Are Windows repair solutions like a traffic light button?

Old January 25th 19, 10:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default Are Windows repair solutions like a traffic light button?

On Wed, 23 Jan 2019 22:57:37 -0600, Bill W
wrote:

On Wed, 23 Jan 2019 17:49:51 -0800 (PST), RichA
wrote:

Ever notice that almost always, windows "fixes" for things like boot corruption or disk errors never work? They go into endless "diagnosing your pc" and "repairing your pc" loops that themselves need fixing? And before long, you are back at the dinosaur of DOS, fiddling with "fixes" at the command-prompt? Only after all that and worthless "refreshes" do you realize a complete re-install of the operating system is needed?

In the last 25 years, I don't believe I have ever reinstalled windows
to fix a problem.

I've done it at least once. I believe it was Windows 2000.

Eric Stevens
Old January 25th 19, 04:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil[_9_]

On 1/25/2019 8:55 AM, MC wrote:
Eric Stevens wrote:

In the last 25 years, I don't believe I have ever reinstalled
windows to fix a problem.

I've done it at least once. I believe it was Windows 2000.

I first got my Microsoft accreditation using Win 2000. It was a huge,
"modern" leap away from how thing were being done at the time and it
gave commpanies and system admins a much bigger scope for how to they
used their IT. It also means that on the odd occasion it was probably
easier to reinstall than fix. However, an awful lot "faults" occured
not because of Windows 2000 itself but because it was too different for
people to get their heads around.

MC

I think the same can be said for Windows 8.x and 10. The "old ways" of
managing systems are impractical with these versions, and many have a
hard time understanding and accepting the best way to manage them.

--
best regards,

Neil
Old January 25th 19, 05:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Neil
wrote:

In the last 25 years, I don't believe I have ever reinstalled
windows to fix a problem.

I've done it at least once. I believe it was Windows 2000.

I first got my Microsoft accreditation using Win 2000. It was a huge,
"modern" leap away from how thing were being done at the time and it
gave commpanies and system admins a much bigger scope for how to they
used their IT. It also means that on the odd occasion it was probably
easier to reinstall than fix. However, an awful lot "faults" occured
not because of Windows 2000 itself but because it was too different for
people to get their heads around.

I think the same can be said for Windows 8.x and 10. The "old ways" of
managing systems are impractical with these versions, and many have a
hard time understanding and accepting the best way to manage them.

anything that requires the user to manually manage it is fundamentally
broken.
Old January 26th 19, 05:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil[_9_]

On 1/25/2019 11:14 AM, nospam wrote:

anything that requires the user to manually manage it is fundamentally
broken.

It will be interesting to see how long your car lasts without an oil change.

--
best regards,

Neil
Old January 26th 19, 10:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Fri, 25 Jan 2019 23:28:19 -0500, Neil
wrote:

On 1/25/2019 11:14 AM, nospam wrote:

anything that requires the user to manually manage it is fundamentally
broken.

It will be interesting to see how long your car lasts without an oil change.

.... or his clothing without laundering.

Eric Stevens
Old January 26th 19, 03:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Neil
wrote:

anything that requires the user to manually manage it is fundamentally
broken.

It will be interesting to see how long your car lasts without an oil change.

that's not the same thing and you know it.

and for an electric vehicle, there is no oil to change.
Old January 26th 19, 03:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , MC
wrote:

I think the same can be said for Windows 8.x and 10. The "old ways"
of managing systems are impractical with these versions, and many
have a hard time understanding and accepting the best way to manage
them.

anything that requires the user to manually manage it is fundamentally
broken.

There is a difference between flexibility, allowing the user to tweek
and manage his/her OS as he/she sees fit, and low maintenance. MS have
a difficult problem with balancing the two, and the main reason thay
have always released different versions of their current Windows, so
people can choose their level of flexibility against level of
automation. Nobody wants an OS that cannot be tweeked to perform and
work to a set requirement

few people tweak the os itself. there is no need.

what people do is install apps to do whatever tasks they have.

yet nobody wants to have to spend half their
time on a PC performing housekeeping, although all OS's require some
housekeeping of some discription.

nope. definitely not all.

you're so used to dealing with windows being broken and *needing*
housekeeping that you assume every other os is equally broken.

fortunately, that's not the case.

