, many websites that explain the
products, including videos.

http://www.adobe.com/products/photos...rsion-comparis

on.html

Compare products
Find the Photoshop product that's right for you.

If you go buy the URL you have given us above PhotoShop CS6 extended,
Photoshop CS6 and PhotoShop Lightroom 4 all have the following in
common:

* State-of-the-art image processing controls

* Nondestructive editing environment

* Highlight and shadow recovery

* Selective editing brushes for adjusting specific photo areas

* One-click adjustments to multiple images at once

.... but none of these capabilities can be found in either of two
versiins of Photoshop Elements.

Forgetting Elements for the moment, does this mean that PhotoShop CS6
extended, Photoshop CS6 and PhotoShop Lightroom 4 all have exactly the
same capabilities under each of these headings? I doubt it. Most
likely it means that the advertising agency feels it can apply the
same descriptive groups to each of the products.

all of them use camera raw, so there is a lot of commonality, but the
different apps target different users and different tasks. not all
features are available in all apps.

lightroom is mainly an asset manager with the ability to make
adjustments and output in various formats (books, web sites, slide
shows, etc.). it's all most people need. i rarely use photoshop
anymore.

photoshop is mainly an image editor. elements is targeted at the
hobbyist/enthusiast and the full photoshop is targeted at pros. if
you're not a pro you most likely do *not* need the full photoshop.
elements is probably more than enough. if you are a pro, elements won't
cut it.

one big difference that full photoshop has is cmyk. non-pros (and even
some pros) don't need that.

they explain what the apps can do and adobe products are popular
because many of them are extremely good. adobe camera raw is one of the
best raw processing engines around.

This is the kind of information which should be provided by Adobe at
the point of sale.

it is.
Old July 30th 12, 12:21 AM posted to rec.video.desktop,rec.photo.digital,rec.audio.pro
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

Let's just say that the last time I looked at the Adobe site, it was a
mess.
It doesn't explain //anything//.

let's just say you're full of ****.

adobe's web site has always explained their products.

since you're incapable of finding the information yourself, here's a
few links to start you off:

There is a lot of new stuff on the Adobe site. For example the first
URL you have quoted below has a creation date of "2012 - 05 - 24". I'm
pretty sure none of it was present when I last looked.

when did you last look?

cs6 and lightroom 4 came out very recently, so what was there would
have been information about cs5 or even cs4. it was still there, just
about older products.

More to the
point, none of this stuff is of direct help to the would-be buyer.

all of it is.

It's all specific to individual products. Comparing products requires
much thrashing around and extraction of info.

one advantage of a newsgroup is you can ask specific questions rather
than look at feature comparisons. what specifically do you want to do?
Old July 30th 12, 12:21 AM posted to rec.video.desktop,rec.photo.digital,rec.audio.pro
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

there's an overwhelming amount of information about adobe's products,

Tat's the problem. If only someone could summarize and compare the
capabilities of the various products it would be very helpful to the
would-be buyer.

many people have, including adobe. here's a good summary:

http://www.photoshopuser.com/cs6/cs6-features
Old July 30th 12, 12:21 AM posted to rec.video.desktop,rec.photo.digital,rec.audio.pro
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

Adobe, like most software of this type of application, offers trial
downloads. A comprehensive description of the features of Photoshop
would have to be book-like in length.

nonsense. they have descriptions on their web site, including demo
videos, and many third parties write about it too. none are book-like
in length.

And none of them are comprehensive descriptions.

they're comprehensive, but maybe you really do need a book.

here are many videos about cs5. it's probably too soon for a set of cs6
videos. i'd call these very comprehensive.

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/photoshop-...oshop-cs5-over
view/
Old July 30th 12, 12:25 AM posted to rec.video.desktop,rec.photo.digital,rec.audio.pro
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2012-07-29 15:18:01 -0700, Eric Stevens said:

On Sun, 29 Jul 2012 13:04:57 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , tony cooper
wrote:

Photoshop is not an impulse purchase item. Buyers of the full version
are generally informed to some degree by exposure from some other
source. I can't imagine any buyer that made the decision to buy a
product of this cost based solely on what the primary website
describes.

why do non-pro users fixate on the full version of photoshop? it's
*well* beyond anything they need.

all they need is photoshop elements, which is usually around $50 and is
well within 'impulse buy' territory. sometimes it's even bundled for
free with hardware so they don't even need to act on an impulse. they
already have it.

Where can I find out the difference between Elements and full
Photoshop? Where can I find out what I lose/gain by buying Elements
(or Lightroom etc) rather than Photoshop? At the moment I feel as
though I am expected to make a very expensive stab in the dark.

There are trial versions of each.
Also, when using Lightroom you can take your image file which has been
adjusted non-destructively and open it in the photo editor of your
choice to make any adjustments or edits you are not able to complete in
LR.
For example I can make some bulk crops and adjustments in Lightroom,
but there are a few thing I need to do in Photoshop/Element/ even
Paintshop, to finish my work. So I can edit the LR adjusted image, a
copy of it, or the original in Photoshop and then save it back to LR.

