Aren't rechargeables for high current applications?

Old December 8th 08, 10:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_7_]

Default Aren't rechargeables for high current applications?

John Doe wrote:
[]
Without being told, a camera cannot tell the difference between
disposables and rechargeables. That is exactly the point I was
making many messages above before Jack know-it-all butted into the
conversation.

What about if the camera measured /both/ the voltage and the internal
resistance? Could it possibly make a good guess?

David

Old December 8th 08, 10:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mark Thomas

David J Taylor wrote:
John Doe wrote:
[]
Without being told, a camera cannot tell the difference between
disposables and rechargeables. That is exactly the point I was
making many messages above before Jack know-it-all butted into the
conversation.

What about if the camera measured /both/ the voltage and the internal
resistance? Could it possibly make a good guess?

David

Sony does this rather well with its chipped 'InfoLithium' batteries. I
was most impressed with the ones I used (in the f717 and f828), as they
gave very sensible estimates of remaining usage time - neither
optimistic nor pessimistic.

Perhaps you can do it with Lithium Ion, but not NiMh? The fact that
very few other people offer this feature would suggest that it is
difficult to implement (understandable in the case of AA's, where the
camera has no easy way of knowing the chemical formulation, capacity or
design characteristics).
Old December 13th 08, 01:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.design
default[_2_]

On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 00:47:10 -0800 (PST), lens
wrote:

This thread has somewhat degenerated, but I would like to respond to
the OP. The newer hybrid NiMH cells (I like Sanyo Eneloop) transform
AA NiMHs from being completely useless to being an almost universal
replacement for alkalines. I have not purchased an AA alkaline cell in
almost a year since converting to Eneloops. With older NiMH, you would
charge them up, and then when it was time to use them they'd be dead.
Also, no one mentions that this subjects ordinary NiMH cells to many
more charge cycles (recharging cells that self discharge) than they
would otherwise need, and prematurely reduces their life.

With Eneloops I have two boxes labeled "good" and "bad". I have my
family take from "good" and put the dead ones in "bad". This never
worked before, because if the cells sat in the "good" tub for a month,
they would be way down. Now they can sit for a year if necessary. I
also try like hell to standardize everything on AAs: Mini Maglites,
wall clocks, remotes, cameras, etc. It helps that the video game
controllers my kids use are AA powered. Sure, a few things might be
better suited to alkalines (like clocks and remotes) but I still use
Eneloops in them because I'd rather not buy throwaways for anything. I
may have to replace the remote batteries a bit more often than with
alkalines, but the difference is not noticeable.

Hybrid NiMH have completely transformed the utility of rechargeable
AAs for me.

Thanks. The stores where I am are just starting to stock the
"precharged" NiMH batteries. My wife has already abandoned all the
rechargeable's in favor of alkaline's (which she recharges until they
leak) because they hold a charge longer.

Old December 13th 08, 06:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.design
John Doe

lens wrote:

With Eneloops I have two boxes labeled "good" and "bad". I have my
family take from "good" and put the dead ones in "bad". This never
worked before, because if the cells sat in the "good" tub for a
month, they would be way down.

That's what I'm planning to do around here. It's an interesting
scheme IMO. I wonder if testing and charging batteries for others
has been tried on a wide scale, seems like it would be similar to
recycle programs. Maybe that will be implemented for electric car
batteries.