Alrighty!! I want an M3!! Opinions sought!

Old January 3rd 05, 03:20 AM

The best there is. Get an MP, the latest, with a built-in light meter.
It looks exactly like an M-3.
http://www.leica-camera.com/produkte...m/index_e.html

Old January 3rd 05, 03:32 AM
ColynG©

On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 21:44:55 -0600, "Jos. Burke"
wrote:

I 've got an itch for a Leica M3--I normally a MF (Hasselblad) user so
the mechanics (all manual) is not an issue!! I have a Canon Dig Rebel/(Canon
Film SLR too!) I play with but I long for a classic. I'm curious as to
whether the Leica can live up to my expectations as my Canon film SLR
results never have!
Just how much better are the Leica lenses as compared to the "others"?

You can't go wrong with the M3. I have 2 myself.

You're trying to compare a plastic bodied auto camera to a fully
mechanical manual focus camera. The Canon is a comsumer grade model
whereas the Leica is/was geared to the working pro. However even your
Canon is capable of pro quality so if you can't achive quality with
it, you may not be able to do so with the Leica either..

Colyn Goodson
http://home.swbell.net/colyng
http://www.colyngoodson.com

Old January 3rd 05, 08:25 AM
Chris Loffredo

The best there is. Get an MP, the latest, with a built-in light meter.
It looks exactly like an M-3.
http://www.leica-camera.com/produkte...m/index_e.html

The "best there is" is arguable, but they are excellent.

I would NOT advise the MP because of a film rewind knob instead of
lever: A bad example of losing fuctionality for retro aesthetics.
For the same reason I would not reccomend the M3 itself (though it is
georgeous), as well as having more difficult film loading and no built
in viewfinder frame for 35mm lenses.

My own reccomendation would be an M4 (or M4-2 - you lose a little
charisma there) if you can live without a built-in light meter, or the
metered M6, which is my favorite user.

Chris

Old January 3rd 05, 01:30 PM

Jos. Burke wrote:
I 've got an itch for a Leica M3--I normally a MF (Hasselblad) user

so
the mechanics (all manual) is not an issue!! I have a Canon Dig

Rebel/(Canon
Film SLR too!) I play with but I long for a classic. I'm curious as

whether the Leica can live up to my expectations as my Canon film SLR
results never have!

What expectations do you have? what results do you want?

Sounds like you want something more portable than your hassy. I think
you should perhaps consider a medium format rangefinder. I had a fuji
GA645 and would recommend it. It isn't much bigger than a leica. It
also isn't expensive on ebay, I sold mine for =A3360 and that's much
less than a leica, though it will probably give you better results
thanks to the MF.

Old January 3rd 05, 02:09 PM
Scott Schuckert

In article , Jos. Burke
wrote:

I 've got an itch for a Leica M3--I normally a MF (Hasselblad) user so
the mechanics (all manual) is not an issue!! I have a Canon Dig Rebel/(Canon
Film SLR too!) I play with but I long for a classic. I'm curious as to
whether the Leica can live up to my expectations as my Canon film SLR
results never have!
Just how much better are the Leica lenses as compared to the "others"?

The M3, while a classic, lovely camera is getting a little long in
tooth - old enough for even these durable cameras to start getting
tired. I'd echo someone else's recommendation for the M4/M4-2. They're
newer, more repairable, and have much the same "ambiance". I spent some
years with an M4-2 outfit and miss it.

Will it meet your expectations? Perhaps not. You don't say what was
"wrong" with your Canon experience, but I'm assuming it's picture
quality, based on your question about lenses.

If we're comparing apples to apples - meaning fixed focal length
lenses, with good film and careful technique - you should not see a
significant improvement. If you've been using the "kit" short zoom on
the Canon, and leaving everything on automatic - the Leica will show
much superior optics and will enforce better technique.

These days, while I have modern and elaborate Nikon AF gear, I feel I
take better pictures with my ancient Leica IIIg. But ONLY because it
forces me to slow down and use it properly, NOT because the lenses have
some "magical" property.

Old January 3rd 05, 05:34 PM
Tony

If you arent getting good shots with one good camera, a different good
camera is not going to improve your shooting. Spend the money for a course
on photography.

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto