Least useful accessory products for photography.

Old February 5th 09, 02:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
C J Campbell

Default Least useful accessory products for photography.

On 2009-02-04 18:59:32 -0800, tony cooper said:

I was talking with a photographer today that shoots a lot of bird
pictures with a 500mm lens. Her camera is mounted on a gun stock
arrangement and she holds it like a shotgun. Some sort of release on
the stock. She described it, but I haven't seen it.

Dunno if she bought it or had it fabricated.

The Bush Hawk shoulder mount. I have one of those. They actually work.
I took one on my last trip to Florida and used it with a 400 mm lens in
an airboat.

The only complaint I have about it is that the shoulder pad keeps
coming off. I need to figure some way of securing it better.

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old February 5th 09, 03:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
C J Campbell

On 2009-02-04 19:37:49 -0800, Paul Furman said:

tony cooper wrote:
Paul Furman wrote:

OK here's one I got, a Manfrotto Long Lens Support

I was talking with a photographer today that shoots a lot of bird
pictures with a 500mm lens. Her camera is mounted on a gun stock

Not a good choice for urban photography in post-9-11 USA g

A 500 mm lens is not a good choice for urban photography, period.
However, I have had no one even take a second look at the Bush Hawk.
The shoulder mount is dwarfed by the camera and lens. Disassembled it
looks like a gun stock. Once a camera is mounted on it, it is no more
threatening than some flash brackets I have seen.

Old February 5th 09, 03:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
C J Campbell

On 2009-02-04 15:40:22 -0800, Alan Browne
said:

There are many, of course, but what are the photography products you
believe or know are most useless.

Top of my list is the "Expodisc" - this was originally marketed to help
people nail their exposure. With the instant feedback of digital
cameras it is now marketed to help with white balance. I guess they
get good grades for a quick switch of "benefit".

Second would be the little add on widget for the monitor on DSLR's to
shade them from the sun (and I fell for that one). What really counts
is what shirt or jacket you're wearing: all white - you can't see the
screen.

All the thick padding in most camera bags (Lowe is one of the worst
offenders) adds little protection and a lot of weight while greatly
reducing bag capacity.

Old February 5th 09, 03:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Tony Cooper

On Thu, 5 Feb 2009 06:56:51 -0800, C J Campbell

On 2009-02-04 18:59:32 -0800, tony cooper said:

I was talking with a photographer today that shoots a lot of bird
pictures with a 500mm lens. Her camera is mounted on a gun stock
arrangement and she holds it like a shotgun. Some sort of release on
the stock. She described it, but I haven't seen it.

Dunno if she bought it or had it fabricated.

The Bush Hawk shoulder mount. I have one of those. They actually work.
I took one on my last trip to Florida and used it with a 400 mm lens in
an airboat.

Though I've lived in Florida for about 30 years, I've never been in an
airboat. It's one of those things I've always wanted to do but never
got around to doing. One of these days I'll drive over to The Lone
Cabbage and book a ride.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old February 5th 09, 04:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Ofnuts

Paul Furman wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:
Paul Furman wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:

There are many, of course, but what are the photography products you
believe or know are most useless.

There's all the stuff that comes in a 'kit' package.

You need something to pile in the attic or crawl space...

I was thinking, though, in terms of third party widgetry...

OK here's one I got, a Manfrotto Long Lens Support:
http://www.morrisphoto.co.uk/Product... ryid~158.html

The page seems to have vanished but the same shop carries someting even
less useful from Manfrotto:

http://www.morrisphoto.co.uk/Product...ctID~6267.html

--
Bertrand
Old February 5th 09, 05:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

Paul Furman wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:
Paul Furman wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:

There are many, of course, but what are the photography products you
believe or know are most useless.

There's all the stuff that comes in a 'kit' package.

You need something to pile in the attic or crawl space...

I was thinking, though, in terms of third party widgetry...