It takes little effort to conduct a search.

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/features.html
http://www.adobe.com/products/photos.../features.html
http://www.adobe.com/products/photos.../features.html

http://www.adobe.com/products/photos...omparison.html

http://www.adobe.com/products/photos...ml?PID=2159997

http://prodesigntools.com/version-co...s4-vs-cs3.html

meanwhile, pros will not think twice about buying the full photoshop
because they know that it's the only thing that will do what they need.
you could call that an impulse buy.

What's more, they have probably been taught on Photoshop and know no
other.

So?

Savageduck

Old July 30th 12, 12:48 AM posted to rec.video.desktop,rec.photo.digital,rec.audio.pro
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2012-07-29 15:49:10 -0700, Eric Stevens said:

On Sun, 29 Jul 2012 09:58:10 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

--- snip ---

The basic concept and features are spelled out on the Adobe web site,
If they don't meet, or if they exceed your requirements, don't buy it.
You might want to check out a trial demo version. If it doesn't suit
you, don't buy it, there might be another solution for you.
http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop.html

You seem to be missing the point. The basic question is not 'what does
Photoshop do?' but how do I tell which Adobe product best meets my
needs?

I have provided you with a number of urls which spell out features
found in one product and not in the other.
For example I have no need for the 3D features of CS6/5 extended, so I
didn't buy it.
When CS5 was released I liked the ideal of content aware fill and a few
other new features that came with it. So I upgraded to CS5. I haven't
seen any new features in CS6 which would entice me to upgrade.

Lightroom works as a stand alone image editor and more, as it gives you
a very good catalogue system, and it can integrate with Photoshop, or
any other editor.

Elements gives you many of the editing features of full versions of
Photoshop, but if you are familiar with the full version you could find
it odd to work with.

I believe that you would find Lightroom more than adequate for most of
your needs. There are also some interesting free plugins available for
Lightroom, and many of the well known plugin houses such as NIK have
their offerings installable Photoshop, Lightroom, Elements, and
function as stand-alone modules.

Savageduck

Old July 30th 12, 01:17 AM posted to rec.video.desktop,rec.photo.digital,rec.audio.pro
William Sommerwerck

You seem to be missing the point. The basic question is
not "what does Photoshop do?" but how do I tell which
Adobe product best meets my needs?

Lightroom works as a stand-alone image editor and more,
as it gives you a very good catalogue system, and it can
integrate with Photoshop, or any other editor.

This is the sort of thing I'm complaining about.

If Lightroom has its own editing facilities -- then under what conditions
would I use it, and ignore Photoshop? This isn't a matter of rummaging
through a list of editing features for the two products. Rather, it's
something Adobe should briefly discuss on its Website.

Adobe does not, because it has no understanding of how to sell merchandise.
It just assumes every person who does image editing will rush right out in a
buying frenzy.

Old July 30th 12, 01:27 AM posted to rec.video.desktop,rec.photo.digital,rec.audio.pro
William Sommerwerck

Coming back to the original topic (sort of)...

I inserted an 8GB SD card in the card reader of my Windows 7 notebook and
formatted it as a ReadyBoot disk. (There is no question that it speeds up
startup.)

You don't have to use all the card's memory, so I copied several files as
backups to the card. I wanted to transfer one of them to my desktop
computer, which runs W2K.

BAD idea. W2K doesn't like ReadyBoot disks! I got a lockup and a nasty
restart that dumped me into the BIOS setup. When I restarted, the OS locked
up at the W2K splash screen and wouldn't budge.

I "solved" the problem by forcibly shutting off the machine at the main
power switch. I then removed the card from the reader, and rebooted. The
machine is now back to its old self.

DO NOT PUT A READYBOOT DISK IN A W2K COMPUTER. You are asking for trouble. I
don't know how XP and Vista respond to ReadyBoot disks, but it would seem a
good idea not to find out.

Old July 30th 12, 01:28 AM posted to rec.video.desktop,rec.photo.digital,rec.audio.pro
nospam

In article , William Sommerwerck
wrote:

If Lightroom has its own editing facilities -- then under what conditions
would I use it, and ignore Photoshop?

in nearly all conditions.

the common stuff that people do can be done in lightroom, including
exposure adjustment, brightness, contrast, sharpening, cropping,
rotating, red-eye removal, dust and spotting, and best of all, it's
*all* non-destructive. you can un-crop long after you've cropped and
tweaked the image.

you only need photoshop if you need to do extensive retouching, such as
removing objects from photos, panorama stitching, etc. you can round
trip the photo from lightroom to photoshop and back. it doesn't even
need to be photoshop but obviously, there are advantages in keeping it
in the family.

This isn't a matter of rummaging
through a list of editing features for the two products. Rather, it's
something Adobe should briefly discuss on its Website.

they do discuss it, both in text and in the numerous videos.

Adobe does not, because it has no understanding of how to sell merchandise.
It just assumes every person who does image editing will rush right out in a
buying frenzy.

yet somehow, they're selling products like crazy.