Even a carpet needs vaccuming once
in a while.

irrelevant. a carpet is not an operating system.
Old January 26th 19, 10:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 1/25/2019 11:28 PM, Neil wrote:
On 1/25/2019 11:14 AM, nospam wrote:

anything that requires the user to manually manage it is fundamentally
broken.

It will be interesting to see how long your car lasts without an oil
change.

It could last for years, if he doesn't drive it.

--
PeterN
Old January 26th 19, 10:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , MC
wrote:

I think the same can be said for Windows 8.x and 10. The "old
ways" of managing systems are impractical with these versions,
and many have a hard time understanding and accepting the best
way to manage them.

anything that requires the user to manually manage it is
fundamentally broken.

There is a difference between flexibility, allowing the user to
tweek and manage his/her OS as he/she sees fit, and low
maintenance. MS have a difficult problem with balancing the two,
and the main reason thay have always released different versions of
their current Windows, so people can choose their level of
flexibility against level of automation. Nobody wants an OS that
cannot be tweeked to perform and work to a set requirement

few people tweak the os itself. there is no need.

What about access permissions, for a start. A very common tweak.

what about them? that's not 'a very common tweak', and is rarely even
needed. that's also not an ongoing management task either.

what people do is install apps to do whatever tasks they have.

Not necessarily. Some OS functions are built in to manage a network,
for example or to manage input/output functionality, act as gateways
etc.

that's not a typical end user task and is best done upstream on a
router or switch. you're also confusing initial setup with ongoing
management.

yet nobody wants to have to spend half their
time on a PC performing housekeeping, although all OS's require some
housekeeping of some discription.

nope. definitely not all.

Name one. And I do not mean custom written OS's for one specific task
or where there is no means to access the OS on a consumer level. I
mean generic OS's that run multi use computing devices like PCs,
tablets, phones etc.

only one? that's too easy. chrome os.

microsoft intentionally designed windows to be difficult to use and
needing ongoing maintenance to create an entire industry of people to
fix it, who then sell service contracts and lock people into windows.

suggesting a better alternative would mean they'd be out of a job.

any os where one has to spend 'half their time' (your words) with
housekeeping tasks is very, very broken. how can anyone get any work
done?

other operating systems do not require anywhere near the level of
maintenance and support that windows does. what's truly sad is that
many people think that's how things must be.

fortunately, companies are realizing there *are* alternatives and
choosing them.

(I know how argumentative and pedantic you can
be).

ad hominem.

you're so used to dealing with windows being broken and needing
housekeeping that you assume every other os is equally broken.

fortunately, that's not the case.

Even simple tasks like keeping files in order is housekeeping (file
system is managed by the OS by the way)

that's a contradiction.

if the file system is managed by the os, then the user doesn't need to
do anything.

windows doesn't do that, instead putting the burden on the user.

Also, a design fault (all OS's have/had them) does not necessarily mean
an entire OS is broken.

of course it does. a design fault is fundamentally broken. that's the
whole point. someone *wanted* it that way and rejected better options.
that's why it's called a design *fault*.

that's not the same as a bug, which is unintentional and happens,
sometimes more than one would prefer. nothing is perfect.

Broken: Something that does not do what is used to do.

nope. that's called a change, not breakage.

a change is not necessarily bad. many times it's good.

This does, indeed, occassionally happen to from time to time with
elements of all OS's and this is usually down to an update or change
not integrating correctly with another element withing the OS.

if one part of the os doesn't integrate with another part of the same
os, then that's a broken update.

such an update was not properly tested, which has nothing to do with
maintenance, but rather lack of testing and/or design fault.

Even a carpet needs vaccuming once
in a while.

irrelevant. a carpet is not an operating system.

It was merely a metaphore. After all, you did say, "ANYTHING that
requires the user to manually manage it is fundamentally broken".

it's a bad metaphor.

carpets get dirty and need periodic cleaning.

computers do not.

and carpet cleaning does not need to be done manually, so even though
it's a bad metaphor, it actually supports my point:
https://store.irobot.com/default/robot-vacuum-roomba/
https://www.eufylife.com
Old January 26th 19, 11:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Sat, 26 Jan 2019 09:25:26 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Neil
wrote:

anything that requires the user to manually manage it is fundamentally
broken.

It will be interesting to see how long your car lasts without an oil change.

that's not the same thing and you know it.

and for an electric vehicle, there is no oil to change.

Hold to that opinion for long enough and the transmission will tell
you otherwise.

Eric Stevens