OK here's one I got, a Manfrotto Long Lens Support:
http://www.morrisphoto.co.uk/Product... ryid~158.html

It's three parts as a kit, a mini ball-head #482, extension arm #3253
and the part that clamps on your tripod leg: Art. 035 max load 15kg. The
idea is to put the mini-ball head in your camera body with a lens that
has it's own mount, for better stability. It doesn't work. I thought up
the idea myself then learned such a thing exists. It was about $60. It's
almost sort of useful for clamping a P&S to a pipe or something but not
really. Quality construction. The clamp thing is powerful. The extension
arm is from the center of their big pro tripods. But it doesn't help
with long lenses, there's still a little play and it's horrible trying
to adjust your view with the thing on. Maybe it helps with the enormous
setup in the illustration on that link.

I've seen those (or similar) in use with 600mm lenses. You have to have
quick hands (releasing and setting the telescoping part while
repointing... not sure how well it would work with the Wimberley [which
I sold last week]).

Out of the whole setup, the only thing of use is the clamp. Gotta get a
few of those for the studio.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old February 5th 09, 05:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

On 2009-02-04 15:40:22 -0800, Alan Browne
said:

There are many, of course, but what are the photography products you
believe or know are most useless.

Top of my list is the "Expodisc" - this was originally marketed to
help people nail their exposure. With the instant feedback of digital
cameras it is now marketed to help with white balance. I guess they
get good grades for a quick switch of "benefit".

Second would be the little add on widget for the monitor on DSLR's to
shade them from the sun (and I fell for that one). What really counts
is what shirt or jacket you're wearing: all white - you can't see the
screen.

Actually, I like the ExpoDisc.

If you understand what you're doing (and I'm sure you do) then you have
no need for the thing, IMO.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old February 5th 09, 06:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

On 2009-02-04 15:40:22 -0800, Alan Browne
said:

There are many, of course, but what are the photography products you
believe or know are most useless.

Top of my list is the "Expodisc" - this was originally marketed to
help people nail their exposure. With the instant feedback of digital
cameras it is now marketed to help with white balance. I guess they
get good grades for a quick switch of "benefit".

Second would be the little add on widget for the monitor on DSLR's to
shade them from the sun (and I fell for that one). What really counts
is what shirt or jacket you're wearing: all white - you can't see the
screen.

All the thick padding in most camera bags (Lowe is one of the worst
offenders) adds little protection and a lot of weight while greatly
reducing bag capacity.

I have two Lowepro bags and I sold a new condition Lowepro backpack last
night (that in retro I never should have bought).

I noticed that my older Lowepro bag which is always stuffed to straining
is over 10 years old and is beginning to show wear but will doubtless go
another 10 - 20 years. Just made tough. I like the padding because it
DOES provide protection by absorbing vibration and minor shocks.

Further it is a great insulator and in winter or summer keeps the camera
and film at a fairly constant temperature while the whole kit is in the
trunk of the car. I don't think the padding ads up to very much weight.

OTOH, for climbing trails I throw everything into a 30 litre backpack.
Everything bouncing together. No harm to date.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old February 5th 09, 06:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

Ofnuts wrote:

The page seems to have vanished but the same shop carries someting even
less useful from Manfrotto:

http://www.morrisphoto.co.uk/Product...ctID~6267.html

Not so useless when you're outdoor at -20C in a good wind, I assure you.

However, rather than buying these, you just take 3/4" or 1" copper pipe
insulating neoprene or polyethylene foam sleeves and cut to length, slip
over the legs and tape in place. $3.00 in all.

I did this for my Manfrotto 190 legs (and my SO's) and Manfrotto 58B
legs (since removed for sale).

Or, get the carbon fibre legs which don't suck the heat out of your hands.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old February 5th 09, 06:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

Annika1980 wrote:
On Feb 4, 9:38 pm, Paul Furman wrote:
OK here's one I got, a Manfrotto Long Lens Support:http://www.morrisphoto.co.uk/Product...to~productID~5...

I've used a similar arrangement by using a monopod along with a
tripod.
http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/79354185

Neat setup at least if the monopod legs 'fall' easily when adjusting.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.